User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Talents

Default Talents

The thread on talents and hard work got me thinking again.
    If talent and hard work are the main factors in a successful career and a creative life and it is said to take 10,000 hours to truly become proficient in any area.

How will we know where our true talents lie before putting in the hours?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think we tend to gravitate toward things we would preceive ourselves to enjoy.. which might help narrow our talent fields some. This is a bit untrue only because I can't imagine podiatrists gravitated toward feet naturally.. but mayhap our natural tendacies to lean toward things gets us started on a path we'd like eventually.

My sister's in college to be a respiratory therapist. I don't think she had any inkling that she'd like it beforehand.. but working in a beauty store, she met someone similar to her in interests that just started her career as one, and that conversation got her started. Had she not liked anything to do with beauty supplies and salons and such, she might have never thought to become that.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP

I think there are always people in any field who will have more natural talent than others. I could put in 10,000 hours into acting classes and experience and still never end up a Marlon Brando or Meryl Streep.

Having said that, I think a lot of us can become proficient, and even good at what we desire to do, even lacking the natural talent of the very best. So many people say, "Oh, I can't sing, or play an instrument, or cook," etc., when they haven't really tried in any significant way.

Of course, putting in the time often means getting frustrated and wanting to quit. It's easier just to chalk it up to not having the talent.
    Something Witty

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think what is more important than talents or hard work is passion. Passion tends to enhance both talent and hard work anyway. So do what you love and the rest will work itself out (more or less).
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Much agreed with liquid laser.

Also should keep in mind that "talent" might not be there from childhood. It could suddenly pop up when somebody put two and two together. Essentially you don't know until you try.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Much agreed with liquid laser.

Also should keep in mind that "talent" might not be there from childhood. It could suddenly pop up when somebody put two and two together. Essentially you don't know until you try.
    The people with talent usually get the most out of the first 10-100 hours. It's also possible that people with talent for something are more likely to be interested in a particular thing.

MBTI
    INfj

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I agree with LiquidLaser, passion is important.
    Without the passion, why would anyone want to truly work hard for anything- except from loving what you do?
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Sounds like an interesting article but I live in the middle of Japan and can't get my hands on it easily. Could you give me the gist of the rest of it please?

MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Sounds like an interesting article but I live in the middle of Japan and can't get my hands on it easily. Could you give me the gist of the rest of it please?
    Summary:

Success -> ability + effort
    Talent has basis in brain. Most see it as a static property, hard-wired by genes, activated at birth. Reality ability takes time to develop.

"The genes don't act all at once, but can take years to unfold."

"One trait, like gregariousness, can develop early on while another trait, like speech production, may lag -- which can be awkward until the two come into harmony."

"Complex trait like intelligence is not only partly determined by many interacting genes, it changes across the lifespan as some genes are automatically turned on and some turned off. The most appreciated abilities in society, such as creativity and leadership, rarely fully present themselves early on... Prodigies are notably more common in some domains than others. Chess, musical performance, and pure mathematics are full of prodigies because they draw on relatively delimited knowledge and skills."

"Achievements that require complex abilities like creativity or leadership, which comprise many different traits and thus the alignment of many different genes, are years in the making... The more complex a trait, the more ways a person can become a late bloomer for that trait."

The rest of the articles are examples of late bloomers.