• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mind Manager tools & types who like to use them...?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My collegue at work told me about a tool called Mind Manager. He was very excited about it and used it to learn new stuff by arranging the information to mind maps.

I think this person's type is most probably ENTP and he uses then Ne as his primary function. I was wondering if this kind of mind mapping tool is most suitable for certain types of people, let's say for example. people who use Ne as their primary function (ENXP) or people who use Te as their primary (EXTJ). (Those two functions are just guesses.)

On my own behalf, as an ENFP, I can say that this kind of mapping relates very well to how my memory and brain works. I have habit of mapping everything, so the information is linked to each other. I can also use hierarchical file system (more Te like system) but my thinking works mainly like the mind mapping.

So, what do you people say about this? Is mind mapping the kind of decision making or brain and memory functioning that is related to some type (meaning that people with certain functions can use these kinds of methods more easily than other types)?

Here's an example of how a Mind Manager mapping looks like (this is not to advertise the tool because I haven't used it (at least yet), but just to show you where my thoughts related to this subject came from). And yes - the text is in german, and no - I don't understand it either, but just an example of how it looks like.)

pw_Projektmanagement.gif

Last edited:

wolfy

awsm
I don't know if it relates to type. I'm primarily visual/spatial so it might have something to do with that. I love mind maps to the point where most of my notes are in mind maps.
It's so easy to think within the mind map framework. I originally read about it in a Tony Buzan book. It's also really a lot of fun.
When I was in a course I used it in my notes for a talk and everybody thought I was a bit weird. :shock:

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't know if it relates to type. I'm primarily visual/spatial so it might have something to do with that. I love mind maps to the point where most of my notes are in mind maps.
It's so easy to think within the mind map framework. I originally read about it in a Tony Buzan book. It's also really a lot of fun.
When I was in a course I used it in my notes for a talk and everybody thought I was a bit weird. :shock:

I'm too visual so maybe the visual thinking and learning has more to do with the way mind manager works with people than types?

wolfy

awsm
I'm too visual so maybe the visual thinking and learning has more to do with the way mind manager works with people than types?

I think so. I could never get into mind mapping on a PC though. I only like to do it by hand.

saieditor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I have been using that for yonks, since Windows 3.1
In fact, I still use a free version. :D

Excellent tool for study, and for developing creativity.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I absolutely love mind mapping! Actually, I phrased that wrong...I can't work without it. I actually have mind manager on my laptop, but I do the majority of my work using a free java app called Free Mind on my main computer. They function basically the same way (except mind manager has more functionality, such as converting the maps into outlines, etc...).

I have always been more of a visual learner, and I find that the computerized way of doing it is superior to drawing on paper because it's easier to modify the maps once you've created them. For instance, if you want to add another category, it automatically expands the map for you, which could not really be accomplished (or at least "easily" accomplished) on paper.

I don't know if this has anything to do with type, though...the only thing I could think of is maybe N. Although, on that multiple intelligences test I always come out high on visual/spatial, and on the gender brain test I scored perfect on the object rotation section. I think it may have more to do with whatever factor determines that sort of ability than anything else (maybe S? Though I always thought those were my least developed functions next to F). But I don't know, I'm mostly rambling at this point.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I find other people's mind maps easy to follow, but I don't particularly enjoy using them myself. It's much better organised in my head than I could ever put on paper.

The only person I know who really likes using them (and kinda *needs* to use them) is an INFP. At least, that's my best guess of type.

Chemgrl82

MBTI Type
eNTj
Enneagram
8w7
I was told about FreeMind and it's the same type of mind mapping software. I do agree that it's directly related to my Te. It helps me tremendously. I love it.
There are different ways you can format the tree structure. It can look like the one above, or what I prefer - below:

View attachment 2782

ygolo

My termites win
I was told about Free Mind and it's the same type of mind mapping software. I do agree that it's directly related to my Te. It helps me tremendously. I love it.

I've been using FreeMind for a long time. It's great. It is flexible enough to support many different mind-types.

The tree structure is a little restrictive for my Ti-Ne, but there are cross-links allowed too.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Freemind looks too open sourcy for my liking. Mind Mapper is much better. It's worth the cost if you use mind maps a lot.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i carry a nokia n810 around with me at all times and i have a mind mapping tool on there. it can come in handy for really large ideas, otherwise i just log it mentally

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I prefer to hold everything in my mind. Also, I am always on the lookout to refine procedures in order to make them more efficient, thus I would need to reset my mind map too many times - and that would act as a decrement to my gain in efficiency.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I am still not convinced about mindmapping...
If anything, I like handmade mindmaps. The uniformity in pc-made mindmaps makes them dull to me...

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
If anything, I like handmade mindmaps. The uniformity in pc-made mindmaps makes them dull to me...
ya they are pretty much only useful when you have a massive idea and its hard to keep track of everything. otherwise i see no point.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Looks suspiciously like sentence diagramming which I always despised to the core of my being. I hate "learning techniques" that emphasize form over content. Though I guess it might be useful for presenting an idea to someone else, or for someone else presenting an idea to me.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

The thing with mindmapping for me is that:
- it helps me to understand things and links between things
- it helps me to remember multiple things that I have to do (my work includes multiple projects with multiple tasks that I have to do at certain point of time)
- it helps me to put things into my memory for a storage puposes (I don't remember anything without mindmapping it in my own brain - that's Ne I guess and I learned to use Te to help the Ne)
- it helps me to figure out new ways of doing things (it supports the creative process of Ne to put things into places)
- it just fits my brain perfectly :cheese:

So, mindmapping might be boring but it helps (at least me) with life :newwink:

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I personally LOVE using mind-maps- for studying and for jotting ideas.

I don't think it quite relates to type, although, I know some people who would rather write out every details at every meeting. They write everything down and carry their organizers everywhere with them- and their organizers filled with detailed notes like there's no tomorrow. I think they're more of the examples of perhaps 'extreme' SJ types. It's how they operate. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone's different.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
The tree structure is a little restrictive for my Ti-Ne, but there are cross-links allowed too.

I think the lack of extensive cross-links is what is unappealing to me. My projects are all cross-linked and it's kinda arbitrary where you draw the line for classifying chunks of them.

- it helps me to remember multiple things that I have to do (my work includes multiple projects with multiple tasks that I have to do at certain point of time)

^^^ is the only reason I can see for switching to using mind maps. They don't quite mesh with how my mind works unfortunately. I'd need something with a 3D display and multiple axes to choose to display. Instead, I muddle along with Excel spreadsheets, which have the advantage that you can keep track of budgets and contracts as well.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
It may be a coincidence but about all the people I've met that like mindmapping are NF's. Any thoughts on that?