User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default Smiling and Extroverted Intuition

Ok now you may say he finally has lost his mind, but I stumbled over something I wanted to share:

From the BBC Fake Smile Test:

Fake smiles can be performed at will, because the brain signals that create them come from the conscious part of the brain and prompt the zygomaticus major muscles in the cheeks to contract. These are the muscles that pull the corners of the mouth outwards.

Genuine smiles, on the other hand, are generated by the unconscious brain, so are automatic. When people feel pleasure, signals pass through the part of the brain that processes emotion. As well as making the mouth muscles move, the muscles that raise the cheeks – the orbicularis oculi and the pars orbitalis – also contract, making the eyes crease up, and the eyebrows dip slightly.

Ok, if a genuine smile comes from the unconcious, could it be then a helpful indicator to identify an Extroverted Intuitor ?!

Well that's a relation here, but it lacks of course ANY provoable facts. The thing is we talked about N and S being generally unconcious processes and then there is the undenieable truth that for example ENFP's and ENTP's do smile often or are at least in a good mood generally.

So if you have the unconcious working with the temperament of a black spanish stallion, there could be a relation, couldnt it ?!

My ISTJ friend for example, has a fundamental knack for laughing out loud, one of the funniest guys I know. But he has his filters, he mostly only laughs about humor that doesnt change. What means his humor does not change. The funny topics are always the same, just their perception changes and so funny things are created. But his humor is not innovative.

Well just an idea here, could be total BS, but if it works it could give another indicator for Ne in people.

With Ni it's somewhat different. I think the theory would apply to them too, but I am not ready to go this far yet. With Ni I experienced they tend to laugh about things, I didnt grasp at first, but then after they have explained it. If that would be all of the difference in this theory between Ne and Ni, it works for them too.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

All I can think of is something from the 'You know youre an ENFP when..' thread: 'You know you are an ENFP when you can talk seriously about *Some sciency word* but cant help but laugh at the word 'duty' (Since it sounds like 'doodie')

:Shrug:

I think ESxPs seem to have more glare in their personalities than Ne primaries. The 'light' is more forward in the eyes for them I think since Ne is more inside the mind and in actions like Se is.

I could be completely off base too
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

That is a good point. But if the knack for smiling is fueled by the subconcious, it would be a method to show your internal N-ness.

While the Ne would draw forceful relations to make the joke understood, the Ni will laugh for no apparent reasons at first sometimes. And both reactions could be indicators for N-ness.

I am just playing around with connections that are obvious on the paper. What would be intresting in the long run, would be the question, if humor is a thing generally derived from one persons Intuition ?!

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I read somewhere (A Robert J sawyer book I think) that what's funny is based off of connections in the brain. If a person makes a connection 'just right' it'll spark a laugh response. Its usually attributed to weird connections in ideas.

Since Ns have a more 'connecty' mindset it makes humor easier since they can 'get' jokes better.

I was thinking once recently: 'How do dogs remember all those smells? They sure dont have a Rolodex...' and I kinda chuckled at the idea. I in envisioned a dog with a scratch n sniff yellow-pages.

An S would laugh at the vision of a dog and the yellow pages while an N would get the idea. Or at least thats my guess. I have spotty knowledge on functions anyways
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

-Nightwish

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

That's good, I get your point and I furthermore get the impression your type is not TILT .

According to my theory, if the S draws this connection he uses his N-ness, because one does not have to forget that S and N are within every human being.

But I think you are right, to say humor is something that comes from Intuition is a big leap.

What I still think is what I said in the OP. Namely, when a genuine smiley comes from the subconcious, it is possible that subconcious prone persons have a knack for smilieng.

If you advance this theory and take into account that N is within everyone, you get the answer that humor is within everyone. What then lacks is to finetune the art of humor: and I did not want to say that N's got a greater humor. I was just seeking for its roots. Not for its quality.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Then what is my type?

That could be true since people with N as first or second functions seem to be much more humorous in everyday life. Since humor is a form of energizing thinking (A good laugh or even a chuckle is rejuvenating) and Ss prefer to experience over thinking, they wouldn't get the joke as quickly; They would probably be experiencing the words, right?

An ESxP friend only seems to laugh at stupid stuff people do, while the ENTP friend I have seems to laugh at a lot of weird things... and comes up with weird things. Him and George Carlin are on the same wavelength. Bad taste but well thought out. One of my friend's jokes: "When a rabbit gives birth, does it sounds like a machine gun? They give birth to huge litters at a time..."

And INTP friend of mine seems to laugh at anything querky that happens. One time a couple years ago we were talking about slurping the ramen from a bowl with a crazy straw and then he pulled out a crazy straw that he got just hours before. It was hilarious.

-Nightwish

I don't know. I rarely smile.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think it actually isnt a good way to determine N or S or something form their PHYSICAL smile (if its true-subconscious or fake)

BUT, I think surely there are correlations between Nness and Sness and the way you laugh (at what you laugh); I noticed that more N you are, more you get and look for and make, rather abstract, metaphoric, conceptual humor, instead stronger Ss laugh from trivial things, which are meant to be funny, but more often than not they arent funny at all (for me). For me, these stupid jokes are just absolutely stupid, and i dont think theres anything funny at them (actually i get the point and i know what SHOULD be funny, but its so poor and retarded, i only wonder which retard can laugh at this (and usually majority of personnel)). - id call this shallow humor
    Often I laugh from things that other people even dont notice, or notice but take absolutely seriously and see nothing funny at them. E.g. someone says something or make a movement which is rather normal, but inside my mind it somehow relate (connect) to something other - funny, and i laugh(or just smile, and then that person see I smile and: "Whaaat?") I didnt see anything like this in sensors.
    In general i have great sense of humor, but i just deviate from that standard humor, and laugh from things that are somewhat more complex, and other people either dont get it, or it doesnt seem funny to them (id say im on higher level of humor perception, but its rather too cocky)

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I laugh at everythig that I havent heard before that doesn't rube me the wrong way, stuff that goes against my values or seriously puts other people down.

Ss laugh at people like Carlos Mencia (his show at least) or Dane Cook ( ) from what I can tell, while Ns seem to laugh at people like Carlin. People who put different perspecitves on things without acting totally retarded.

Carlos appeals to Ss because of the visual stupidity ( That makes me wanna throw up, personally) and Dane is just really REALLY over the top. A bad spinoff of Robin Williams. Who is still nuts, but seems to keep it mature. Another similarity is that Dane looks like a 'player' and overconfident while Williams is a clown that has a heart. I like clowns more than pricks.

-Nightwish

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ooohh... the worst is mentally making a bad joke to yourself and laughing about it. Then everyone stares at you like you've gone crazy

I do this frequently.

I also smile and laugh very frequently, it makes me happy. I'd think that was related to extroversion almost though I don't know.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett