User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Identity

  1. #11

    Default

    In general I don't identify with any groups. However I do define myself with words like "artist" or "INTP", and those are terms that a large group of people can also use to define themselves...in their own subjective way.
    But I don't feel that any organized group(s) geared for a specific purpose could identify me.
    Last edited by kaboom; 11-08-2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: typos...half asleep

  2. #12
    Fight For Freedom FFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaboom View Post
    In general I don't identify with any groups. However I do define myself with words like "artist" or "INTP", and those are terms that a large group of people can also use to define themselves...in their own subjective way.
    But I don't feel that any organized group(s) geared for a specific purpose could identify me.
    It doesn't have to be an organized group. If you ran into another artist, wouldn't you suddenly feel like you two have something in common? Or maybe you'd have to investigate first to find out what kind of artist before you felt like that. If you and someone else are similar kinds of artists, then you two would have stuff to talk about.

    If I ran into an artist it would be insignificant to me because I hate art. I play music and more specifically I play rock/metal on a guitar. If I run into someone who does the same or plays the same music on another instrument, it's an instant connection former. That also gives us the potential to be playing music together.

  3. #13
    Resident Snot-Nose GZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    The middle-class youth of today.


    I'm not in any particular group, but I sort of relate to the smart kids who hate school and become stoners instead, although I myself am not a stoner. I'm sort of on the fringe of that group because some of my friends are and some arn't, and I tend to get along with them and enjoy sharing perspectives with them a lot, even if I don't agree with them about some of the more dilusional mushroom-tripping thoughts about aliens and stuff. I guess this isn't part of my identity so much.

    I guess my identity doesn't have that much to do with groups, although sometimes I wish I was part of a more specific group, but at the same time their is an advantage in being open to the ideas from all the groups without having to stick to one.

    So I guess the only group I identify with is middle class youth -a group that as a whole feels alienated from every other group, hahahahaha.

  4. #14
    Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Hm, Groups...I never was in any, because I was "always too weird for Every1". No matter what it was. So, no Influence from there. But I was fine with it, really. Especially since some Groups were just plain stupid (like drink until you puke or whatever. Dun see any Sense in that).

    Today I'd say I belong to the INTJ at least, even tho I am still pretty off for them I guess. I just always am.
    Oh and I strongly agree to this Part of LucrativeSids Entry
    (..)people who are intellectuals/seekers/creators. I feel a sense of connection with those people, even if I don't know them personally.(..)
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

    Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

    ESTP? o.O

  5. #15
    Fight For Freedom FFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9
    Posts
    691

    Default

    I'd like to feel a connection to other people that believe in Jesus, but so many of them are caught up in their stupid Law/rule following and religion that it's like were in two totally different worlds.

  6. #16
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Nothing that is outside of me forms any part of my identity.
    Maybe that's why I don't like the idea of belonging to groups or organisations.

    I would have expected this to be common for introverts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Dwigie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    658

    Default

    I think you need to be a tad more specific by group. Social group?Age group?Ethnic group?
    There's different criteria for groups.
    Nothing that is outside of me forms any part of my identity
    I don't agree with that at all. We are influenced by our environment, we're not entirely defined by it but we can't deny the varying degree of influence it has on people.
    As a matter of fact here's an example, embracing individualism is common practice in Western culture and isn't where I come from.
    Does "Do your own thing!" ring a bell to you? To not conform and rebel is the norm.
    Look at universities, they want to know what sets you apart from the rest and what makes you unique, what makes you stand out as an individual.
    Nobody would even think of asking this to a student where I come from and maybe even in other cultures.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

  8. #18
    Senior Member Wade Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Heh, reminds me of that line from Invisible Monsters "Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody Ive ever known."

    I agree with you. To a degree we cannot BE anything if there is nothing to BE from.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie View Post
    I think you need to be a tad more specific by group. Social group?Age group?Ethnic group?
    There's different criteria for groups.
    Nothing that is outside of me forms any part of my identity
    I don't agree with that at all. We are influenced by our environment, we're not entirely defined by it but we can't deny the varying degree of influence it has on people.
    As a matter of fact here's an example, embracing individualism is common practice in Western culture and isn't where I come from.
    Does "Do your own thing!" ring a bell to you? To not conform and rebel is the norm.
    Look at universities, they want to know what sets you apart from the rest and what makes you unique, what makes you stand out as an individual.
    Nobody would even think of asking this to a student where I come from and maybe even in other cultures.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

  9. #19
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie View Post
    I think you need to be a tad more specific by group. Social group?Age group?Ethnic group?
    There's different criteria for groups.
    Nothing that is outside of me forms any part of my identity
    I don't agree with that at all. We are influenced by our environment, we're not entirely defined by it but we can't deny the varying degree of influence it has on people.
    As a matter of fact here's an example, embracing individualism is common practice in Western culture and isn't where I come from.
    Does "Do your own thing!" ring a bell to you? To not conform and rebel is the norm.
    Look at universities, they want to know what sets you apart from the rest and what makes you unique, what makes you stand out as an individual.
    Nobody would even think of asking this to a student where I come from and maybe even in other cultures.
    Naturally, environment shapes identity. But once you have absorbed those influences you make them your own. I don't identify with any 'groups' on a conscious level, that is what I meant to say, in response to the OP.

    I wasn't raised to believe in individualism (quite the reverse), but I never rebelled either. I don't embrace Western culture. I really don't feel that I belong to anything outside of myself. That is to say, the world could change around me, but it wouldn't change my identity, because I am not invested in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Dwigie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Naturally, environment shapes identity. But once you have absorbed those influences you make them your own.
    That's where we have a different point of view then. Makes sense now. If it came from outside to me it's not mine even if I use it, I feel that it's been borrowed. I disassociate lot from things and people in general.
    I don't identify with any 'groups' on a conscious level, that is what I meant to say, in response to the OP.
    Understood.

    I wasn't raised to believe in individualism (quite the reverse), but I never rebelled either.
    I don't rebel either, I just watch it's cozy there.
    I don't embrace Western culture.
    Me neither..bad experiences with many aspects of it.
    I really don't feel that I belong to anything outside of myself.
    I do the confused and lost "My dad works at the UN kids".Quite frequent cultural identity loss in here.We feel like we're floating about in the world.
    That is to say, the world could change around me, but it wouldn't change my identity, because I am not invested in the world.
    So what defines your identity in your opinion?Yourself?Can you really be who you want to be in a heartbeat?
    (Not trying to be annoying by nagging with questions I just wanna know because your point of view seems interesting)
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

Similar Threads

  1. Identical Types Amongst Siblings and/or Offspring?
    By FrisbeeLad in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 07:30 PM
  2. Varied Identities
    By Colors in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 02:19 AM
  3. [NT] Do you agree: NT searches for identity? How alike or different from NF's?
    By Afkan in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 05:24 PM
  4. Cultural/ethnic identity and psychology
    By GZA in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 10:42 AM
  5. delusional self-identity
    By Grayscale in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 03:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO