• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The influence of avatars

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Mine are usually a person or character I either admire or identify with. I loved Liz Lemon trying to get out of jury duty by dressing up as Princess Leia (a costume she already owned). I've also had Morticia Addams (tv series version) and Nancy Wilson of Heart. So basically, you are getting a glimpse of my inner self.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm not sure what mine says at the moment...hmmm.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
does it? okay...that works for me.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I pick avatars based on my interests. And of course, on these forums they have to fit my Disney theme. :D

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I like this avatar. It gives people the impression I'm some old, wise fart.

nasmoe

MBTI Type
IXFP
Enneagram
I just liked how my avatar looked. I was hoping it would show my silliness, and that Ronald McDonald is scary.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
i'm not sure what mine says at the moment...hmmm.

Art deco?

I think mine says "please don't take me too seriously because I'm really just a silly little lol cat." It's a non-verbal INFP apology for any gaffes I'm inevitably going to make. Plus, I have a pretty twisted sense of humor (I love black comedy), and if I said dark things with a scarier icon it could be taken very much the wrong way.

Of course, this can pose a problem when I'm actually being srs.:steam:
Sometimes I'll be defending something I feel passionately about, being ever-so-cynical and critical, then I'll glance at my icon and imagine the little kitten stomping his tiny paws in an adorable fit of temper. That doesn't help my credibility in arguments much, I suppose. :blush:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Mine usually reflects my mood at the time I chose it.

By the way... do you "get" any symbolism in this one? ;)

I think mine says "please don't take me too seriously because I'm really just a silly little lol cat." It's a non-verbal INFP apology for any gaffes I'm inevitably going to make. Plus, I have a pretty twisted sense of humor (I love black comedy), and if I said dark things with a scarier icon it could be taken very much the wrong way.

Of course, this can pose a problem when I'm actually being srs.:steam:
Sometimes I'll be defending something I feel passionately about, being ever-so-cynical and critical, then I'll glance at my icon and imagine the little kitten stomping his tiny paws in an adorable fit of temper. That doesn't help my credibility in arguments much, I suppose. :blush:

Actually, I read your avatar as defiant, creative, and having a bit of an attitude. If anything, it made me read your posts as more confident and assertive than they were. Interesting.

Possibly because I pictured that angry cat leaping onto someone and tearing them to shreds despite it's small size. Most cat avatars don't do that to me, but that one was so clearly angry!

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Sometimes I think it looks cool, other times it reflects my mood, but mostly it's a combination of both.

As for other peoples' avatars, I've noticed that it can occasionally change my perception of a poster when they change it, but that's more because I usually ignore usernames and only really catch the avatar. Once I re-associate the new avatar with the username, that tends to go away. It does seem to somewhat alter the flavour of the writing, though, for whatever reason.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am a huge fan of one-handed green lightsabers

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm not sure if mine has any influence, but I chose it because of its depth--it's almost an illustration of my soul.
Yeah, I am totally deep, dude...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Mine usually reflects my mood at the time I chose it.

By the way... do you "get" any symbolism in this one? ;)

Are the three parts representative of your subtitle of "fragmented..being"? Emotional, idealistic, and logical? Just my interpretation.

Actually, I read your avatar as defiant, creative, and having a bit of an attitude. If anything, it made me read your posts as more confident and assertive than they were. Interesting.

Possibly because I pictured that angry cat leaping onto someone and tearing them to shreds despite it's small size. Most cat avatars don't do that to me, but that one was so clearly angry!

It's funny that you perceive that cat as being angry. I see it as being amused. I see it as laughing, perhaps laughing *at* someone, but more in a hee-hee-hee way than a truly viscious way. I guess it is an attitude-y little kitty ( I, Pussy!), but I imagine that cat as being teasing yet essentially harmless because of it's diminuative size.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Are the three parts representative of your subtitle of "fragmented..being"? Emotional, idealistic, and logical? Just my interpretation.

I think so. Yes.

It's funny that you perceive that cat as being angry. I see it as being amused. I see it as laughing, perhaps laughing *at* someone, but more in a hee-hee-hee way than a truly viscious way. I guess it is an attitude-y little kitty ( I, Pussy!), but I imagine that cat as being teasing yet essentially harmless because of it's diminuative size.

Ah, I can see that now. But before, it was like the intensity of the cat's anger made it as powerful as a lion in my mind. You might say I made a mountain lion out of a field kitten... or something. I tend to be more affected by the emotions I see in something than the ability of said creature to do something about them.

I mean, honestly... instead of looking at the cat's size, pay attention to what it's expressing. Imagine what it would do... if it could actually ACT on what it was feeling, and impact people or other animals with it's state of mind.

I suppose that perception is because I'm such a mind over matter person. I fear the one with the biggest temper, more than I fear the one with the biggest claws.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Lady X--

Well, Twiggy was a major fashion icon and mod symbol, so there's the iconic cache + retro chic, but there's also the sort of Warhol treatment on the pic itself, so it seems to be both embracing and questioning the idea of pop culture and image. Also, it kinda makes her look like a superhero. :p I like the av.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I usually like my avatars to give off an intense feel, while still being characteristic of me in a way.