User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy leadership?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes; and I covet it.

11 14.47%
  • Yes; however, I will serve wherever I am needed.

20 26.32%
  • No; but occasionally someone needs to step forward.

40 52.63%
  • No; and if you ask me to lead, I will decline.

5 6.58%
First 12345 Last

Thread: Leadership

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I tend to dismiss those who do not work or think like I do.
    That seems to be shared by INTJs here -- though not by me. I try to preclude incompatibility between work ethic and task through assignment. Like minds make for narrow application, and rejection deprives one of talent that could be useful elsewhere.

I also keep more than one solution in mind, occasionally resulting in someone having to "hurry up and wait" because they respond to a request after I have turned to the second choice. Working around a non-performer, if I possess the relevant skill, I often appropriate the task and complete it myself.

MBTI
    intj

My preference is to work on a team with competent equals with very little supervision. I'll only step forward when I think it's necessary and nobody else is getting the job done. I don't have problems telling others what needs to be done, but I don't like being responsible for other people.

If I had to choose, I'd rather lead than be led by someone I don't respect. I have some issues with respecting authority on their titles alone. If what they tell me to do doesn't make sense to me, I have a tendency to challenge them or do things my own way anyway. That's probably not a good thing though.

MBTI
    INTP

I think I fundamentally hate the concept of controlling. I actually really don't mind the leadership aspects of being a leader at all, I'm always willing to hear criticism, can adjust well to things and consider myself moderately articulate. On a more personal aspect I wouldn't even say that its particularly stressful or worrisome to interact with people. I just do not enjoy the more Te aspects of leadership at all. I do have to preface this that my experience is mostly theoretical, haven't been entrusted with a "true" leadership job so any thoughts on how an NTP can successfully lead would be great.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

yes and no. i like creating conversation and i like being the ideas guy. i'm not too huge in actually having the responsibility and having to deal with all the details though. i like being second in command, but i never feel like i'm a great leader when i'm top dog.

MBTI
    INTP

If there's a leadership void at work, I tend to step in until the situation is fixed. However, if someone is competent then I'd rather they lead instead of me.

Apart from those ad hoc events, I'm currently supervising one person and a handful of contractors. I think I struggle most with delegating. I have way too much work and can't do it all myself, but it's hard to hand over things I know would take me less than an hour to someone who will spend several days and still get it wrong.

I also struggle with working out how much explanation or background to give. I hate having things explained to me in excruciating detail because it feels like it's being assumed I can't think, so I'm very reluctant to do that to other people. But I'm learning (the hard way) that a lot of people do need things spelled out repeatedly because they can't join the dots themselves. *sigh*
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    If there's a leadership void at work, I tend to step in until the situation is fixed. However, if someone is competent then I'd rather they lead instead of me.

Apart from those ad hoc events, I'm currently supervising one person and a handful of contractors. I think I struggle most with delegating. I have way too much work and can't do it all myself, but it's hard to hand over things I know would take me less than an hour to someone who will spend several days and still get it wrong.

I also struggle with working out how much explanation or background to give. I hate having things explained to me in excruciating detail because it feels like it's being assumed I can't think, so I'm very reluctant to do that to other people. But I'm learning (the hard way) that a lot of people do need things spelled out repeatedly because they can't join the dots themselves. *sigh*
    Yes. I absolutely hate that. My INTJ dad is the king of describing every little aspect in his explanations, and he wont even stop in the middle if you ask a question to show that you understand. He just keeps chugging a long in chronological order, its excruciating for me I feel like a little kid trying to get my parents to get me some candy at a store.

That always feels like to me I'm shortchanging people and not allowing them the freedom to go about it how they wish. I still can't grasp the need that some people need all those boundaries and details for them to feel comfortable, on top of that constant supervision to see if their progressing along nicely. It's like doing exactly what I personally hate.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ISTx

I enjoy the notion, but it's important to me that I feel confident in my ability to lead before I'm put in position to do it. I haven't taken on a whole lot of leadership responsibilities, but it is something I'd like to do more and refine.

MBTI
    ESTJ

Actually, I think I would enjoy the leadership role as long as it was in an area I was comfortable with. Being a leader in like...an army, no I can't do that.

MBTI
    TiSe

I mis-voted after reading the second response. I asked this many years ago on INTPc of how often INTPs are thrust into a leadership role. This occurs constantly for me either in my community or at work. I think this is where similarities come in for all "Chart the Course" types where they are asked to lead or when someone does not step up they take a leadership role to keep things moving. Once things are on track, ISTJ, INTJ, INFJ and ISTPs are usually okay with being part of the team.

MBTI
    INFP

I get my satisfaction behind the scenes.

Being a leader is a big obligation.