• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The influence of avatars

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I find that people usually mistake me on forums for being male or they have to ask me what my gender I am. I like to pick gender neutral names and avatars, but I don't do it on purpose. But maybe I just post more T-like...

*edit* Wow. That post didn't contribute to the conversation at all. lol

Eh don't worry about it.

You always seemed quite feminine to me.

I don't if it's because you said you were a girl when you first came here, or not, but I've also always seen you more feminine. Don't worry about it, though..I'm sure other people have the same problem..but you shouldn't.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
The upside-down smiley face is something that a friend of mine came up with as a symbol to represent me, and he had no idea how accurate it was. I've used it for quite a large amount of things since.

However, when I first joined this forum, I didn't use it (and don't really know why. I guess it just didn't cross my mind.)

Though, I wonder how my avatar influences peoples reactions from reading my posts :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sorry if I scare people with my new avatar! It just fits my mood well at the moment. :D

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I usually post what I think is interesting. I found my current one of Bowie and thought: "Awesome!" and used it as an avatar. It does seem a little 'heavy' for my writing style which is a sort of stiff but soft.

I like it, though, because I would come across as serious first and then my writing style would show a somewhat softer side. It's probably why my 'Headcrab: Aggressive Contraceptive System' avatar didn't last long.

LucrativeSid

Sometimes I choose an avatar that represents what I'm aspiring to become or trying to remind myself of because I know that I'm going to see it a lot more than everybody else. Anybody else do that?

Right now my avatar is just a lame joke that probably won't last long.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Sometimes I choose an avatar that represents what I'm aspiring to become or trying to remind myself of because I know that I'm going to see it a lot more than everybody else. Anybody else do that?

Right now my avatar is just a lame joke that probably won't last long.

ENTP on a roll, LOL. :rofl1:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I choose an avatar based on the intensity level. And of course what represents me.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I chose my avatar because I want to go dancing, lol.

The pic represents well my current mood :yes:
+ my hair is as long as hers (even if somewhat darker), which is a very good reason to choose this pic photo, too. :laugh:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
mine usually represent my moods too. :)

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure how they affect me. I change my avatars a lot but I am careful to choose things that I believe represent me or connect with me in some way. Usually I have a portrait of myself that I commissioned someone to make, art or a screenshot of a fictional character to whom I relate, or a photograph of a musician to whom I relate. I try to choose styles that are closer to my personality and try not to select anything that looks like something I don't believe I am (i.e. overtly happy or feminine).

I think people I know tend to treat me the same no matter what avatar I have, unless I'm missing something. It's always the first impressions I have to watch out for. I've made the mistake of having avatars of women (even if they are neutral in expression and pose) and having people see me in a more feminine light. That sort of behavior disturbs me. When I have an androgynous or male avatar, I tend to prefer how new people assume that I was assigned male at birth.