• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's aggressive?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
In interest of finding out what constitutes aggressive behavior, I'd like to ask your view about a few things of interest.

I'm ENTJ, the type half the people in here has rated as the most aggressive. I'm trying to find out what you consider as aggressive behavior, to put all of that into perspective. Someone was rightfully asking to define aggressiveness, too. I believe some definitions will make the conversation a bit more grounded.

Please rate these actions for their aggressiveness.

Rating scheme:

* = withdrawn, submitting, agreeable, helpful, kindly informational
** = Hinting, suggesting, indirectly influencing, kindly influencing
*** = Assertive, determined, persisting, direct, respectful
**** = Intimidating, threatening, markedly selfish, rude
***** = insulting, violently threatening, angry, confrontational

Edit: or simply * the least and ***** the most aggressive, with other scores between the extremes. Tell if you used the simplified rating scheme.

1) Having an intense, determined facial expression and looking in the eye

2) Making others to make way for them in a public place

3) Changing history to their benefit, i.e. "I supported that back in the 2003"

4) Insisting others having said things that they did not

5) Talking with the style of authority the others can't match

6) Arguing for a decision to be made their way because "others expect it so"

7) Arguing a mutually interesting point of view in a calm but determined manner

8) Giving a counter-argument to every argument the other person gives in a conversation

9) Pointing out to the crowd that someone is holding a view that is widely unpopular to them

10) Joking with the use of violence and using the body language to drive the other person away

11) Continuing to argue on a point after every point is met with a counter-argument

12) Publicly criticizing a disruptive, insulting person

13) Refusing to discuss a subject on the basis that disagreements are "distasteful" or "childish" to them

14) Continuing to behave in a way that multiple persons are criticizing at the time

15) Suggesting to end partnership/employment/co-operation in case of a certain decision

16) Hinting to file a complaint of the other person, and the trouble they'll be in

17) Telling to call the cops if the other person won't comply

18) Shouting at a person, "I'll sue you!"

19) Pointing out that other person can't win them in a dispute because of practical matters make them unable to

20) Pointing out that other person can't win them in a dispute because of the personal danger involved

Thank you.

wolfy

awsm
4) Insisting that others said things that they did not
8) Giving a counter-argument to every argument the other person gives in a conversation
9) Pointing out to the crowd that someone is holding a view that is widely unpopular to them
10) Joking with the use violence and using the body language to drive the other person away
?
11) Continuing to argue on a point after every point is met with a counter-argument
13) Refusing to discuss a subject on the basis that disagreements are "distasteful" or "childish" to them
14) Continuing to behave in a way that multiple persons are criticizing at the time
?
15) Suggesting to end partnership/employment/co-operation in case of a certain decision
16) Hinting to file a complaint of the other person, and the trouble they'll be in
19) Pointing out that other person can't win them in a dispute because of practical matters make them unable to
20) Pointing out that other person can't win them in a dispute because of the personal danger involved
**** ( like threats?)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
* = withdrawn, submitting, agreeable, helpful, kindly informational
** = Hinting, suggesting, indirectly influencing, kindly influencing
*** = Assertive, determined, persisting, direct, respectful
**** = Intimidating, threatening, markedly selfish, rude
***** = insulting, violently threatening, angry, confrontational

10) Joking with the use violence and using the body language to drive the other person away

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I can't rate those things, but I isolated the ones that - even just sometimes - resonate with me:

Thank you.

I actually especially enjoy 14) in a kind of perverse way.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I isolated the ones that - even just sometimes - resonate with me: ..

I actually especially enjoy 14) in a kind of perverse way.

I do sometimes, too, if some group-thinking crowd haven't found out how doing thing X actually works to preserve their values, although in a less evident way. I guess I do some of these:

am_i_evil666

D

Dali

depends on mode of delivery
see 15
see 15
depends on context
?

Thank you
You're welcome

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
For the most part, Mr. Tu, I find that the term is colloquially malleable, if not misused.
Aggression has sort of inhabitable ring around the planet, as it were.

That is, it covers the holistic idea of a wide range of more specific and descriptive adjectives. The reason most people like this word is because they can make a pretty quick (subsequently shallow and possibly largely incorrect) judgement on a given character.
It's best to take these peoples' opinions lightly.

But please -- do as you will.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
For the most part, Mr. Tu, I find that the term is colloquially malleable, if not misused.
Aggression has sort of inhabitable ring around the planet, as it were.

That is, it covers the holistic idea of a wide range of more specific and descriptive adjectives. The reason most people like this word is because they can make a pretty quick (subsequently shallow and possibly largely incorrect) judgement on a given character.
It's best to take these peoples' opinions lightly.

But please -- do as you will.
Which is why I was interested of MBTIc member's view. People have talked over and over about aggressiveness, perhaps with some of the usual dictionary definitions in mind, or perhaps something else. Examining the responses lets me guess at the different views of that trait, for example someone not (probably) including passive aggressiveness with their definition. I was about to address this issue.

With these kinds of questions, neither the trait in question (aggressiveness) or the behaviors (20 questions) can be established in a completely absolute sense. Rather, they are being evaluated in a relative and a bit absolute sense, too. Tells something about the people, too.

Two phrases of interest are those of aggressive campaigning and aggressive marketing. There the element of "aggression" hints at more disagreeable methods of delivery; lying, mass mailing, etc.. not that the campaigners or marketers were angry or dangerous by any means.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Which is why I was interested of MBTIc member's view. People have talked over and over about aggressiveness, perhaps with some of the usual dictionary definitions in mind, or perhaps something else. Examining the responses lets me guess at the different views of that trait, for example someone not (probably) including passive aggressiveness with their definition. I was about to address this issue.
I don't think I understand -- you intend to learn each of the individuals' understanding of the word? From what I can only assume you'd extrapolate their interpretation of the ENTJ archetype. Correct?

Two phrases of interest are those of aggressive campaigning and aggressive marketing. There the element of "aggression" hints at more disagreeable methods of delivery; lying, mass mailing, etc.. not that the campaigners or marketers were angry or dangerous by any means.
Or perhaps you're trying to understand everyone's collective assumption of what aggressive is, based on these individuals?

:confused:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't think I understand -- you intend to learn each of the individuals' understanding of the word? From what I can only assume you'd extrapolate their interpretation of the ENTJ archetype. Correct?
Well, first I want to identify the aggressive behaviors; those we can agree on, and those that only particular kind of people - or just a few individuals - consider aggressive.

In the second part, I'd like to draw attention to different styles of aggression. Perhaps F people see arguing as aggressive? Perhaps T people see it as an attempt for greater good? Are there people who see physical threats as acceptable?

Of course, I'd be delighted to know that ENTJ are seen as acceptably aggressive, rather than someone who beats people up. Then again, if people do think the latter way, I'll know to be cautious of such aggressive traits within me.

I am afraid I might be insensitive to some kind of aggressiveness, while sensitive to something I see as aggression in others. There might be a misjudgment of character both ways. I'm hoping to analyze the information here well enough to use it for personal character development.

Or perhaps you're trying to understand everyone's collective assumption of what aggressive is, based on these individuals?
Trying that, yes. Using the knowledge I've gained here will reveal for me whether I did any good trying to understand :)

Later:
A: He was so aggressive..
Me: He held his opinion or threatened you somehow?
A: It was the way he looked. He was really loud, too.
Me: Okay.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
In interest of finding out what constitutes aggressive behavior, I'd like to ask your view about a few things of interest.

I'm ENTJ, the type half the people in here has rated as the most aggressive. I'm trying to find out what you consider as aggressive behavior, to put all of that into perspective. Someone was rightfully asking to define aggressiveness, too. I believe some definitions will make the conversation a bit more grounded. Please rate these actions for their aggressiveness.

It's probably indicative of my temperament that I'm reading over this list and am thinking I need to know specific detailed circumstances in order to be able to rate these for aggressiveness, plus it would help a lot to have visual evidence of exactly HOW the person is saying and doing these actions. Almost all of these can be done politely or rudely, and presentation matters a great deal. I've written my recaction to the following in red for those I have issues with:

childish

4) Insisting others having said things that they did not
pointless and childish -- other people have long, detailed memories and if they're bitter enough, they will use that to your disadvantage

Not sure why others should care about popular opinion

10) Joking with the use of violence and using the body language to drive the other person away
I don't like violence either in jest or in reality, and I avoid dealing with violent-talking people

rude, childish, and lacking common sense. If others are verbally criticizing you, maybe it's time to take a time out in order to evaluate why. You can make a strong point without being a bully.

Just quietly file the complaint and let the person get in trouble -- don't brag about it before it happens. If "trouble" doesn't happen, or doesn't end up being as bad as you predicted, you'll look silly.

Personal danger YOU plan to inflict? If so, see above comments re violence.

Don't threaten -- just do it. Just quietly sue them. Much more dignified.

As for the rest of these, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them, IF the person doing them is speaking politely and not threatening violence:

19) Pointing out that other person can't win them in a dispute because of practical matters make them unable to.

:)

Sarah