First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Well, I hardly believe the definition of an "NT" is a person who is compelled to make supid "jokes" that people never found funny the first hundred or so times they read them or heard them said. If you think so, then that's too bad. Discuss that with the other NTs who perhaps don't share your viewpoint.

Note that I didn't say "don't be witty". I said that I find this particular type of backhanded compliment humor not all witty, and that hearing type-related insults over and over is tiresome rather than amusing. And by the way, I fully predicted that anyone who thinks offensive type-related comments are fun to dish out would just get defensive. How very predictable.

Sarah
    This whole thread is about you being emotional and reactive over nothing. Why creating so much mess without a reason? Can't we just get along, with all our jokes of bad taste?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INXP

I'm stupid. You are a fine teacher, Sarah.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    This whole thread is about you being emotional and reactive over nothing. Why creating so much mess without a reason? Can't we just get along, with all our jokes of bad taste?

Dadadada... what'd I say? Predictable response. Predicatable response.

*long drawn out sigh*

I shouldn't have bothered.

Sarah

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm a bit woozy right now, I just woke up from an unscheduled nap (you see, I'm a frickin lazy SP who never gets anything done but lying around so sometimes I doze off) but I wanted to say that Sarah is a pretty good interesting topic-starter.

FOR A SENSOR.

Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTJ

I’ve probably lived a sheltered life and this group may be the Real World, for all I know, but sometimes reading posts here can feel as if I’ve walked into the wrong sort of party. I know most of us pay lip service to the idea that all types are equally as valuable, and yet, I can’t log in without noticing somebody jokingly belittle everyone of a particular type in general or a pattern of type preferences. It’s possible that I was raised to believe that the best jokes are the self-deprecating kind, and this is the sort I prefer, but it seems to me that whether or not your comments are perceived as funny or annoying depends a lot on the life experiences and beliefs of your audience. It pays to care about the impact you’re having on others.

For example, I’m really tired of hearing people make lame jokes to me via comments or private email to the effect that I’m “all right for a Sensor (or Feeler)”, or that “despite my being a Sensor/Feeler, I (surprisingly) have a point.” I wonder if the people who dish out backhanded compliments or insult in jest like that may not realize that their humor is (a) not original, and (b) about as irritating as nails scratching a chalkboard. The only reaction you’re likely to get from me or others who feel the same way is a long drawn-out sigh.

I don’t usually experience my type preferences as limitations, but on the occasions when I do, then yeah, I find talking about myself in a self-deprecating way funny. And like most people, I find other people’s self-deprecating comments funny, as long as I know they don’t really think that badly of themselves But if people point out to me how I’ve failed to Be Just Like Them, it doesn’t strike me as funny. It actually makes me wonder whether their mind is capable of being flexible, or if they are “married” to their negative beliefs. (My hubby says that “pre-cognitive commitment” is the technical term for that. I love being married to a teacher.)

May I propose something, for those who are inclined to bash other people’s type preferences for fun? Before dashing something off impulsively and hitting the send button (yeah, the irony of an SP asking people to be less impulsive isn’t lost on me), could you ask yourself:

• What sort of impact is my “joke” or “harmless insult” likely to have on the recipient?
    • Has the other person heard that “joke” millions of times before?
    • Is that person likely to find “jokes” like the one I’m dying to post amusing or annoying?

I wasn't sure if this was the right place for this request. And yes I realize I'm leaving myself wide open for people who think I'm "hypersenstive" to tell me that if I can't play hardball with the tough guys, I should just go away.

Sarah
    ISFP
    Coincidentally enough, I've heard of the same concern from an ISFP on another board related to MBTI.

Some types (NTs for example) have a rougher humor than do other types (NFs for example), but just because it's rougher, doesn't mean it's intended to be malicious. Different types express themselves in different ways, and that's kind of what the study of Myers Briggs is all about.

Having said that, there are people who think that their type is "superior" to other types. Two most common explainations for that are: 1) the person has a very rudimentary (misguided?) knowledge of MBTI, and thinks in very crude terms such as only NTs are capable of strategy, or only SPs are capable of being good athletes, etc; or 2) an insecure person who has no personal accomplishments to show for, views being of certain type as an achievement of its own, in order to supplement for his otherwise low self esteem.

Or sometimes people are just shitty at making jokes - they say something that they think is funny, but nobody thinks it is, so people wonder if they were being serious. That of course, does not apply to me, because my humor is very refined and universally understood. Those who pretend not to get my jokes are just being haters.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    That of course, does not apply to me, because my humor is very refined and universally understood. Those who pretend not to get my jokes are just being haters.
    Yeah...dude, I totally relate. I mean, my jokes are even FUNNIER than I think they are!
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTP

So you're saying I shouldn't even bother to have written this, because people are so predictable that they'll just inevitably defend themselves and their behavior rather than ask themselves if it's really worthwhile, or if it's really making the kind of impact they think it is?

I really thought better of people here, but .. oh well.

Sarah
    Well... I think you may have a point, but I also think you're overreacting. What I don't understand is, that if you see a flaw in your type, why can only those of your type joke about that?
    Too much F for me to handle, sorry.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    Well... I think you may have a point, but I also think you're overreacting. What I don't understand is, that if you see a flaw in your type, why can only those of your type joke about that?
    Too much F for me to handle, sorry.
    I think she's talking quantity of jokes. Like I'd bet she could do a mathematical ratio of reps related to joking about her SFness and I'd bet you'd be very surprised.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Yeah...dude, I totally relate. I mean, my jokes are even FUNNIER than I think they are!
    Its true, nobody appreciates your humor like you do.

MBTI
    ENFJ

• Has the other person heard that “joke” millions of times before?
    Eh, I suppose there's a point about this.

I get sick of hearing the same jokes over and over again, too. It's just boring.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge