User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

think about it on the flipside... imagine ALWAYS being in the mood for fun... imagine trying to have fun in EVERYTHING you do. Sometimes it can be inconvenient considering that you have to get things done too. Like run errands, go to work, go to funerals, appointments, doing paperwork, cleaning, sitting in lectures. And you feel that you must try to turn them all into a big exciting party.

(Not that I experience this or anything...... )

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    think about it on the flipside... imagine ALWAYS being in the mood for fun... imagine trying to have fun in EVERYTHING you do. Sometimes it can be inconvenient considering that you have to get things done too. Like run errands, go to work, go to funerals, appointments, doing paperwork, cleaning, sitting in lectures. And you feel that you must try to turn them all into a big exciting party.

My ISTP son is that way.
    He MUST have fun with everything he does.
    My ISTP husband is that way too, to a certain extent.

I'll never forget when my son was about 2 or 3, I asked him to run to the kitchen to grab me a towel real quick.
    He dropped down to all fours like a dog, went and fetched it with his mouth and brought it to me.

I have always tried to remember that throughout his life.
    He's 18 now.
    It's helped me to be more accepting of his ways that are different from mine.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Errm well known as being flippant and irreverant.... just not really in the "hey he's FUN" sense. I guess that's what comes of having a dry sense of humour
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    I'm not even an NT and I agree with this. The problem is that you're assuming that the other people who have defined fun in terms of extraverted activities have a corner on the market of what that word means. Fun is basically all about enjoying whatever makes YOU feel more energized and alive.
    I had this argument with my ENFP friend just last night oddly enough. It's true, it shouldn't be accepted that FUN has been stolen by evil types everywhere (Evil NFPs and so forth ).

The strange thing is though that even as an introvert I'm struggling to think of something introverted where the word FUN can be applied without it seeming a little odd and out of place, as Cameigons pointed out.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Oh yeah. The whole over egging enthusiasm often employed by a wide eyed extravert (most often with the best of intent) only really makes me want to run, hide and then wait until they get bored and go away!!

Odd little INTP quirk.. it's often not something I object to doing.. before they try and convince me. It's almost like their enthusiasm is my anathema!
    Just so typical NT'ness - to start wondering about the definition to fun (or whatever was the purpose of the thread).

I would probably tire most introverts out because of my strong and explosive extroversion and the need to have FUN with LOTS OF PEOPLE.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    We is far too sophisticated to have fun. Fun is for SFPs. They have to have something in their lives.
    ...and for ENFP's (and ENTP's).

I wonder if this dislike of fun has something to do with not feeling competant at it? Something like not feeling empathic enough to be any good at this "fun" business.
    You NT's have to feel competent about everything. Having fun is not about being competent, it's just plain old .....having fun. The feeling of having fun..... oh, I cannot expain it to anybody. You'll have to FEEL it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    wow..never realized you guys had a problem with fun
    I didn't either...

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Last time I checked introversion is how much energy you can devote to things outside yourself before retreating to recharge. I need my time alone, but I wouldn't mind heading out to a party now and then. The problem is there aren't any I can go to where I don't have to drink with out other people picking at me for it.
    Yes, that might be the case. How much you can deveote energy to outer world. I can devote A LOT of ENERGY to outer world even so that most people get tired of it. I can be very tiring person with my energy level and with my Ne flow....

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Everyone, minus Uber, likes fun.
    I still suspect Uber is only trying to provocate with his issue of wanting to ruin the fun of others.

I had this argument with my ENFP friend just last night oddly enough.
    Did you two come into some conclusion about this issue?

MBTI
    isfp

Heeheehee! Except for the party element ('cause I can play alone just fine), I can relate to that. Work Before Play! Play Before work! Or else turn the work into a sort of play.

Sarah

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    Just so typical NT'ness - to start wondering about the definition to fun (or whatever was the purpose of the thread).
    You make it sound deliberate. This kinda stuff just happens to me. I'm walking along minding my own business and then bang start thinking about the definition of minding my own business and how it interconnects with social responsibility.. is not my fault!
    I would probably tire most introverts out because of my strong and explosive extroversion and the need to have FUN with LOTS OF PEOPLE.
    As long as it's just you and you leave the others behind I'm fine.
    You NT's have to feel competent about everything. Having fun is not about being competent, it's just plain old .....having fun. The feeling of having fun..... oh, I cannot expain it to anybody. You'll have to FEEL it.
    Okay try this... this was FUN for me. Basically instead of revelling in those kinds of video racing games where you knock the car off every wall and piece of scenery I got it down to a fine art. I had the car tuned just so, the suspension just so... even the gear ratios were tuned to my preferences. I then spent hours refining my driving so that I drifted through the corners not touching a damn thing. That was FUN.

Sounds really tedious and boring right? Too much like concentrating to be fun?

There in lies the problem.
    I didn't either...
    Most don't. I mean who on earth would object to FUN right?
    Yes, that might be the case. How much you can deveote energy to outer world. I can devote A LOT of ENERGY to outer world even so that most people get tired of it. I can be very tiring person with my energy level and with my Ne flow....
    Well it does work in reverse. I tend to tire out extroverts fast. They seem to glaze over quite quickly whilst I'm still trying to engage them on some dissection of the various merits of existentialism
    Did you two come into some conclusion about this issue?
    Conclusion? You did hear me say enfP right? So that would be intP and enfP and you're looking for a conclusion? You had a check up from the neck up today? Just asking....

(ie No we didn't but we did advance the concept in a few places )

MBTI
    isfp

Okay try this... this was FUN for me. Basically instead of revelling in those kinds of video racing games where you knock the car off every wall and piece of scenery I got it down to a fine art. I had the car tuned just so, the suspension just so... even the gear ratios were tuned to my preferences. I then spent hours refining my driving so that I drifted through the corners not touching a damn thing. That was FUN.

Sounds really tedious and boring right? Too much like concentrating to be fun?
    )

Not at all. "Fun" is as relative a term as "beauty". Personally, I can spend hours fussing around with an art project, especially collages, because they allow me to endlessly shift around with layers of paper and totally forget about the time and about other people. That must seem very boring to extraverts.

Sarah

Default When's the last time you had a blast?

Can anybody name the last time that they had a blast, or at least a ton of fun? I'm sure you've done plenty of enjoyable things since then, like reading, but those things don't qualify as a blast. What I mean by blast is when you act enthusiastic. Something where other people would be able to tell you're having a blast by looking at you.

How many years/months/days/hours has it been? Never, maybe?

For me, it was probably months ago with my girlfriend, playing games together and just goofing off and enjoying ourselves. Before that, probably another a year at least, playing Mario Cart 64 and acoustic guitar with some friends. I usually have a blast whenever I play sports or video games against other people, or when do improv shows on guitar or jam with other people - but I don't seek those experiences out too often. (It's been almost 2 years since I've done those things.)

If you can identify would what is a blast to you, and you don't ever do it, does that mean there's something wrong with you? Perhaps doing it again would be good for my health.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    Can anybody name the last time that they had a blast, or at least a ton of fun? I'm sure you've done plenty of enjoyable things since then, like reading, but those things don't qualify as a blast. What I mean by blast is when you act enthusiastic. Something where other people would be able to tell you're having a blast by looking at you.

How many years/months/days/hours has it been? Never, maybe?

For me, it was probably months ago with my girlfriend, playing games together and just goofing off and enjoying ourselves. Before that, probably another a year at least, playing Mario Cart 64 and acoustic guitar with some friends. I usually have a blast whenever I play sports or video games against other people, or when do improv shows on guitar or jam with other people - but I don't seek those experiences out too often. (It's been almost 2 years since I've done those things.)

If you can identify would what is a blast to you, and you don't ever do it, does that mean there's something wrong with you? Perhaps doing it again would be good for my health.

Yes, the last time I had an absolute BLAST was a few weekends ago, when one of our groups of friends met at one friend's cottage. When this particular group gets together, we get into conversations where usually all end up laughing so hard we cry (or have to make a mad dash to the bathroom). We usually get together about once a month. It started out as a book discussion group but grew into so much more.

Sarah