User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    infp

As FM and some others said, the world is just too bizarre to possibly take entirely seriously. Things seem to work in the opposite way you would expect, or even that would logically make any sense. Structures are as obtuse as they are constructed. And when the entire world is so much bigger than us... sometimes you just have to have a little fun, like a mouse running through the cracks in the wall.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    What is the secret to taking yourself less seriously?
    Anything I say won't be enough; you've got to try.

Anyone can be told that 2x2=4, but unless you understand why, you're just as dumb as the person that doesn't know.

The 4 in this situation is "Life is not an audition; life is an experience. You belong just as much as the next guy."

But the understanding can only come from your personal experience.

You tell us what the secret is when you find out. That which takes years to develop cannot be taught in one post.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

I took myself seriously once, my parents took me to see a psychiatrist to make sure nothing was wrong. Never did it again.

If you really need some help, I recommend you watch the following video in its entirety.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91rcbRgMgGE"]The landlord say your rent is late = he may have to litigate.[/YOUTUBE]
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

Mempy, what does it mean, to you, to take yourself too seriously? I'd like a personal example or two of when you think you're actually doing it.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Take myself less seriously? That's easier said than done. If anyone figures it out, let me know how.

I think that the answer probably lies in detaching one's sense of self-worth and contentment from various standards and conditions. The problem would be the details of finding a workable, healthy way of doing that on a consistent basis.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Interesting thoughts as I read throughout the post. I agree that there is absurdity aplenty throughout the world, but that fact is enough that I take myself even more seriously. Some of the posts I've read equate taking yourself seriously to more stress, and I don't see the connection; except for the fact that some care about how others perceive them and get stressed about that perception.

A few days ago I went to work on a "casual" day (no classes in session) at a different school and I made the unholy mistake of wearing a tie. I didn't wear it to get questioned - I wear a tie to work every day. It was amazing how many people asked why I was wearing it. "Doesn't he know it's casual day?" "Why is he wearing that tie?" One person was almost insistent that I take the tie off. And the question that was right on the heels of their observations was, "Why are you so serious?"

I replied "Why do you want me to be like you?"

It's almost laughable how much others try to project themselves onto someone else. I won't speculate as to why people do it (it's real easy to say their behavior is compensatory for something they lack, but that's glossing over a lot of unknowns), but it's amazing how many "professional" people do it. It's as if once they've attained their "status" then they can put their life in cruise control and rest on their ass waving their business card at you.

I think being taken seriously is a compliment, and I can't expect anyone else to do so if I don't do it myself.
    ...doesn't work or play well with others...

MBTI
    infp

I have a question. It's a serious question, too. It is not a joke, and it is not the lead-up to some smack-in-the-face-joke later on. It is fully intended to inspire your deepest and most profound introspection on the nature of your life, your environment, and your concept of self and it's relationship to the world at large.

Do you mow your lawn?

If yes, think about what that is, and rethink the idea of seriousness. If no, disregard this post.