• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Post count = knowledge ?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It looks to me that in many situations post count people see as amount of knoledge. (what is not true)
In many cases person with 56 posts will be submissive toward the person that has 3700 posts.
Also person with large number of posts will think that he/she is more likely to be right, even in things that have nothing to do with MBTI simply because they have more posts. (there are alway exceptions)

Do others agree with this observation and what do you think about it?

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
nope. that's pretty silly.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
never really pay attention to someone's postcounts. Besides, many times those posts are made to ask a question, not to answer one

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Lol, no.

I have a shit ton of posts, not because I am knowledgeable on or about MBTI, or typology but rather because I love foruming, I am in a monogamous relationship with this one and... and, I am dork with a capital D.

:smoke:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Agree. Much like people naturally associate age with wisdom. It's an ingrained heuristic that we use automatically.

Edit: I also find it interesting that whenever somebody mention people acting like sheep, they immediately deny it without considering it. :)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
It looks to me that in many situations post count people see as amount of knoledge. (what is not true)
In many cases person with 56 posts will be submissive toward the person that has 3700 posts.
Also person with large number of posts will think that he/she is more likely to be right, even in things that have nothing to do with MBTI simply because they have more posts. (there are alway exceptions)

I've never noticed any sort of deference on the part of those with low post counts towards those with high post counts. If anything, some folks with low post counts get a little ignored (though not all the time), but not really any special :worthy: to the high post count lot.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
It is wise to be familiar with your surroundings (and their valued currency) before attracting attention to yourself, lest it be the wrong kind of attention. This is why people with a lesser post count (often newcomers) tend to be deferential.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Post count probably does correlate positively with knowledge on MBTI, but a lot of new posters seem to come equipped with some MBTI knowledge.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
nope. that's pretty silly.

Really? Post counts and join dates are status markers on forums. IRL, you'd have age, race, sex, or other socioeconomic markers. People definitely use their post counts and join dates to discount n00bs

When you say right you mean...? An older poster may understand more forum context than a new poster. Any new person typically has to "prove" themselves. I think that time is collapsed on forums and it can happen pretty quickly.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Oddly...I kinda had that Feeling too sometimes during the past Days while browsing around. So...guess I am NOT paranoid then. :shock:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah not mine though.

True, you mostly answer a lot, and commendable as that is...aren't you sometimes the slightest bit curious about stuff you cannot figure out on your own? :)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Really? Post counts and join dates are status markers on forums. IRL, you'd have age, race, sex, or other socioeconomic markers. People definitely use their post counts and join dates to discount n00bs

When you say right you mean...? An older poster may understand more forum context than a new poster. Any new person typically has to "prove" themselves. I think that time is collapsed on forums and it can happen pretty quickly.

This is the reverse of his question, though. He asked if the n00bs act deferentially towards the longstanding, 5000+ post count members...not if the high post count-ers treat the n00bs badly.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
There is obviously a recognition and acceptance factor.

Who would know just how [fashionable] CC really is after reading a couple of posts.

Or you just might think Jack Flak is a social butterfly that spreads his happiness to anyone he encounters.

It takes time to get to know people, in the absence of that we make quick judgments, heuristics if you will. Post counts are just one handy form.

Last edited by a moderator:

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
They may . . . or they may not. Quantity v. quality. I take post count as an indication the person likes to post a lot. By itself it tells me little other than that. Some people (self-included) post a lot of fluff/non-serious stuff.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
hahahahahahahah no post count does not=knowledge. Look at me and my post count I'm defently not as smart as people with a lower post count.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
True, you mostly answer a lot, and commendable as that is...aren't you sometimes the slightest bit curious about stuff you cannot figure out on your own? :)
Hmm...Like how to find the perfect woman? Curious sure, but I don't think the answer is to be had here.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm...Like how to find the perfect woman? Curious sure, but I don't think the answer is to be had here.

How would you know if you don't ask the question? ;)