User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    if you're consistently introverted, then you won't be seeking out excitement.
    But..but..but....
    It is possible you're low on all the other extroversion factors and not low on this one, so don't try to invalidate this by saying you're an excitement seeking introvert.
    Foiled.

I was going to say, for people who dislike the "concept" of fun, we sure as hell have got a lot to say about it!

The concept is probably all we are interested in!

How sad and yet, quite funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Yes, I find talk about fun to be repulsive because most people consider utter stupidity to be fun. Let's get drunk and act like idiots, it'll be fun. Been there, done that, and it's pretty damn lame.

Yes, this issue is type related. If you look into the subfactors of the big five traits, you'll notice that one of the factors for extroversion is often called "excitement seeking." So if you're consistently introverted, then you won't be seeking out excitement. It is possible you're low on all the other extroversion factors and not low on this one, so don't try to invalidate this by saying you're an excitement seeking introvert.

High openness (intuition) includes a dimension involving your tolerance for novelty. Someone high in that one dimension will tire of the same ol' same ol' pretty quickly. Excitement for these types is something new. What type of new excitement that is will depend on other personality factors and individual preferences. For some it'll be, "Let's go to a new bar and get drunk and act like idiots." For others it could be investigating and discussing a new personality theory.

Low conscientiousness (perceiving) often results in being informal and not very serious. Perhaps this is why some J types like to get drunk, so they can be more comfortable with being informal and not serious.

I think most people do think drunken mindless babbling at a party is fun...

but also, camping is fun, snowboarding is fun, road trips are fun. I would HOPE that spending time with people you love is fun.. (friends and family..) It does not necissarily have to be a dark room full of drunken strangers.. it could be a room full of family and close friends playing board games.. These all seem like "extroverted, excitement seeking" activities in my mind, but at the same time, I don't see how anyone, (introverts included) would be repulsed by this concept of "fun."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Last time I checked introversion is how much energy you can devote to things outside yourself before retreating to recharge. I need my time alone, but I wouldn't mind heading out to a party now and then. The problem is there aren't any I can go to where I don't have to drink with out other people picking at me for it.

That said, fun for me is a week long bike ride through the mountains taking pictures and camping along the way. More so if I have some friends doing it with me.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Parties do not look fun. They look pointless. I'm the kind of person who would rather Play out sexual fantasies with action figures and dolls.
    Fixed.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I think most people do think drunken mindless babbling at a party is fun...

but also, camping is fun, snowboarding is fun, road trips are fun. I would HOPE that spending time with people you love is fun.. (friends and family..) It does not necissarily have to be a dark room full of drunken strangers.. it could be a room full of family and close friends playing board games.. These all seem like "extroverted, excitement seeking" activities in my mind, but at the same time, I don't see how anyone, (introverts included) would be repulsed by this concept of "fun."
    Yeah, camping and road trips can be fun with the right people. I just don't have those people in my life anymore. Snowboarding is kinda hard when you don't have snow or mountains (I'm in southern Louisiana). I have a friend that goes surfing in the gulf, but I wonder how small the waves are. Friends playing board games or video games can be fun if the games aren't stupid.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Fixed.
    Well, that, too. I consider that to be in the same boat.

("Your helmet is so big!")

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Fun can describe more than what camp councilors and news anchors say is fun (which usually isn't because it's all organized and involves "sharing feelings" or something else icky)

If I say that a party will be fun, I mean it! For those who like parties anyways (and I'm speaking of the type that involve people sitting around a table, getting drunk and playing something like Catchphrase while watching Robot Chicken in the background and ordering Thai takeout at 1am). If I say that breaking into an abandoned house late at night because it's reported to be haunted is fun, I mean it to those I'm inviting along!

It's all in who's telling you that it's fun- if they enjoy the same types of things as you do, you'll probably enjoy it!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I say crashing the party would be more fun.

Most of my ideas of fun will get me thrown in jail.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I'm not too sure if this is type related or what but it's been buzzing around in my head since I watched an interview with Stephen Fry when he mentioned recoiling whenever people mentioned "fun".

To me it's more apprehension at what people mean by the word "fun". Often people use it to mean something inane and mindless devoid of all intellectual content and just designed to give them a quick buzz. Now I don't mean to come across all snobbish and aloof but I'm much more enthused by the idea of something which engages the brain, allows for innovation and even... dun dun duhhh... teamwork. Sitting around a table getting drunk is none of those things...

Anyhow I was wondering if there's any more who recoil from the term fun or something similar.

Anybody?
    You're snob.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP

Well, I like to talk about balance. And balance in social skills applies. There are those who really don't know how to play, others who don't know when its time to be serious.

When we're invited to do one or the other, and don't feel confident yet in that life area, we may choose one of two options: reluctantly go along and throw a wet blanket on the situation for our sole contribution. See it here all the time. Or we may just bail out.

It's that other-focus which gets us in trouble. We think something is expected of us and forget to pay attention to ourselves, such as going along, observing and learning how to do it.

It's been my observation that most who bring negativity to a group situation do so for lack of skill in that area. What they miss is an opportunity to learn something that could benefit them.

I struggled with having to be with people I didn't care to spend time with or situations I didn't feel socially comfortable with for years. I finally made the determination to MAKE it fun for myself. When I picked up a few tricks to amuse myself in these circumstances I begin to fit in better, relaxed and I can truthfully say that I can be nearly anywhere now and put myself at ease.

It's been a good thing to learn.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer