First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Littlelostnf View Post
    Do you say that to your daughter because you're almost positive she's an NF? Have you ever tried that personality page link for kids? I do it for the kids in my class (I also send the link to their parents) just do see if their results match mine. Some parents are thrilled to read about their child. Some results I never get back so I just go with my thoughts. Most times the answers match up (the parents and mine). It's a real help to me to have an idea of their type. So again don't know if you'd tried but maybe you'd like to.
    Yes, because I'm pretty sure she's an NF, I sometimes use what she and I have in common as a starting point for explaining our differences with the wider population. She has always been a mommy's girl and she loves to feel that identification with me.

I tried the link after you posted it. I got through three of the kids before I had to stop for awhile. All three came out as I expected, but I suspect it is difficult for me to perform such a quiz objectively.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'm glad you could use it. Perhaps you could ask their teachers to take it for you and see if the results come out the same.
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

MBTI
    INFJ

I took the keirsey sorter when I was 12. I came out INFP. It was sort of interesting, but not fascinating. I didn't spend much time studying it or trying to understand the system.

In college, I tested again as an INFP.

Just before going to Russia to teach ESL, in the middle of intensive boot-camp style training for ESL teachers, I tested INTJ.

Some years later I began to test INFJ.

I grew up in a family of Js, so I tried to take on a passive role of "whatever you want" in order to keep the peace--problems inevitably arose when my J asserted itself. It took a few years of being on my own before I became comfortable with expressing myself in a J-ish manner, seeing that it was good and okay and didn't have to mean that I was automatically being rebellious and stubborn and selfish.

Discovering MBTI more in-depth over the past 6 years has been full of "Ah-ha!" and "So I'm not crazy after all...!" moments. And it's helped me understand others so much better. I've become more conscious of their strengths and flaws--so I know what to ask of them, and when to back off and just offer empathy.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    I took the keirsey sorter when I was 12. I came out INFP. It was sort of interesting, but not fascinating. I didn't spend much time studying it or trying to understand the system.

In college, I tested again as an INFP.

Just before going to Russia to teach ESL, in the middle of intensive boot-camp style training for ESL teachers, I tested INTJ.

Some years later I began to test INFJ.

I grew up in a family of Js, so I tried to take on a passive role of "whatever you want" in order to keep the peace--problems inevitably arose when my J asserted itself. It took a few years of being on my own before I became comfortable with expressing myself in a J-ish manner, seeing that it was good and okay and didn't have to mean that I was automatically being rebellious and stubborn and selfish.

Discovering MBTI more in-depth over the past 6 years has been full of "Ah-ha!" and "So I'm not crazy after all...!" moments. And it's helped me understand others so much better. I've become more conscious of their strengths and flaws--so I know what to ask of them, and when to back off and just offer empathy.
    What made you decided on INFJ as the ultimate fit after going thru so many? More Ahha's! with the description of INFJ?
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

MBTI
    TiSe

I was 39, when I found out about MBTI and just recently have been able to determine my best fit type (now 46). I read somewhere recently that attempting to determine type, by this age, is quite arduous due to all of the experience gained and development of functions.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I was 39, when I found out about MBTI and just recently have been able to determine my best fit type (now 46). I read somewhere recently that attempting to determine type, by this age, is quite arduous due to all of the experience gained and development of functions.
    That's what others of us here have thought as well. Once someone gets well-rounded, it becomes theoretically hard to "unmix" and see which traits were stronger to begin with.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Pfft

It was in gifted class in seventh grade that I first became aquainted with my MBTI type. My gifted teacher had me write an essay about it, and I seem to recall her liking it... As did my parents, actually. I think they locked that essay away somewhere, I should look for it next time I visit.

Did it affect my development into an adult? Not really. I had already self-identified as a smartassed nerd who was fine with not caring about what needed to be done to fit in.

Towards the end of highschool, I did a little bit more studying of MBTI with a good friend of mine, an ENFP. Reading the descriptions of SJs and the statistic that 80% of people practice no sort of introspection filled him with a sort of infectious rage.

Now, that gave me a ready excuse to not interact with anyone in college. And, aside from my professors and the occasional student who would be fascinated enough by my comical rants to listen to me occasionally, that's exactly what happened. With the exception of a year withdrawing from everything as completely as I could manage, I'd say that I managed to make college the most depressing and lonely experience of my life.

There were some bright spots. As I went through college, though, I seemed to continue to get part time jobs as a cashier or in some direct customer-service sort of capacity. It's not typically a sort of job that a withdrawn introvert wants for themselves, but it was certainly good for me. I found that my "gift" for bantering with people on the Internet really did have applications in real life. That placing myself in a position above everyone was foolish. That everyone has a story or insight that will surprise a blase elitist smartass.

Thanks to the OP for the reminder.

MBTI
    INTp

The first time I figured out my type I was 16 or 17 and it was part of one of my business classes. I didn't really think about it again for a long time after that. I always assumed it was one of those tests where every answer sounds kind of like you. I wish that I'd have thought more about it sooner. During that time I was in denial that I was a T because it wasn't very "womanly" of me and I was a new parent trying to "do things the right way." I tested T anyway and that probably further encouraged me to ignore my type. I rediscovered it about a year ago (at 22) and it's helped mostly with interpersonal relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    I learned my type at 18. It still didn't help me avoid law school. In other words, knowing it still hasn't helped me avoid the pitfalls of being an INTP.
    Me either. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Primarily Ahha! It more helped me to see where other people were coming from. For instance, I realized that my husband wasn't intentionally foiling all my plans, he's just a P and feels differently about plans and decisions than I do.
    Agreed! I am so much more able to relate to my ExFP mother now! It has taught me how much "random" acts of kindness mean to F's and how to keep her from getting angry at me for being me.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlelostnf View Post
    Fortunato mentions that knowing about MBTI earlier would have helped him during his adolescence. Anyone here feel differently? I'm wondering if those younger forum members can be or have been overly influenced by knowing their type. I'm just fleshing this out in my head so this is all just a process but...I'm wondering if it would simply be better to have parents know a childs type and be able to work with their adolescent with understanding then to have an adolescent know their type. Could it be that knowing could be detrimental to some extent...JUST ASKING.
    I think if I'd known more about it in my youth it would have helped me get over my belief that i was supposed to be something else. I wish I'd have realized that being an INTP (most notably the NT part) didn't mean that I was some sort of freak and it didn't mean that I was a bad parent. I think it would have helped me have an easier time in college.

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I highly suggest people refrain from trying to type themselves
    if they are going through an unusual period of time in their life.
    The result can be typing a temporary period of time, rather than typing a human being.

On a side note, I find it appalling how many are using "type" against others like a weapon.
    They don't even know the person.
    The deluded, think they DO.

To think that someone would actually write, "now I know why I don't like you"
    after seeing four letters of the alphabet, is tantamount to insanity.

I think personality typing can be more destructive in society, than constructive.
    The "label war" and stereotyping continues.
    Last edited by Jaguar; 05-20-2007 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Feel like it.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Heh. Kids my age surf around too much maybe. Actually, I'd read about it at least 2 years ago, but since I didn't really have anyone to talk to about it, I dropped all interest.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D