• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The influence of avatars

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hell yeah they do. You can get away with more if you have a happy-go-lucky avatar. People are more likely to assume you're "kidding around," whether you are or not.

What happens when you have a smug, complacent one?

I'm curious.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hey. Lets start a new thread called "what does my avatar tell you?" I'll post a link here if I feel motivated

Edit: Linzink.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^
No thread-fucking required.

BTW, Lookin' pretty vacant there, Ed.

EDIT, oops, I posted the hat before EA's post. ;)

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Wow, this thread has really turned to shit since I made my soon-to-be-infamous companion thread.

:coffee:

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
How do they affect you? Do you choose them to reflect your mood/persona or do you find they alter the way you feel/interact online?
Have you noticed changes in the way other people interact with you after changing your av?
<----I'm curious.

they don't 'affect' me at all. i just notice them and figure that's how they want others to see them. only rarely do i see a huge contradiction that makes me fleetingly wonder what they're trying to cause me to think, or what they could possibly be trying to convey since it makes no immediate sense.

as far as how others react towards me, i don't find much difference, as i'm pretty consistent with my 'themes'; i don't change them according to mood. ever. it's more of an overall thing.

sorry, I just....Really? :shock: no.

yeah, i cringe every time i read such comments.

I wouldn't say avatars influence so much as inform. They're the most immediately apparent extension of the poster's personality.

i approach it much the same way.

Airius

MBTI Type
INTJ
I usually recognize people on forums by their avatars, rather than by names, so I imagine that eye-catching ones work wonders to get people to notice you.

I choose my own by mood.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Usually, I don't think it makes a difference for me, but one member has the same distinctive facial expression and body positioning of one ex in an avatar (same MBTI too :eek:), and i find myself avoiding the member's posts.

MissMurder

MBTI Type
eSTP
I never look at a poster's name, unless something about it really makes it stick out (love it/hate it... it's witty, etc). Otherwise, I know everyone by their avatar. So if they change it, it's like they're a different person... until I notice the writing style is similar to someone else. Then, maybe if I give a fig, I'll look at their posts and figure out who they are. But, usually I don't bother with it.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Avatars are sorta like clothing. They protect us and give us an opportunity to telegraph something about ourselves.

That may be what we wish we were or something we actually are.
I look at them as a self-help method to reinforce something we are working on projecting.

Edit: I'm presently working on remembering not to set my little rosebud down on that fencepost.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Usually, I don't think it makes a difference for me, but one member has the same distinctive facial expression and body positioning of one ex in an avatar (same MBTI too :eek:), and i find myself avoiding the member's posts.

yeah. I avoid his posts too...but for different reasons. ;)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I look at them as a self-help method to reinforce something we are working on projecting.

Edit: I'm presently working on remembering not to set my little rosebud down on that fencepost.
:eek:
You got that pussy-vibe down gurl.

I never look at a poster's name, unless something about it really makes it stick out (love it/hate it... it's witty, etc). Otherwise, I know everyone by their avatar. So if they change it, it's like they're a different person... until I notice the writing style is similar to someone else. Then, maybe if I give a fig, I'll look at their posts and figure out who they are. But, usually I don't bother with it.
That's interesting. I had no idea ppl did this. But I'm much more tuned into language than visual imagery.
yeah, i cringe every time i read such comments.
:hug:

Wow, this thread has really turned to shit since I made my soon-to-be-infamous companion thread.
I think you took most of the shit with you, tbh.

Airius

MBTI Type
INTJ
:woot:

Right before we launch our attack.
He'll never see it coming.