User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

well dwiggie...my memory is shit...i don't know what was going on before the age of at least 5 and i don't remember a whole lot after that...i was basically in my own lil world most the time...haha
    so...anyway...i can understand the discomfort with such definite terms such as never or always...believe me really...so.. i'll just say i don't have a memory of the feeling...alright babe.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    well dwiggie...my memory is shit...i don't know what was going on before the age of at least 5 and i don't remember a whole lot after that...i was basically in my own lil world most the time...haha
    so...anyway...i can understand the discomfort with such definite terms such as never or always...believe me really...so.. i'll just say i don't have a memory of the feeling...alright babe.
    Works for me...*backs off slowly*
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

Default C'est L'amour

Jealousy is proof of love.

While I was flirting with Bettina, Susan leaned across, almost as though she couldn't help herself, and made a comment designed to diminish me in the eyes of Bettina.

At that very moment, I knew Susan loved me.

Unfortunately Susan also has a boyfriend with a wife and two children. And I didn't want to involve myself in the maelstrom of her private life.

This is a pity as Susan is a pretty blonde, a fine athlete and highly intelligent - a catch, let's face it, in anyone's books.

But she was helpless in the face of her jealousy.

And at that moment, she couldn't help but reveal her love.

C'est l'amour.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    `
    For as long as I can remember I have always been intrigued by both of these human qualities.

That being stated, I would love for you guys to share your thoughts, feelings and experiences with jealousy and envy.

So, please state your type, and your sex and the scenarios in which you find/found yourself feeling either jealous or envious.

And please be as honest as possible in your responses.

Thanks much!!!

Jealousy and envy are synonymous, you only needed to state one of the two. The other is superfluous.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Precisely.

And for this reason, experiencing a little jealousy myself or from another person does not bother me. In fact, I think it's kinda sweet.

One of the only sticking points with me and my GF of longest standing was that I never got jealous. She thought it meant I didn't care, and I thought it meant I trusted her love. It's a strange thing.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Jealousy and envy are synonymous, you only needed to state one of the two. The other is superfluous.
    Nope, one can feel jealous without feeling envious.

JEALOUSY definition | Dictionary.com

ENVY definition | Dictionary.com
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Is that a distinction between admiration and envy? It's healthy to have people to look up to and aspire to become like. From what I understand of it, full-blown envy is not wanting others to possess attributes you don't personally have but would like to have. I think it is that "if I can't have it no one can" mentality. This is sad though, because if you really value something it would be sad for it to not exist any where at all.

edit: One issue with envy is the way self concept develops in light of it. For a person to only know him/herself in relationship to whomever they feel superior to is unfortunate. In those cases discovering someone "superior" threatens that very sense of self. There is a way to know oneself without it relying on the context of others. There is intrinsic beauty on various levels that doesn't require superiority to something else in order to have meaning and value. For example, the graceful line of a cheekbone can be beautiful for its mathematical proportion regardless of what any other cheekbone has ever looked like. This way of thinking can be applied to more abstract attributes of thought, intentions, creativity, etc. as well.

I wonder if that is the strength of Fi? It is the cognitive process that knows oneself in a personal and meaningful way.
    I've never really given thought to the difference between envy and jealousy. I kind of use them interchangeably. But as others have mentioned, this seems like a fair distincton: Jealousy is "a state of fear, suspicion or envy over one's possessions," whereas envy is a state of grudging admiration for someone else's possessions or attributes. I like that Toonia said that with EXTREME envy, a person adopts the "if I can't have it, no one can" mentality.

I also liked her talk about comparing oneself to others. I like the bolded part especially. That's a hard state to get to. Where does your value come from? Logically, we all know it shouldn't come from how you stack up against others, because "there will always be greater and lesser persons than yourself" (I think that was from Desiderada, or whateva it's called). But if it doesn't come from there, where does it come from? Do you draw some sort of value from your humanness? How do you get to a state where you value yourself overall despite how you compare to others?

I agree fully.

To admire people and qualities that you yourself do not possess is a positive thing, I believe it comes from a positive place and it facilitates positive things, like personal growth.

Envy, on the other hand, comes from a negative place and it fosters negative things, like bitterness and contempt.
    [Edit] I'd say that envy's prerequisite is admiration, meaning that they go hand-in-hand. Example: I'm in a store shopping for clothes and see several girls and women who are thinner and more stylish-looking than I am. I've been trying to lose weight for a long time now and have made modest progress, but still I'm not where I want to be. There's a pang of admiration, but it's a little uncomfortable because of the distance I see between where I am now weight-wise and where I want to be, and these women are reminding me of it. Secondly, they're more stylish, maybe have more money, probably a more varied wardrobe than I - all things I want. I feel envy - unpleasantness. But it's not extreme and passes quickly. I still know I'm a valuable person, regardless of how well I stack up. But I admire and envy these women regardless.

[Edit] I don't think there's a huge line between admiration and envy. Perhaps you could say that admiration is secure, whereas envy can range from slightly less secure to very, very insecure.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Um, no, by no means is jealousy proof of love.

There are those who feel jealousy regarding their lovers for whom they do not love.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Nope, one can feel jealous without feeling envious.

JEALOUSY definition | Dictionary.com

ENVY definition | Dictionary.com
    Yeah, envy means you desire something someone else has. Jealousy is more about resentment, apprehension, guarding your rivals....

To most people however, the terms are synonymous.