• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Depression or Plain Old Self-Loathing?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
How does one tell the difference?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Doesn't self-loathing turn into depression?

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Doesn't self-loathing turn into depression?

That's what I was thinking. It can, at least. [Edit] I think self-loathing is often a big component in depression, meaning if you have depression, you probably have a significant amount of self-loathing, too. Self-esteem correlates positively with happiness (but not success; that's a myth), so it should follow that unhappiness correlates positively with self-loathing, but not necessarily lack of success.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
(The power out of) Self-loathing:

[YOUTUBE="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tyRrCTJjigw"]Narayan[/YOUTUBE]

(The power out of) Depression:

[YOUTUBE="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DYkNBSHdsdA"]Shadow[/YOUTUBE]

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think they both can trigger the other. Two very intertwined concepts.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Self-loathing can be playful, it can have boundaries, it can be balanced, or even somewhat healthy. Maybe.

Depression (Major Depressive Disorder in the DSM IV) is more severe. The DSM IV criteria are:

Single Episode

A. Presence of a single Major Depressive Episode (see below)

B. The Major Depressive Episode is not better accounted for by Schizoaffective Disorder and is not superimposed on Schizophrenia, Schizophreniform Disorder, Delusional Disorder, or Psychotic Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.

C. There has never been a Manic Episode, a Mixed Episode, or a Hypomanic Episode. Note: This exclusion does not apply if all the manic-like, mixed-like, or hypomanic-like episodes are substance or treatment induced or are due to the direct physiological effects of a general medical condition.

Recurrent

A. Presence of two or more Major Depressive Episodes.

Note: To be considered separate episodes, there must be an interval of at least 2 consecutive months in which criteria are not met for a Major Depressive Episode.

B. The Major Depressive Episodes are not better accounted for by Schizoaffective Disorder and are not superimposed on Schizophrenia, Schizophreniform Disorder, Delusional Disorder, or Psychotic Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.

C. There has never been a Manic Episode, a Mixed Episode, or a Hypomanic Episode. Note: This exclusion does not apply if all the manic-like, mixed-like, or hypomanic-like episodes are substance or treatment induced or are due to the direct physiological effects or a general medical condition.

And it defines "major depressive episode" as:

A. Five (or more) of the following symptoms have been present during the same 2-week period and represent a change from previous functioning; at least one of the symptoms is either (1) depressed mood or (2) loss of interest or pleasure.

Note: Do note include symptoms that are clearly due to a general medical condition, or mood-incongruent delusions or hallucinations.

(1) depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day, as indicated by either subjective report (e.g., feels sad or empty) or observation made by others (e.g., appears tearful). Note: In children and adolescents, can be irritable mood.

(2) markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day (as indicated by either subjective account or observation made by others)

(3) significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain (e.g., a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month), or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day. Note: In children, consider failure to make expected weight gains.

(4) insomnia or hypersomnia nearly every day

(5) psychomotor agitation or retardation nearly every day (observable by others, not merely subjective feelings of restlessness or being slowed down)

(6) fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day

(7) feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt (which may be delusional) nearly every day (not merely self-reproach or guilt about being sick)

(8) diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day (either by subjective account or as observed by others)

(9) recurrent thoughts of death (not just fear of dying), recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide

B. The symptoms do not meet criteria for a Mixed Episode.

C. The symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

D. The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., hypothyroidism).

E. The symptoms are not better accounted for by Bereavement, i.e., after the loss of a loved one, the symptoms persist for longer than 2 months or are characterized by marked functional impairment, morbid preoccupation with worthlessness, suicidal ideation, psychotic symptoms, or psychomotor retardation.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It wasn't a choice. It's who I am.

:coffee:

:)

Anyway, back to the topic. The point is, depression is deep and changes the way you interact and perceive the world. If you've come across depressed people, you can usually see that something's different or heavy about them. They aren't quite alive in the same way that other people are. In my own experience (with other people), there's a loss of levity and playfulness.

If you feel that you've lost some levity and joy, then take a little time and ask yourself how you can really make a good adjustment. You seem to already recognize that you don't like yourself, so you can start there. I like to view it like a tactician... there are some moves you'll make that'll only leave you feeling like a fake, which will make you more resentful of yourself. Other moves will have less "noise." Experiment until you find the right moves.

Whether you actually fit the depressive disorder criteria is really irrelevant, I think. If you see a problem, tackle it, regardless of how it's labeled. The strategies people use to combat depression will work to improve your life regardless of whether you fit some technical criteria.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Thanks for helping me out.
I've just been feeling distressed and apathetic about a lot of things recently.
I don't think I have depression though.
A reason why I asked was because I have some self-esteem problems, which is related to an anxiety towards intimacy- this I think is affecting the potential that many of my friendships could have (I keep things friendly and superficial but I don't like to go deep or talk about my feelings- if anything, forums like these are an outlet for that, haha).
I know a couple of people who have been clinically diagnosed with depression (or have been) and I was just curious if my anxiety implied that I was depressed but I just didn't know it.

falling2fast

MBTI Type
INXJ
I think that hating yourself can definitely lead to depression. I do not think that they necessarily go together. I get depressed easily, but I don't necessarily hate myself. In fact, I like who I am, at least most of the time. It's usually my circumstances that pull me down.