• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The influence of avatars

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
How do they affect you? Do you choose them to reflect your mood/persona or do you find they alter the way you feel/interact online?
Have you noticed changes in the way other people interact with you after changing your av?
<----I'm curious.
Since I am very visual, a person's avatar does have an affect on me.
Sometimes I get a strong sense of someone's type by the avatar they've chosen.
I enjoy looking at beautiful things so I enjoy the pretty avatars the most.
I enjoy the funny ones, like edcoaching's approximist/perfectionist avatar.
I don't care for the ones with blood or violent aggression, etc.
I just use my Firefox Adblock Image feature to block them because they're distracting and can give me bad feelings.

I have not noticed anyone treating me differently, but I believe I've only had two avatars and they've both been of waterfalls.
I choose waterfalls because they are one of the most beautiful things on this earth that I enjoy.

I don't believe someone's avatar has much influence on how I respond to them in a post, though I would assume it must to at least a small degree, since I am not a robot, and as I said, I am very visual.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
you might just need to put that in your siggy...haha

Point taken: I come off as gay . . . Excuse me for a second :emot-emo:

What effect does mine have? Because you never know just how you look through other people's eyes.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Point taken: I come off as gay . . . Excuse me for a second :emot-emo:

What effect does mine have? Because you never know just how you look through other people's eyes.

haha...i'm just kidding...i just saw another post where you felt you had to say it...i thought it was funny :)

and your avi...is just kinda weird...kinda funny.?? i don't really get emo..so...i guess i honestly don't think much about it...

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
When a poster has a long-term avatar it tends to colour my perception of them, if only in the sense that I assume it's an avatar which they consider especially apt (rather than one they are too lazy to change). It's also obviously a big part of the first-impressions a newbie makes, which can take some time to shake.

No avatar atrocity can entirely counterbalance the effect of a few good posts though. Although flowery dreamy INFP avatars with fairies and rainbows etc really get my goat.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm actually thinking about changing mine. I can't decide, what impression do you get from my avatar and how does it color your perception of my posts

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Your posts are humorous and light hearted. I enjoy reading them, but the avatar just creeps me out bro. I tend to not associate it with your posts other than "Hey its Aimahn posting" so its probably something entertaining

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^^ well not at all like your real pic...
you look all sinister and cocky in your avi but seem quite the opposite from your pic

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm actually thinking about changing mine. I can't decide, what impression do you get from my avatar and how does it color your perception of my posts

Without even looking at your type I thought "INTP". Late teens/early twenties. Considerate towards loading times of victims of dial-up. Feels like irl people don't realize how dark he really is. Gets credited with niceness he considers offensively undeserved.

RiderOnTheStorm

E. N.. T... :P
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How do they affect you? Do you choose them to reflect your mood/persona or do you find they alter the way you feel/interact online?
Have you noticed changes in the way other people interact with you after changing your av?
<----I'm curious.

There is usually a hidden message in my av's pertaining to how I am feeling about the place in my life, or a picture of myself with a facial expression telling of my current attitude. So it changes often :p

As for other peoples av's affecting the way I interact with them...it has no effect. Though, I do read into them and wonder what makes a person choose a particular av.

I have noticed a change in the way people interact with me. That's interesting to see.

wolfy

awsm

Cocky. That you like the Joker. I quite like it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Without even looking at your type I thought "INTP". Late teens/early twenties. Considerate towards loading times of victims of dial-up. Feels like irl people don't realize how dark he really is. Gets credited with niceness he considers offensively undeserved.
nice read...i like it and can totally see that

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
There is usually a hidden message in my av's pertaining to how I am feeling about the place in my life, or a picture of myself with a facial expression telling of my current attitude. So it changes often :p

As for other peoples av's affecting the way I interact with them...it has no effect. Though, I do read into them and wonder what makes a person choose a particular av.

I have noticed a change in the way people interact with me. That's interesting to see.

What seems to be troubling you lately? Image gives off a stoic resolve to an emptiness in life.

wolfy

awsm

This one seems anxious, exposed maybe fearful. The last one I can't remember but from your posts you seem different to your present avatar, more friendly.

RiderOnTheStorm

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What seems to be troubling you lately? Image gives off a stoic resolve to an emptiness in life.

Wearing the sheer clothing and the shadows representing...truth which is often dark...surrounding me...sitting there on a stool....alone with my thoughts with a blank expression...staring like I am numb to all of it...the glowing of the skin representing an a positive attitude in the face of adversity. And the woman in that av looks like me. :D

RiderOnTheStorm

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This one seems anxious, exposed maybe fearful. The last one I can't remember but from your posts you seem different to your present avatar, more friendly.

Me, more friendly? How is that possible? lol

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
dude . . . um . . . I just clicked on your sig and um . . . yeah . . .

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
You know I love medicine but I am not into the whole dead thing. I am great with kids and hope to be a pediatrician one day so I hope the worst thing I have to deal with is giving one of them a shot. If worst gets to worst, maybe, maybe a circumcision. But god damn, did I hate anatomy lab.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i know it's silly but they do color the words of the poster for me...
i suddenly find you a lil softer ;)
Really? I thought it was more analytical and cooler.

It's whatever's pic from the symbolize thread. You know how these ENxPs know you better than you know yourself..:)

i'm in a weird place...so very much inside myself at the moment...so yes...that makes sense
Also, beautifully vulnerable.

Amargith said:
I chose mine as it resembles what I want to become.
You want to become a hot nekked chick? That could be arranged....:devil:

Yes, I am now more hostile to you, why did you get rid of Audrey?

To piss you off.
I find yours quite off-putting too.
You're welcome. :D

First of all, it is an easy Way to keep Track of One's Posts.
Besides, yes it does change a Person a lil. People with very "serious Avas" *sound* quite a Bit more serious than People with more uh..."open" Avatars.

Besides, Avas make a good Conversation-Starter.
Yeah. I don't like that bit....

I just found my avatar physically and abstractly interesting. Don't know what it does personally...
It makes you look like a statue. (That's quite a literal interpretation...)

The old Dylan avatar from the movie made you seem more cynical. In a good way.
The new one makes you kind of sexy like I want to nod my head at anything you say. :yes:
Good answer.

I noticed that my old avatar (Banksy reaper) alongside my pseudonym used to give people a sense of darkness/danger about me -- this couldn't be further from the truth.

I'm quite warm. You'd think me an ENxJ if we met.
ENTJ? :2up:
ENFJ? :wubbie:
ENxJ? :unsure:

Since I am very visual, a person's avatar does have an affect on me.
Sometimes I get a strong sense of someone's type by the avatar they've chosen.

I don't believe someone's avatar has much influence on how I respond to them in a post, though I would assume it must to at least a small degree, since I am not a robot, and as I said, I am very visual.
Yes, I think how visual you are must have a bearing. I was reading about mirror neurons last night. They are activated just by looking at an image of someone doing something. So, for example, if you look at a person, or even a pic of someone smiling, it activates the mirror neurons in your brain - as if you were smiling yourself. It's how we learn from others. And forcing yourself to smile can change your mood. This suggests that if you want people to like you, you should have a smiley avatar (it won't work on JJJ tho'...).
Yours makes me want to pee. (just kiddin'). :newwink:

I like yours. Much better than the last one which I found a bit disturbing. I'd like it better if you lost the white paint altogether. ;)

Yes, I've noticed too.
And I've also noticed my own attitude change, I'm just not sure which came first, the image, or the attitude.

This new one is my fav of yours.