User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy leadership?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes; and I covet it.

11 14.47%
  • Yes; however, I will serve wherever I am needed.

20 26.32%
  • No; but occasionally someone needs to step forward.

40 52.63%
  • No; and if you ask me to lead, I will decline.

5 6.58%
123 Last

Thread: Leadership

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Default Leadership

Manager of a project, captain of a team, principal of a company: have you been there, and did you want to be?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Of course I do. You make me laugh.

I had a lifelong desire to be a filmmaker.

But since filmmaking involved having to work with other people who might be able to think, I switched to writing; that way I'm the writer, director, and producer. That way, I have total control.

Unfortunately, most of my family dismissed my career desires as being unrealistic, so in return, that made me less motivated. Hence, my ideas remain in my head and hard to express.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't like being in charge.

I would much rather work within an autonomous collective. Everyone is responsible for themselves, but people can advise and/or communicate with each other and offer influence by example.

I've been in charge, and it has been very very difficult for me. It doesn't help that I have a deplorable lack of Te expression. Even when I use it, it makes me feel bad, like I'm violating the people under me by treating them like resources and playing "chess" with them.

(Note: I don't think that's what it is, intellectually, and I even annoy myself because I just can't get past the bad feelings of violating others. So I don't much enjoy exerting my direct influence, even when I do. I'd rather state a case, then let them decide how they want to respond and let things go at that.)

What's unfortunate is that I feel I do have some good ideas -- or at least can see what sort of things "work" and what things do "not work" or are inefficient/inconsistent -- but don't have the sort of temperament that wields power well. My ideal position is being a trusted adviser to the leader; I have the concepts and ideas, they see the value in them and do the implementation.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    type

I enjoy leadership.

My preferred leadership style tends to be anti-Boomer, anti-SJ, anti-hierarchy. I prefer a consensus-based decisions, more in line with my political and life values; on the other hand, I am perfectly capable of providing absolute control if that is needed.

Edit: Compare / Contrast leadership styles of the mods for extra credit.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Leadership styles? A very good idea. This page caught my eye a couple of weeks ago.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    I enjoy leadership.

My preferred leadership style tends to be anti-Boomer, anti-SJ, anti-hierarchy. I prefer a consensus-based decisions, more in line with my political and life values; on the other hand, I am perfectly capable of providing absolute control if that is needed.

Edit: Compare / Contrast leadership styles of the mods for extra credit.
    Crowsie! You're back.

You know what's funny? I almost mentioned you as a contrast to me in my post, since we have very different working styles. But I'll let someone else do the comparisons... You're definitely much more of a take-charge person.

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Leadership styles? A very good idea. This page caught my eye a couple of weeks ago.
    nice page, htb... and I have never seen it before. Thank you.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Nice. I haven't seen that for a while.

My work persona -- and probably my leadership style at work -- is more INTJ-ish.

Hm. Personally, when I am at my best, I'm probably between INTP and INFx.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Crowsie! You're back.

You know what's funny? I almost mentioned you as a contrast to me in my post, since we have very different working styles. But I'll let someone else do the comparisons... You're definitely much more of a take-charge person.

I'm at "home," thinking about getting off the internet to go read a book. I only logged on b/c my spidey-sense detected someone needed assistance.

I've spent so much time directing incident response teams, managing migrations, and working to publication deadlines, getting things done when it's important is an ingrained habit.

The other thing, I've pretty much sorted out that if I want something done the way I want it, I really need to be involved in pushing it. The flip side of that is learning what can be negotiated or dropped, how to communicate what's important, and how to let go when it's time. Not one damn part of that comes easy.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yes I enjoy leadership, at least if the task I am working on is interesting and important, if the job of the leader is just to supervise stupid tasks then I dont enjoy that. I'd rather think that with most tasks people can figure out what to do themselves and I only step in where I really know better.

I also understand what Jennifer is saying about feeling bad about "violating peoples rights", however I usually get that if people obey me without reflecting on what I said, or if people just cave in in a discussion, like when I they say something and I respond with "NO, I think it's like this!"(while not even beeing sure of it) and they just look to the floor and say "Uh, ok". In those situations I feel like I am braking their will or something, like I destroy their personality, dealing with such people I find to be highly difficult. I'd rather prefer to have people talk back to me, at least if they can do so intelligently.

Oh, and your poll taught me a new word, mh.. covet.

MBTI
    INTJ

I enjoy leadership, but only if I know what I'm doing (the best suited for the job).

I think the problem with most leaders is that they see it as some form of control, and that's why they like it. To me, being a leader is about helping your subordinates succeed. It is basically an exchange of loyalty and respect for experienced help. The leader is just a catalyst for the success of the whole group, and in exchange, he gets manpower.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume