123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Disliking the concept of "fun"

I'm not too sure if this is type related or what but it's been buzzing around in my head since I watched an interview with Stephen Fry when he mentioned recoiling whenever people mentioned "fun".

To me it's more apprehension at what people mean by the word "fun". Often people use it to mean something inane and mindless devoid of all intellectual content and just designed to give them a quick buzz. Now I don't mean to come across all snobbish and aloof but I'm much more enthused by the idea of something which engages the brain, allows for innovation and even... dun dun duhhh... teamwork. Sitting around a table getting drunk is none of those things...

Anyhow I was wondering if there's any more who recoil from the term fun or something similar.

Anybody?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I went to camp at age 9 and hated it. Because whenever the Exxx leaders would talk about "fun," it meant we had to join the group and extravert and be forced to do something stupid.

Yes. I can relate.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    yupp

everytime someone says "____ is going to be fun" I know to run away. It's often times when people are trying to convince me to do something I don't want to.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Camps suck. Mandatory fun sucks.

When something has to be billed and promoted as "fun", it usually means it's not.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I went to camp at age 9 and hated it. Because whenever the Exxx leaders would talk about "fun," it meant we had to join the group and extravert and be forced to do something stupid.

Yes. I can relate.
    Oh yeah. The whole over egging enthusiasm often employed by a wide eyed extravert (most often with the best of intent) only really makes me want to run, hide and then wait until they get bored and go away!!
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    everytime someone says "____ is going to be fun" I know to run away. It's often times when people are trying to convince me to do something I don't want to.
    Odd little INTP quirk.. it's often not something I object to doing.. before they try and convince me. It's almost like their enthusiasm is my anathema!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Camps suck. Mandatory fun sucks.

When something has to be billed and promoted as "fun", it usually means it's not.
    Totally with that sentiment.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Odd little INTP quirk.. it's often not something I object to doing.. before they try and convince me. It's almost like their enthusiasm is my anathema!
    that makes sense, I guess for me I'm always aware of the too good to be true cliche that's often true. So it's like you're too enthusiastic over buying shoes, um I think I'm gonna stay in and watch tv, thanks.

that and their level of enthuiasm can no way match the actual joy of shoe shopping (ie their level of enthusiasm is miles above the fun shoe shopping would actually be)
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Enneagram
    1w2

Fun for me is usually an activity shared with people I enjoy.

I don't mind people saying it'll be fun. Sometimes it really is and I end up being pleasantly surprised. Sometimes it's more rewarding than fun and I don't realize it until later. I'll think, I'm happy I experienced that.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    that makes sense, I guess for me I'm always aware of the too good to be true cliche that's often true. So it's like you're too enthusiastic over buying shoes, um I think I'm gonna stay in and watch tv, thanks.

that and their level of enthuiasm can no way match the actual joy of shoe shopping (ie their level of enthusiasm is miles above the fun shoe shopping would actually be)

I think this has to still be a sticking point with at least two people I know of (both EPs). They can't figure out, and I fail to explain how this little decision to resist comes about.

Mind you, thinking about it it's not just fun this applies to. I'm suspicious of anyone who's too certain about something. I'm always sure that their missing something or ignoring the potential for a different better answer.

"You think shopping for shoes is exciting? What about when they don't have your size? Shopping for computers is much more exciting as there's no size issues usually."

'Logic' at work

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post

I think this has to still be a sticking point with at least two people I know of (both EPs). They can't figure out, and I fail to explain how this little decision to resist comes about.

Mind you, thinking about it it's not just fun this applies to. I'm suspicious of anyone who's too certain about something. I'm always sure that their missing something or ignoring the potential for a different better answer.

"You think shopping for shoes is exciting? What about when they don't have your size? Shopping for computers is much more exciting as there's no size issues usually."

'Logic' at work
    yeah I hate shopping anyways. especially with friends, the ones that go so what do you think? I'm like I don't know, I'm not the one you're trying to impressed, unless you have a secret desire to sleep with me. and they never have my size. bastards!! this what you get for having average size feet. if I can buy it off the internet and not have to go to the store, excellent. that and if I did want to sleep with someone wouldn't a be more concerned about what they looked like naked. if anything people should be asking "do you think i need to work out more?"

back to the topic. Yeah, very wary of the word fun.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all