• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Depression..

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I have reasons to believe that I have it.
I've seen a psychologist about it and will talk with a psychiatrist and see what he or she thinks two weeks from now.

I would rather not go into too much personal details but I've been feeling so worthless- I think it's logical to think I am worthless but if there is anything that can help me be under the illusion that I am not worthless- psychiatry might help. All of that jazz which helps 'normal' people live life everyday by the standards society considers to be 'normal'. I've talked about my problems with at least three people. It is likely that I am suffering from depression.

Any advice from anyone??

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
In most normal circumstances, the 'world' doesn't matter. Only you. And because only you matter, you are most certainly not worthless.

So, what's better, being depressed, or being a prick?

sade

Advice? I've got none, except that since that is making you depressed you better get it treated, better now than later. You have the right to do that. Some encouraging words from an expert can also be good.. Compared to what you mean to yourself, the rest of the world is worthless.
:hug:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Try to find a really good counselor. I have had very bad depression, anxiety and panic in the past and had to see 5 or 6 different counselors before finding one that worked for me. And until you find someone who is good for you, don't be too hard on yourself, just treat yourself right and try to use an outlet. (Writing, talking about it, drawing, reading a book) My personal outlet is exercise. It naturally balances the mood and boosts endorphins... but it's whatever works for you.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Stream-of-consciousness writing works really well for me, at least in the single experiment that I've tried. It's a good way for my mind to unload. You could also try something like verbal spontaneous association: just imagine stuff in your head and describe what you see. If you can keep it up for 20 minutes, you'll enter a state of consciousness that's somewhat like a trance, or hypnosis. (You won't feel tired or down or anything like that because of it, it's just ... different.) Giving your mind something external to focus on like your voice or the flow of thought into a pen helps take the load off of your brain.

I've been suffering from depression for around five years now. I haven't really had the opportunity because of money to see any therapists, not to mention having to face my parents about it. "What do you mean, you need to see a psychologist!?"

I also understand what you're saying about what helps normal people live daily life and that you're different from them :). Much love!

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
For whiles I've been fighting thoughts of worthlessness as well. I don't remember exactly, don't take me on my word. First I admitted them, sometimes until the point I was released of them (There was a great feeling actually). More lately I've come to actively fight them, stop myself from thinking them. I'd not say I've ever had despression really, although technically I might have.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Try to find a really good counselor. I have had very bad depression, anxiety and panic in the past and had to see 5 or 6 different counselors before finding one that worked for me. And until you find someone who is good for you, don't be too hard on yourself, just treat yourself right and try to use an outlet. (Writing, talking about it, drawing, reading a book) My personal outlet is exercise. It naturally balances the mood and boosts endorphins... but it's whatever works for you.

Yeah, I agree with this. However, it's not easy to get started with anything when you're depressed (even just slightly so). Also, just don't really care about what works for other people. There is no reason why you shouldn't prefer something else. That's part of the beauty of the world.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:hug: Been there, done that. How I handled/ am still handling it: (it's easier said than done but) Find your passion in life. Realize your strengths, do take time for yourself to recharge, forgive yourself for your weaknesses and realize that you can work on them and they are not the end of the world. You're already in the right spot to start this, as being here can help you understand and forgive yourself more easily (or that's how I've experienced it)

Typology

MBTI Type
epyT
Enneagram
I've had similar problems in the past. I would always look to far into things until I could twist and contort everything that happened into something negative. I guess in the end, as you probably know, all it comes down to is you want. Forget about everything else, maybe you try to hard to please other people, I don't know, and just do what makes you happy. Like it's been said, exercise is a great way to focus your mind on one thing, and just block everything else out. It also tends to help people feel better about themselves. You could also read a book, join a club, meet friends with similar mindsets, whatever. You just have to get out of your mind.

The one thing you do not want to do is nothing. Sitting on your ass accomplishes nothing. All it does is brew those feelings of worthlessness and self-doubt to the point where they become unbearable. You have to keep in mind the fact that you really can do whatever you want in life. "I guess it comes down to simple choice really: Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'."

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
What shortnsweet said: exercise.

I have mild, "controllable" depression that comes periodically. The counsellings therapist I talked to recommend exercising at least 3 times a week. Something like a brisk walk for 15-20 min per session suffice. Exercise stimulates serotonin release. Exactly the same as what those antidepressive drugs do.

Another thing that might help is just finding somebody you can talk to about anything and everything. It feels better once you let it out.

Oh and try to smile and laugh often. Even if you don't feel like it... fake it. The subconscious mind takes cues from body movements.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Thanks for your advice.

The good news is that this weekend has been a fun one for me because I actually got to spend time with my college friends- something I don't get to do so often. The problem is that everyone is so damn busy in college! I probably will only get to say goodbye to a good portion of my friends via text message..

I'm seeing a counselor tomorrow and have an appointment with a psychiatrist two weeks from now. I'll listen to what they have to say.

Tonight will probably be a lonely night for me though.

Thankfully, I'm going home for Thanksgiving break which will be nice, :D

THEANO

MBTI Type
ENFP
- get a good physical examination to rule out underlying physiological deficits
- if prescribed medication, take it as directed. Don't play with "I feel ok today so I'll skip it"
- Try journaling to see if you can detect a pattern to your lowest times/days. See if there is a trigger
- Be open and honest with the therapist you choose. They are there to help you, not to judge you.
Good luck. I hope you find sushine in your days soon
:hug:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for your advice.

The good news is that this weekend has been a fun one for me because I actually got to spend time with my college friends- something I don't get to do so often. The problem is that everyone is so damn busy in college! I probably will only get to say goodbye to a good portion of my friends via text message..

I'm seeing a counselor tomorrow and have an appointment with a psychiatrist two weeks from now. I'll listen to what they have to say.

Tonight will probably be a lonely night for me though.

Thankfully, I'm going home for Thanksgiving break which will be nice, :D

I'm glad being around your friends helped a bit! good luck at the docs.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
ILike it's been said, exercise is a great way to focus your mind on one thing, and just block everything else out. It also tends to help people feel better about themselves. You could also read a book, join a club, meet friends with similar mindsets, whatever. You just have to get out of your mind.

."

I think that this is really good advice - i found that a cognitive behavioural approach really worked for me because it makes you look at the unhealthy thinking and behaviour patterns that are part of the reason you have become depressed in the first place - and gets you to do things - homework - which teach you healthier approaches.

Also being kind to yourself (I know that's really hard to do!) treating yourself as a really good friend would treat you - not pushing yourself too hard, taking each day as it comes and realising you are not on your own!

Reading helped me - hope you don't mind me suggesting a couple of books

Dorothy Rowe. Depression - finding a way out of your prison. she is amazing!
Chris Williams. Change the way you feel by changing the way you think.
And one on happiness - Chris Haidt The Happiness Hypothesis - I lent this to an enfp friend of mine who has raved about it to everyone!
take care - I know its not a nice place to be but it does pass :hug:

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
I think that this is really good advice - i found that a cognitive behavioural approach really worked for me because it makes you look at the unhealthy thinking and behaviour patterns that are part of the reason you have become depressed in the first place - and gets you to do things - homework - which teach you healthier approaches.

Also being kind to yourself (I know that's really hard to do!) treating yourself as a really good friend would treat you - not pushing yourself too hard, taking each day as it comes and realising you are not on your own!

Reading helped me - hope you don't mind me suggesting a couple of books

Dorothy Rowe. Depression - finding a way out of your prison. she is amazing!
Chris Williams. Change the way you feel by changing the way you think.
And one on happiness - Chris Haidt The Happiness Hypothesis - I lent this to an enfp friend of mine who has raved about it to everyone!
take care - I know its not a nice place to be but it does pass :hug:

I agree with everything you said, just feel that sometimes it is neccessary to be hard on yourself, its painful, but it has to be done to progress, it depends really I guess on what one is trying to achieve. Definantly being hard on yourself all the time is bad, though.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
I agree with everthing you said, just feel that sometimes it is neccessary to be hard on yourself, its painful, but it has to be done to progress, it depends really I guess on what one is trying to achieve. Definantly being hard on yourself all the time is bad, though.

I think I know what you mean - sometimes you have to be brutally honest with yourself and this can hurt alot - and yes you have to push yourself to do things like get out of bed and eat properly and pick up the phone etc when it would be easier to lie in bed with the duvet over your head. Having a good friend and /or therapist to do this work with is the best way.
What I mean about being good to yourself is not expecting too much from yourself - I think when people are depressed they tend to use alot of 'shoulds' about themselves.

A simple example - last night I'd promised a friend I'd pop round to help her with something - but then I had a really shitty day at work and a near miss in the car caused by some idiot on the way home - i rang my friend and told her about it and rearranged for next week. In a depressed state I would have said to myself - i must go - i promised - i should keep my promises - rot like that! dont know if thats a good example but I mean I suppose being kind to yourself like a friend would be - a friend would say 'its ok - no problem - youre tired'

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
I understand, when you are depressed, over self criticism can prove counter productive, paralysing, there has to be a good balance.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
For some reason, I think it's college that is making me feel depressed.
I was home for four weeks and felt great!
Now I'm back at Duke and feel like shit again..
I was in such an upbeat mood a week ago that I even told my therapist that I didn't need any more sessions and it must have been a temporary slump.
I don't know. I just really feel like I don't really fit in anywhere at college. Most of my friends are more assertive and (ironically) more introverted than I am.
This makes me for assertive and intimate one-on-one conversations, which I can't get involved in for shit.
I am an absolute loser. I may like being social but I have no social skills.
At this point, I feel I should just get my math degree at Duke and live the rest of my life as a fucking hermit. Nobody would miss me.
Or at least completely distance myself from my college life and not isolate myself from my friends and family back home- they might miss me if I disappeared. I know I would miss them..