User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Default Mind Manager tools & types who like to use them...?

My collegue at work told me about a tool called Mind Manager. He was very excited about it and used it to learn new stuff by arranging the information to mind maps.

I think this person's type is most probably ENTP and he uses then Ne as his primary function. I was wondering if this kind of mind mapping tool is most suitable for certain types of people, let's say for example. people who use Ne as their primary function (ENXP) or people who use Te as their primary (EXTJ). (Those two functions are just guesses.)

On my own behalf, as an ENFP, I can say that this kind of mapping relates very well to how my memory and brain works. I have habit of mapping everything, so the information is linked to each other. I can also use hierarchical file system (more Te like system) but my thinking works mainly like the mind mapping.

So, what do you people say about this? Is mind mapping the kind of decision making or brain and memory functioning that is related to some type (meaning that people with certain functions can use these kinds of methods more easily than other types)?

Here's an example of how a Mind Manager mapping looks like (this is not to advertise the tool because I haven't used it (at least yet), but just to show you where my thoughts related to this subject came from). And yes - the text is in german, and no - I don't understand it either, but just an example of how it looks like.)

Last edited by alcea rosea; 11-19-2008 at 03:39 AM. Reason: typos corrected

I don't know if it relates to type. I'm primarily visual/spatial so it might have something to do with that. I love mind maps to the point where most of my notes are in mind maps.
    It's so easy to think within the mind map framework. I originally read about it in a Tony Buzan book. It's also really a lot of fun.
    When I was in a course I used it in my notes for a talk and everybody thought I was a bit weird.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I don't know if it relates to type. I'm primarily visual/spatial so it might have something to do with that. I love mind maps to the point where most of my notes are in mind maps.
    It's so easy to think within the mind map framework. I originally read about it in a Tony Buzan book. It's also really a lot of fun.
    When I was in a course I used it in my notes for a talk and everybody thought I was a bit weird.
    I'm too visual so maybe the visual thinking and learning has more to do with the way mind manager works with people than types?

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    I'm too visual so maybe the visual thinking and learning has more to do with the way mind manager works with people than types?
    I think so. I could never get into mind mapping on a PC though. I only like to do it by hand.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Socionics
    IxTJ

I have been using that for yonks, since Windows 3.1
    In fact, I still use a free version.

Excellent tool for study, and for developing creativity.
    Speak Truthfully, Act Righteously

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I absolutely love mind mapping! Actually, I phrased that wrong...I can't work without it. I actually have mind manager on my laptop, but I do the majority of my work using a free java app called Free Mind on my main computer. They function basically the same way (except mind manager has more functionality, such as converting the maps into outlines, etc...).

I have always been more of a visual learner, and I find that the computerized way of doing it is superior to drawing on paper because it's easier to modify the maps once you've created them. For instance, if you want to add another category, it automatically expands the map for you, which could not really be accomplished (or at least "easily" accomplished) on paper.

I don't know if this has anything to do with type, though...the only thing I could think of is maybe N. Although, on that multiple intelligences test I always come out high on visual/spatial, and on the gender brain test I scored perfect on the object rotation section. I think it may have more to do with whatever factor determines that sort of ability than anything else (maybe S? Though I always thought those were my least developed functions next to F). But I don't know, I'm mostly rambling at this point.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

I find other people's mind maps easy to follow, but I don't particularly enjoy using them myself. It's much better organised in my head than I could ever put on paper.

The only person I know who really likes using them (and kinda *needs* to use them) is an INFP. At least, that's my best guess of type.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTP

I use mind maps a lot. I can't even take notes the regular way--I find it almost impossible.

This is a great site: Mind Tools - Online Management Training, Leadership Training and Career Training - Right Here, Right Now.

MBTI
    eNTj
    Enneagram
    8w7

I was told about FreeMind and it's the same type of mind mapping software. I do agree that it's directly related to my Te. It helps me tremendously. I love it.
    There are different ways you can format the tree structure. It can look like the one above, or what I prefer - below:

freemind.bmp
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    E:63% N:84% T:84% J:68%
    8w7 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Chemgrl82 View Post
    I was told about Free Mind and it's the same type of mind mapping software. I do agree that it's directly related to my Te. It helps me tremendously. I love it.
    I've been using FreeMind for a long time. It's great. It is flexible enough to support many different mind-types.

The tree structure is a little restrictive for my Ti-Ne, but there are cross-links allowed too.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield