User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    XNXP

I guess it depends on who is defining what fun is. When it is me defining it, then obviously I don't have a problem with it.

Interesting how the word "funny" is so close, and yet pointed towards only one aspect of "fun" - humor.

I remember one day we had decided to go to a rock concert that started out as a kind of misery. It was a sweltering hot day and we were sitting there in it, after having been ushered in like a herd of cattle. The groups were not due to arrive for awhile, but we wanted to be able to get seats that were reasonably close and so we had come as early as we did. Finally an opening act came on, and their first number was an old Sam Cooke tune that begins "We're having a party..." and I felt that same thing you guys were talking about earlier, where people were attempting to convince us that we were "having fun." Eventually we did, though. ( Have fun. )
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I always wonder why people don't show up at parties and events when they have nothing else to do and I made it CLEAR that it would be FUN. That's often my primary argument.

"There will be lots of people there. It will be FUN!"

and people literally cringe and I always just assume that they are being shy. And I always just assumed that almost everybody liked to have "fun". (Sitting around a table drinking, shoe shopping.) and that if they didn't want to have fun then they were just really tired or just shy.

Well, learn something new every day.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Parties do not look fun. They look pointless. I'm the kind of person who would rather create stories with action figures.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I'm the kind of person who would rather create stories with action figures.
    You can do that in parties.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    You can do that in parties.
    I'd rather do it without others bothering me.

For me, leisure activities are more about having power over something. I'm more swayed by power than frivolity.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Oh, then I cant help you. I don't understand the concept of power.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    We is far too sophisticated to have fun. Fun is for SFPs. They have to have something in their lives.
    That's right. Fun is ... well it's fun that's what it is.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I'm not too sure if this is type related or what but it's been buzzing around in my head since I watched an interview with Stephen Fry when he mentioned recoiling whenever people mentioned "fun".
    Yes, I find talk about fun to be repulsive because most people consider utter stupidity to be fun. Let's get drunk and act like idiots, it'll be fun. Been there, done that, and it's pretty damn lame.

Yes, this issue is type related. If you look into the subfactors of the big five traits, you'll notice that one of the factors for extroversion is often called "excitement seeking." So if you're consistently introverted, then you won't be seeking out excitement. It is possible you're low on all the other extroversion factors and not low on this one, so don't try to invalidate this by saying you're an excitement seeking introvert.

High openness (intuition) includes a dimension involving your tolerance for novelty. Someone high in that one dimension will tire of the same ol' same ol' pretty quickly. Excitement for these types is something new. What type of new excitement that is will depend on other personality factors and individual preferences. For some it'll be, "Let's go to a new bar and get drunk and act like idiots." For others it could be investigating and discussing a new personality theory.

Low conscientiousness (perceiving) often results in being informal and not very serious. Perhaps this is why some J types like to get drunk, so they can be more comfortable with being informal and not serious.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I always wonder why people don't show up at parties and events when they have nothing else to do and I made it CLEAR that it would be FUN. That's often my primary argument.

"There will be lots of people there. It will be FUN!"

and people literally cringe and I always just assume that they are being shy. And I always just assumed that almost everybody liked to have "fun". (Sitting around a table drinking, shoe shopping.) and that if they didn't want to have fun then they were just really tired or just shy.

Well, learn something new every day.
    Lots of people for me will mean I hardly get to say anything and the people that speak the most do all the talking and usually they talk about things I don't know anything about or don't care about.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    Yes, I find talk about fun to be repulsive because most people consider utter stupidity to be fun. Let's get drunk and act like idiots, it'll be fun. Been there, done that, and it's pretty damn lame.

High openness (intuition) includes a dimension involving your tolerance for novelty. Someone high in that one dimension will tire of the same ol' same ol' pretty quickly. Excitement for these types is something new. What type of new excitement that is will depend on other personality factors and individual preferences. For some it'll be, "Let's go to a new bar and get drunk and act like idiots." For others it could be investigating and discussing a new personality theory.

Low conscientiousness (perceiving) often results in being informal and not very serious. Perhaps this is why some J types like to get drunk, so they can be more comfortable with being informal and not serious.

I find drunk people and utter stupidity annoying too unless I am also drunk and being utterly stupid too.

I always score High openness and Low conscientiousness. Go figure.