• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hormone spray could banish shyness

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I don't really think it's a good idea to modify people's behavior with hormones. Firstly, we don't know if this is advisable, safe, or what the long-term effects are. Secondly, couldn't things like this be used to modify people's behavior on a whim, eliminating diversity to some degree? It could lead to pressure on people who don't like to interact much with others to change because of this "treatment" being available.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Freaky. I didn't realize there were any non fertility applications for oxytocin.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I don't really think it's a good idea to modify people's behavior with hormones.

Hormones are our friend. Everyone should have some.

But the seeming immorality of the "compulsory social butterfly treatment" has been noted.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
But the seeming immorality of the "compulsory social butterfly treatment" has been noted.

Yes, it's horrible. A tragedy! I am completely against this.

Do they sell it by the gallon by any chance?

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
It could lead to pressure on people who don't like to interact much with others to change because of this "treatment" being available.

or the reverse to prevent soical interactions/altercations?

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't like these type of things, trying to change a person's shyness. It's apart of their personality! :/ I'm sure it has good uses, I just don't like the idea of altering someone in that way.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I don't like these type of things, trying to change a person's shyness. It's apart of their personality! :/ I'm sure it has good uses, I just don't like the idea of altering someone in that way.

I'm just curious - do you see drinking as something different?

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm just curious - do you see drinking as something different?
I guess? :huh: I'm too young to drink so I'm not sure how it really affects a person (besides intoxication, a little sedating?) I mean, I take pills for depression, anxiety, ADD which makes me feel more energized, which I like, but at first I was scared. I mean, Hell, if it's what a person wants, go for it. I've always been uncomfortable with stuff like this, though. I can't explain why. I guess, in a way, if it were me it'd geel like it was controlling my will, making me want to be outgoing. I suppose the thought of someone (like a kid/teenager) being made to do it would feel like a terrible thing to me. Like I said, I can't explain it. So don't expect me to logically back-it-up :blush:

I mean, shyness is the result of a person being scared, second-guessing what they'll say, feeling insecure, etc. (there's obviously many reasons for a person to be shy.) But isn't that just how a person is? How they think?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I guess? :huh: I'm too young to drink so I'm not sure how it really affects a person (besides intoxication, a little sedating?) I mean, I take pills for depression, anxiety, ADD.
I mean, Hell, if it's what a person wants, go for it. I've always been uncomfortable with stuff like this, though. I can't explain why. I guess, in a way, if it were me it'd be like controlling my will in a way. Like I said, I can't explain it. :blush:

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't drink or anything like that for the same reasons - I was just curious how it compared :D If both bother you then it makes sense!

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't drink or anything like that for the same reasons - I was just curious how it compared :D If both bother you then it makes sense!
Yeah, that's me and my weird phobias :rolli:

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, that's me and my weird phobias :rolli:

Oh, it's not that weird of a phobia. I have the same ones, which is why I'm highly suspicious and a bit fearful of anything beyond over-the-counter ibuprofen and anything that might affect my ability to think and make decisions clearly. I'm a control freak over my body. ;)

On topic. I think it's ridiculous. A spray won't banish shyness in the long-term. Shyness is caused by specific modes of thinking which, when properly addressed, can be changed with effort. And I don't think it can ever be banished, only controlled.

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Oh, it's not that weird of a phobia. I have the same ones, which is why I'm highly suspicious and a bit fearful of anything beyond over-the-counter ibuprofen and anything that might affect my ability to think and make decisions clearly. I'm a control freak over my body. ;)

On topic. I think it's ridiculous. A spray won't banish shyness in the long-term. Shyness is caused by specific modes of thinking which, when properly addressed, can be changed with effort. And I don't think it can ever be banished, only controlled.
I'm the same way x_x I hate the thought of not being in control of myself D:

I absolutely agree :yes:

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

I should mention that it's mostly used for retraining, not for casual use. In that capacity, it's a really good thing - it gets over the hump that can prevent people from being reconditioned.

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
The neurotransmitter is released in men and women during orgasm and women when their nipples get stimulated. I wouldn't mind having an inhaler in my pocket to relieve boredom....

Forget the shyness relief, it's an instant orgasm.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An anti-shyness spray could be just the thing for me. Who cares about the long-term effects? Everything we do right now has an unforeseeable long-term consequence.

All my life, I've taken anti-depressants and anti-psychotics and they never did anything to relieve my shyness or my anxiety which is preventing me from moving up in the world. They just made me more dependent on them, so when I try to stop taking them, I have very unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

I'm actually against the idea of medication (unless you're physically sick or in pain), but unfortunately, my parents weren't, and so now I'm addicted to these prescription drugs. I think the fact that I've been dependent on mind-altering medications such as Paxil for so long, I've forgotten who I truly am. Medications just mess with your normal chemical functions.

I should check out this hormone spray, though, if only to give me the extra push of getting off my ass and finding a new job.