• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Post count = knowledge ?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Yeah protean dunno wtf she's talkin' about re: me and folks like Edgar. It doesn't matter to me how long a person's been on the board, and why should it? People possess the same quality whether they started day one or yesterday.
Not necessarily Jack. Sure intelligence is inherent, but knowledge ought to grow overtime. Half of what we discuss on this forum called "serious" threads are based on theories anyhow. We need a basic understanding of the background, after that, anybody can learn to play.

I think some newer posters see some more prolific posters and they begin to identify with them and they make that identification apparent. The qualities are always there, but they're not always immediately apparent. Visibly tagging along with someone usually hastens it appearance or begins associations.
*nods* It's really compare and contrast. Learn from people you think can teach you the most then move out to compare them against people that holds conflicting views to find the truth.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
please no one confuse my high post count with knowledge...it's all nothingness
see...

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Not necessarily Jack. Sure intelligence is inherent, but knowledge ought to grow overtime. Half of what we discuss on this forum called "serious" threads are based on theories anyhow. We need a basic understanding of the background, after that, anybody can learn to play.
Do you honestly think I'm lacking in the quest for knowledge department? If you're just talking about type theory, you might be the undergrad student, whereas I am the old professor who quit the University and started his own academy. How many questions am I going to phone you up to ask?

please no one confuse my high post count with knowledge...it's all nothingness
see...
we'll do that General :D
lols

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
From what I am used to seeing from several other forums and communities of all sorts in general. Once a new member joins, one of his interests are to "assimilate" into a community. Naturally, you do go after the oldest members with the highest "post count" to look at as "guides".

Also, people with higher post counts are "expected" to have a higher deciding value in a thread, than someone completely new simply because he has an established identity, which's value is inturn put on the poker table for gambling in each post he makes. A new poster on the other hand has no "expectations" of his to gamble on.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All are deluded, but he who analyses his delusions is called a philosopher. ~ Ambrose Bierce.

Philosophers have high post-count.

Correlation between delusion and post-count?

Mayhaps....

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
All are deluded, but he who analyses his delusions is called a philosopher. ~ Ambrose Bierce.

Mayhaps....
Your logic is delusional.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
From what I am used to seeing from several other forums and communities of all sorts in general. Once a new member joins, one of his interests are to "assimilate" into a community. Naturally, you do go after the oldest members with the highest "post count" to look at as "guides".

Yes, exactly! The dynamic has entirely to do with social integration. This applies to both the board, to any small groups of "cliques" (I use this loosely here, not in a negative way) and even on topics.

This becomes especially true when the topics can be more involved - certain groups of individuals often have past history that they can reference, or just have a common point of reference, and that naturally invites "caution" on the part of a new poster.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yes, exactly! The dynamic has entirely to do with social integration. This applies to both the board, to any small groups of "cliques" (I use this loosely here, not in a negative way) and even on topics.

This becomes especially true when the topics can be more involved - certain groups of individuals often have past history that they can reference, or just have a common point of reference, and that naturally invites "caution" on the part of a new poster.
For some, but such a delay is...I don't know, what's the point of posting if you're only posting what you think others want to hear? To be liked? LOL.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yeah see, noone here has my past history and they nevertheless socially integrated me, like they moved my blog in an ultimately clever plan to the NF boards.

Thats modern dictatorship. Assimilation from within :D

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Do you honestly think I'm lacking in the quest for knowledge department? If you're just talking about type theory, you might be the undergrad student, whereas I am the old professor who quit the University and started his own academy. How many questions am I going to phone you up to ask?
Who says I was referring to you personally. They do say defensiveness arises from insecurity...

And no, please do not phone me. There's no point if you don't believe in what's contrary to your thinking. It'll be a waste of time.

Also, people with higher post counts are "expected" to have a higher deciding value in a thread, than someone completely new simply because he has an established identity, which's value is inturn put on the poker table for gambling in each post he makes. A new poster on the other hand has no "expectations" of his to gamble on.
I agree with the first, not sure about the second part about gambling identities in every post. Unless you're pretending to be somebody you're not that thought shouldn't ever come up. Unless you're saying you're a pretender? ;)

Mayhaps....
+1 :D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:( Damn... you aren't all fooled into thinking that I'm the 3rd smartest person here by my amazing postcount?

:cry:

Really- newer posters sometimes DO look up to older members- like when I was new Sub and Jennifer- they offer social cues as to how things go on the site and what can fly and what can't. It's like having an older sibling here or something :)

Higher postcount doesn't mean that a person knows more about everything, but you can probably safely assume that someone with a higher post count has a better understanding of the forum dynamics than someone who is newer.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Who says I was referring to you personally. They do say defensiveness arises from insecurity...
Keep rackin' em up, why don't you. You were responding to my post and taking a somewhat contrary position, and you know it. Back to the topic of knowledge, let me rephrase. Person A has long since considered everything Person B proposes along with statements such as "Have you considered this?" Person A responds with "Yes, I have, and it's a-no-good." But Person B can't seem to believe it's possible. Too bad for Person B.