User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Yeah... I think that's pretty much what I end up doing in the end. I try to see truth in more significant contexts, but it always turns out not to be there even when I think I see it.

I think there might be truth, but it doesn't apply to or affect most of the things people try to use it to justify. It mostly only works for very simple things. Like the structure of mechanical devices or math, and descriptions of objects.
    It's too easy to make that argument. But nobody actually lives like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Truth or compassion?

What are you more likely to say to other person if those two are opposite of each other in some situation?
    What do you want to hear from others in a hard times?

I know that question is very general, so people can put it in a context they feel it is right for them, but idea is not to talk just about touchy/feely things here. The idea is to talk about differences of truth/feels good in general.

I don't have any big dilemmas I am just curious since I am totally on the "truth side" of the spectrum.(and people have problem with it)

Probably T/F will play a role in this thrad.
    Generally truth unless it would cause the person undue hardship. Even then if it's for their own good I might just try to force feed them the truth. My view is that most people are too soft or too weak to tell the truth. I don't believe in patting people on the back for doing silly things. "Oh, your 100lbs overweight but that's ok. You keep eating those pies. You might have a heart attack before you are 40 but I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings".

My brother is overweight. I am too hard on him. I can be brutal in trying to get him to take care of his health. It's for his own good. On the other hand, I know I may be placing too much pressure on him and that itself may be increasing his procrastination through performance anxiety. I am probably crossing the line. I should know better than that. I am always looking for creative ways to encourage him, but I'm not going to pat him on the back for not exercising and stuffing his face with junk food.

Maybe I should take myself less seriously.

MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I prefer to combine the two... but when it's on a totally serious subject that is potentially damaging in some way, I prefer to offer compassion.

If it's lighthearted, I tend towards truth.

This is what I prefer to receive, as well.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I mix both, and depending on the situation, I will lean more to one than the other. But I never do one without the other, unless asked for it
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Truth or compassion?

What are you more likely to say to other person if those two are opposite of each other in some situation?
    What do you want to hear from others in a hard times?

I know that question is very general, so people can put it in a context they feel it is right for them, but idea is not to talk just about touchy/feely things here. The idea is to talk about differences of truth/feels good in general.

I don't have any big dilemmas I am just curious since I am totally on the "truth side" of the spectrum.(and people have problem with it)

Probably T/F will play a role in this thrad.
    I believe, until convinced otherwise, that it is a fallacy to paint truth and compassion as spectral opposites. [As to why it is done so often I can only speculate it is the result of immature Ti/Te or stressed & unhealthy Fi/Fe which stops short of the "real" spectrum where untruth lies at the opposite end of truth rather than compassion. Compassion is merely the filter through which the results can be viewed and translated. (The reality that truth/untruth are merely perspectives is an entirely other can of worms I am not prepared to open at this time.)]

These two concepts are only mutually exclusive if you have not cultivated the art (or striven to) of tactful relay, or diplomatic informant. Though there may be many instances where I have not yet found the happy medium, I have always tried to unite one (truth) with the other (compassion). As has oft been paraphrased throughout humanity's dealings with itself, it is never quite so much what one presents as how one presents it, yes? To the op: Should I ever be confronted with an instance where I lack the skill to artfully present both truth and compassion, I will present my inability along with my decision and beg pardon.

I'll admit that INFJs may have one-up on many types in this arena, instinctively trying to choreograph the complicated dance between authenticity and harmony at all times. However, I have seen some splendid displays of this remarkably underappreciated triumph by other types, not least among them INTJs (Ex: Night) & INTPs (Ex: Jennifer).
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

This is a very broad question. Its hard to answer except that it depends on the situation. What the situation is, how well you know the person, how beneficial it might be to tell the truth..
    I don't know. I would lean towards compassion since the truth isn't usually effective if the person is really hurting. I mean, unless you really like to get 'em while their already down.
    If its a real close friend or someone who I know can handle the truth.. I will offer words of advice in kind of a soft way.. "sometimes its easier to.. " or, "i know that you're really hurting right now, but you do need to remember that.."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Compassion is for pussies.

The truth is, well, the truth.

Ok, here is more practical question.

You know that partner of your sibling is cheating him/her in a quite intensive way.
    Would you say anything if you see that relationship is already unstable and it could fall apart in the next few months. But you also know that the cheating thing is even more unstable.

What would you do?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

oh, tell them, definately.. Telling the truth in those kinds of situations is always the compassionate thing to do.

MBTI
    INTP

Ok, here is more practical question.

You know that partner of your sibling is cheating him/her in a quite intensive way.
    Would you say anything if you see that relationship is already unstable and it could fall apart in the next few months. But you also know that the cheating thing is even more unstable.

What would you do?
    That's a sticky one. I tried the truth and got burned. Probably better to stay out of it.

UPDATE: Oh, sibling? That's different. I would definitely intervene. If it's a friend I would be much more cautious.