User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    When you rationalize a decision, you are constructing a logical justification. Conditioned responses have no logical justification from the subject's perspective. They are reflexes, reactions. This makes them irrational because they are not arrived at through a conscious decision making process.
    How do you tell the difference? Give me a rational choice you have made that could only come from the full fledged analytical and pre-binding conclusion that a rational choice would be. I'm still hunting for one.

We procrastinate, in short, because we have not gotten the prompts that would make us act (and on the other side, because we may have gotten prompts that would prompt behavior). In the simplest terms, negative conditioning for acting leads to a lack of acting. And perceived negative feedback for simulating action.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

For me, procrastination is based off of the work more than the time I have to do it. It also depends on if I feel I can get the job done in the time-period given. I also don't like to leave a part of the job hanging and would rather finish early with things feeling 'settled' (Though the whole job is incomplete) than have a certain part of it only partially finished.

I work better with my own internal standards than with someone else's. It's better that they give what I need to do and the time-frame to do it in. Besides that, its harder for me to know what the person is expecting. That's when perfectionism sets in.

On the flipside, if I dont like what theyre expecting (Ie it seems frivolous or wasted effort) I wont do it. Or if I HAVE to, I procrastinate until I 'feel up to the [droll] task.'

MBTI
    ISTP

I procrastinate because I don't feel like doing something, so I put it off, until the last possible time to do it. Then I work hard thanks to the deadline, and get it done in 1/10th of the time it would have taken me otherwise, because I would have gotten bored/annoyed and stopped doing it if the deadline wasn't immediate. (Some things also just get procrastinated and eventually dropped, like certain school assignments I don't want to do....)
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I procrastinate out of a natural drive to: Maximize time enjoyed and minimize time not enjoyed, with preference given to the present.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I don't know...if I really wanted to, I could just work 4 nights and finish everything (basically, my work never finishes in certain moments of time, given that I translate - I have 10 jobs in line that I have to do for the 15th of December, for example), however that would probably lower my productivity during the next days given that I'll be more tired. It's an optimization problem without an easy solution.
    Oh yeah, they're not always just excuses.. sometimes I know that I just can't tackle things until I get some sleep, manage my responsibilities and when I'm going to do them, or get myself into the right mindset. But people can put off something relatively important for a long, long time because they don't think they have the time when they could clearly cut out some other obligation or just think about where their time is actually going.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I procrastinate out of a natural drive to: Maximize time enjoyed and minimize time not enjoyed, with preference given to the present.
    When I procrastinate, this pretty much describes my motivation, too.

I'm often waiting til I'm in a good groove to rock something.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

In my case, procrastination is due to a) Boring task, b) wrong timing c) low priority, d) extreme fear of how to handle the situation, and thinking of handling it makes me physically nauseous.

And sometimes it helps to postpone it as you'll get a luminous idea on how to solve the situation. Other times...you just keep finding ways to keep from doing it
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INXP

Partly I'm lazy, partly I enjoy knowing there is something that needs to be done and I'm avoiding it

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    And sometimes it helps to postpone it as you'll get a luminous idea on how to solve the situation. Other times...you just keep finding ways to keep from doing it
    It's true, Ne sometimes just needs time to figure stuff out in the background. Sometimes you need to wait for that Eureka moment - you can't force that with a schedule. Schedules frighten Ne away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Tell me about it *grin*
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”