• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Disliking the concept of "fun"

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm not too sure if this is type related or what but it's been buzzing around in my head since I watched an interview with Stephen Fry when he mentioned recoiling whenever people mentioned "fun".

To me it's more apprehension at what people mean by the word "fun". Often people use it to mean something inane and mindless devoid of all intellectual content and just designed to give them a quick buzz. Now I don't mean to come across all snobbish and aloof but I'm much more enthused by the idea of something which engages the brain, allows for innovation and even... dun dun duhhh... teamwork. Sitting around a table getting drunk is none of those things...

Anyhow I was wondering if there's any more who recoil from the term fun or something similar.

Anybody?

Usehername

On a mission
I went to camp at age 9 and hated it. Because whenever the Exxx leaders would talk about "fun," it meant we had to join the group and extravert and be forced to do something stupid.

Yes. I can relate.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
everytime someone says "____ is going to be fun" I know to run away. It's often times when people are trying to convince me to do something I don't want to.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Camps suck. Mandatory fun sucks.

When something has to be billed and promoted as "fun", it usually means it's not.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I went to camp at age 9 and hated it. Because whenever the Exxx leaders would talk about "fun," it meant we had to join the group and extravert and be forced to do something stupid.

Yes. I can relate.
Oh yeah. The whole over egging enthusiasm often employed by a wide eyed extravert (most often with the best of intent) only really makes me want to run, hide and then wait until they get bored and go away!!
everytime someone says "____ is going to be fun" I know to run away. It's often times when people are trying to convince me to do something I don't want to.
Odd little INTP quirk.. it's often not something I object to doing.. before they try and convince me. It's almost like their enthusiasm is my anathema!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Odd little INTP quirk.. it's often not something I object to doing.. before they try and convince me. It's almost like their enthusiasm is my anathema!

that makes sense, I guess for me I'm always aware of the too good to be true cliche that's often true. So it's like you're too enthusiastic over buying shoes, um I think I'm gonna stay in and watch tv, thanks.

that and their level of enthuiasm can no way match the actual joy of shoe shopping (ie their level of enthusiasm is miles above the fun shoe shopping would actually be)

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Fun for me is usually an activity shared with people I enjoy.

I don't mind people saying it'll be fun. Sometimes it really is and I end up being pleasantly surprised. Sometimes it's more rewarding than fun and I don't realize it until later. I'll think, I'm happy I experienced that.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
that makes sense, I guess for me I'm always aware of the too good to be true cliche that's often true. So it's like you're too enthusiastic over buying shoes, um I think I'm gonna stay in and watch tv, thanks.

that and their level of enthuiasm can no way match the actual joy of shoe shopping (ie their level of enthusiasm is miles above the fun shoe shopping would actually be)
:D

I think this has to still be a sticking point with at least two people I know of (both EPs). They can't figure out, and I fail to explain how this little decision to resist comes about.

Mind you, thinking about it it's not just fun this applies to. I'm suspicious of anyone who's too certain about something. I'm always sure that their missing something or ignoring the potential for a different better answer.

"You think shopping for shoes is exciting? What about when they don't have your size? Shopping for computers is much more exciting as there's no size issues usually."

'Logic' at work :smile:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
:D

I think this has to still be a sticking point with at least two people I know of (both EPs). They can't figure out, and I fail to explain how this little decision to resist comes about.

Mind you, thinking about it it's not just fun this applies to. I'm suspicious of anyone who's too certain about something. I'm always sure that their missing something or ignoring the potential for a different better answer.

"You think shopping for shoes is exciting? What about when they don't have your size? Shopping for computers is much more exciting as there's no size issues usually."

'Logic' at work :smile:

yeah I hate shopping anyways. especially with friends, the ones that go so what do you think? I'm like I don't know, I'm not the one you're trying to impressed, unless you have a secret desire to sleep with me. and they never have my size. bastards!! this what you get for having average size feet. :angry: if I can buy it off the internet and not have to go to the store, excellent. that and if I did want to sleep with someone wouldn't a be more concerned about what they looked like naked. if anything people should be asking "do you think i need to work out more?"

back to the topic. Yeah, very wary of the word fun.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I could never stand the fast-paced stuff that 'fun' implied at most camps. Or if it's a religious camp its very hard to integrate since most people that are even similar to me have very different interests. :)jew:)

Or the fun is mundane and overly teamworky (As said before) and I -cannot- work well with people I don't know too well.

If I have decided 'No,' goading wont do anything. If I decided 'yes' . . . theyre lucky. :D

I always loved that 'shark attack' game that is with the giant circle mat thing...

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I think I would agree, but sitting around the table getting drunk can be really fun.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We is far too sophisticated to have fun. Fun is for SFPs. They have to have something in their lives.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
We is far too sophisticated to have fun. Fun is for SFPs. They have to have something in their lives.

That's it! I'm changing to SFP. Fun is, well fun :yay:

The problem is when someone else's definition of fun doesn't match with my reality.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Anyhow I was wondering if there's any more who recoil from the term fun or something similar.
I can relate. I used to hate "fun". When someone would say, "Let's do this; it'll be fun!" I would have absolutely no inclination or temptation to do it. I still don't really. Like if a friend says, "Let's go shopping. It'll be fun." I was with her until she said the word fun. (And actually I'm not that crazy about shopping either. Lunch I like! :smile:)

I have "fun" in a box. The box is labeled, "I don't like fun. Fun is frivolous and useless. It doesn't accomplish anything important or significant. And sometimes people get hurt."

Being married to an ISTP has forced me to learn how to have some fun. I can relax a little and have some fun, but generally I still don't prefer it.

I used to be deathly serious almost constantly before I met him. I never joked or teased. When people teased me, I would be offended. I took everyhting seriously and didn't know when people were kidding.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
see I don't have an aversion to fun if it's in my terms. I have an aversion to fun when people are trying to convince me of why I should do something. that and it will be a growing experience. Fuck that! if I wanted to grow I'd go tie myself to a rack. but seriously, if I want to do something I'm going to go do it and if I don't. I won't. no amount of it will be fun or it will help you grow as a person won't work. alot of people suck, why would I want to be more human like? hmmmmm?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know, I don't think what I do during my leisure is what most would consider fun. "Fun" for me is about pursuing and, of course, obsessing about my obsessions. It actually is more a feeling of anger than fun, but I am compelled to do it.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I wonder if this dislike of fun has something to do with not feeling competant at it? Something like not feeling empathic enough to be any good at this "fun" business.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
wow..never realized you guys had a problem with fun :)

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dislike "fun" because most people's idea of it is literally translated to "pointless and boring" in my head.

I read somewhere that activities other types find fun simply can't compare to the amazing theme park that is an INTPs brain.