User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 40

  1. #11
    Senior Member Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    istp
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    So you're saying conditioned behavior is rational, by definition. I don't agree with that, at all.
    yes, in other words there is a rationale behind it

    if you didn't know that stoves can be hot, then it would seem irrational to avoid touching them so vehemently, compared to any given object. the conditioned behavior is not to touch something that is hot... generally i consider CBs to be rational in-and-of-themselves unless there is an exception, such as the stove not being turned on.

    to apply here, the cost-benefit analysis for those who procrastinate favors doing something else before the task in question, as a rule of thumb. there can be exceptions here too, but until someone has a reason to do something sooner rather than later, the rational behind procrastination wins, and that is that immediate benefits are worth more than only potentially suffering consequences.

    for example, task A is undesirable, activity B is desirable... let's say someone does activity B, reaps the positive emotional experience, then accomplishes task A within their deadline (albeit with less breathing room)... meaning they were able to benefit both in activity B and in avoiding the consequences of not doing task A. or they could partake in activity B, find that whoever assigned them task A no longer needs it done. or that they again do activity B, accomplish task A late, and are mildly berated but ultimately that consequence does not compete with the benefit of activity B. if we replay any of these scenarios with the person doing task A, they miss out on activity B for potentially no reason.

    when this sort of thing happens over and over again, im sure you can understand why people begin to prefer procrastination. really, the concept of procrastination is illogical, it is saying that certain choices have innate value and that priorities can be determined on an objective basis.


    edit: if procrastination is merely opportunism in practice, then the only argument for not procrastinating is when the value (subjective) of accomplishing the task in question is greater than the sum of the benefits of the opportunities one took advantage of that prevented its completion.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Wild horses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    1,917

    Default

    ... because I am EXTREMELY lazy and because I get a high from that period just before things are about to happen.... (Thats why Friday is amazing but Saturday is crap)
    ... couldn't drag me away

    Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

  3. #13
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    yes, in other words there is a rational behind it

    if you didn't know that stoves were hot, then it would seem irrational to avoid touching them so vehemently, compared to any given object.
    When you rationalize a decision, you are constructing a logical justification. Conditioned responses have no logical justification from the subject's perspective. They are reflexes, reactions. This makes them irrational because they are not arrived at through a conscious decision making process.

    That is not to say they cannot be rationalized after the fact, which is what you and the article have done. Anything can be rationalized after the fact.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  4. #14
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    There's risk/reward element involved. I love to do things at the eleventh hour, to make it somewhere 'by the skin of my teeth'.
    Somehow it's so much more satisfying. I guess it's the adrenaline buzz.

    I also find that Parkinson's Law holds true in my case - a task will expand to fill the time available (I too am a perfectionist). So putting it off effectively rations the available time to spend on it.

    I'm just rationalizing now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  5. #15
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    i think i work better under pressure when i don't have time to be wishy washy...the more time i have the more i'll get caught up in the details and drive myself nuts.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  6. #16
    Senior Member Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    istp
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    There's risk/reward element involved. I love to do things at the eleventh hour, to make it somewhere 'by the skin of my teeth'.
    Somehow it's so much more satisfying. I guess it's the adrenaline buzz.
    for me, it's that i can take advantage of all the opportunities in spite of the task id like to avoid, and then still accomplish it when it becomes an absolute necessity. when i have no more time to spare, as you say, is when i like to do it because at that point i have exhausted all my options.

    ironically, i think it is that i am too efficiency-minded not to procrastinate.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    i think i work better under pressure when i don't have time to be wishy washy...the more time i have the more i'll get caught up in the details and drive myself nuts.
    Yeah. Give me an hour, I'll start in 55 minutes.

  8. #18
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    I've thought a lot about procrastination, since it's a pretty big theme in my life. I'll post my ideas a little later.

  9. #19
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    I don't procrastinate that often - I like to do things, and if I fail, no big deal - at least I tried and I'll do better next time. I don't know if "not having time to do things" or "being too tired to do something" counts as procrastination.

    When I do, it's because I really dislike the task I have to do.

    I really dislike working under pressure. I actually work very fast usually, however when I am under pressure I go slower.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I don't procrastinate that often - I like to do things, and if I fail, no big deal - at least I tried and I'll do better next time.
    I'm sure you realize that this logic is type specific. Mine is more like "I don't like to do 75% of all the things there are to do, so if I do anything, I'm bound to have to do something I don't want to do. I'm going to think for a while."

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I really dislike working under pressure. I actually work very fast usually, however when I am under pressure I go slower.
    Heh. Put me on the clock, I'll tear your ass apart! Figuratively speaking.

Similar Threads

  1. Why do you do it?
    By Mycroft in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-27-2016, 01:17 PM
  2. [ENFP] Why Do you love ENFP's?
    By littledarling in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 399
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 11:00 PM
  3. Why do you have deficit of self-esteem?
    By Virtual ghost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 03:25 AM
  4. Why do you support Obama?
    By Metamorphosis in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 12:30 AM
  5. Why do you give rep points?
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 02:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO