User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

E-zay: practice laughing at your errors.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

For me it is letting go of preconceived notions about life and what to expect from it. There isn't anything to live up to, but instead just go about living. I always felt most serious when I felt pressured to be someone or accomplish some particular thing in order to be acceptable. It's easier to have simpler motivations, laugh at shortcomings, and accept oneself complete with failures and foibles.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

For me it is letting go of preconceived notions about life and what to expect from it. There isn't anything to live up to, but instead just go about living. I always felt most serious when I felt pressured to be someone or accomplish some particular thing in order to be acceptable. It's easier to have simpler motivations, laugh at shortcomings, and accept oneself complete with failures and foibles.
    This is my rut! Though I seem to over-pressure myself and turn something small into a self esteem issue; Leading to depression or rage, depending on what the problem is or what EnType I decided to take on that day ()

For me, jealousy and perfectionism are the two main hurdles too staying light. I've had some great 'ENFP Days' where nothing mattered as much. Sure things needed to be done, but I didnt agonize over them.

Its an energy thing I guess. When I have high energy, I can live a lot easier and more positive. On bad days I sink into my mind and its kind of like rolling around through life in a hamster ball.

I bet everyone has similar days anyway
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

It's not so much taking yourself less seriously as in making time where you can relax and be silly. Be serious where you need to be, and for the trivial, don't sweat it. What I usually do is go try or learn something completely different from your work. Since it's in no way in relations to your competency at your job, you can just do whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    I don't know if you can learn how to do this, or even if it's desirable. I see absurdity in almost everything, I don't look for it, it's just there. It's related to cynicism - which is not a desirable trait. In good humour it makes me laugh, in bad it makes me irritable. In either, I can't take most things, including myself, seriously.

I hope you appreciate how difficult it was for me to give you a serious answer.
    Agreed for the most part, except that I think it's definitely desirable. I think learning to take yourself less seriously starts with realizing the absurdity of the larger world around you. It takes a bit of perspective, which is generally lacking when you take yourself too seriously. For this reason, I think it's hard to think like that if you're not naturally inclined to. But absurdity is everywhere and capriciousness abounds. If you understand those things, you'll avoid creating too many expectations about the results of your personal decisions and actions, and that's the heart of not taking yourself seriously.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Oh, I'm a total goofball until someone else doesn't take me seriously. Then watch out.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Viewing things in a large perspective and relating to the "big picture" can help one take things less seriously.

Getting hung up over little things can seem quite absurd, then.

MBTI
    INFJ

A high school friend used to say, "Who's going to care in 20 years?"
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    A high school friend used to say, "Who's going to care in 20 years?"
    Yes.

Except, let's not care right now.