123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default What does it mean if you don't remember your dreams (while asleep)?

What do you think it means from a cognitive standpoint (not necessarily Jung) when people don't remember their dreams while asleep?

Only very rarely do I remember the images in my dreams. Which got me thinking. What do you think is cognitively going on with people who don't remember their dreams? Do you think that their inner world is a vacuum?

Do you have a bad memory for your dreams?

Try to avoid MBTI or Jung related terms. I want to try and steer away from relations to that for purposes of this topic.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Psychosis? No, I doubt it relates to much. I rarely remembered them when I was younger, but today it seems like I always wake up remembering a dream.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Do you have any theories as to why some people don't remember their dreams?

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'm pretty sure people don't remember dreams if they don't wake up during a certain part of their sleep cycle... so it's not really psychosis or anything. It's just when you wake up. Usually I get more dreams when I'm stressed out and don't sleep so much, so I don't know if not remembering dreams is so much of a problem...

One weird thing that I remember though is that I might fall asleep for maybe two or three minutes during class if I'm tired enough, and I'll get a few blips of dreams. Not a whole lot that I can remember... but there was definitely something there.

Then again, this is from the same person who once got sleep paralysis right in the middle of class, LOL.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

ThatGirl

depends on my first thought when I wake up

If I automatically think of the dream I will remember it, if half and half I will remember glimpses, if I think about something else and then try to remember I cant

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    depends on my first thought when I wake up

If I automatically think of the dream I will remember it, if half and half I will remember glimpses, if I think about something else and then try to remember I cant
    So you normally remember the dreams after waking up? I'm confused by your wording here.

You say "if you think of the dream," so the way you word it, it seems like you can remember them after you wake up.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    What do you think it means from a cognitive standpoint (not necessarily Jung) when people don't remember their dreams while asleep?

Only very rarely do I remember the images in my dreams. Which got me thinking. What do you think is cognitively going on with people who don't remember their dreams? Do you think that their inner world is a vacuum?

Do you have a bad memory for your dreams?

Try to avoid MBTI or Jung related terms. I want to try and steer away from relations to that for purposes of this topic.
    I don't think it means anything significant that you can't remember you dreams.
    Your dreams are supposed to be your emotions working themselves out.
    Lots of times my dreams are a reflection of how I'm feeling at that time.

Some people say they don't dream - because they don't remember their dreams - but I have heard psychologists say that if you didn't dream, you would become psychotic - as in "lose touch with reality".

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Oh great, a Dream-Thread! =)

I do remember my Dreams. I often have more than just one each Night, mostly even all chaotic Things happening too. When I wake up I can remember very clearly. Everything. And the weird Thing is, that I can even still remember them Months after.
    But so far I have no Theories on why and how.
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Like Haphazard says, it doesn't mean much. Just that you don't wake up during REM. And you probably have a nicely worked out sleep schedule and aren't sleep deprived. If you really want to remember your dreams, it's helpful to take out a minute or two just after you wake up to jot down anything you remember. Even writing down a few words or impressions will start to greatly improve your memory of your dreams. (I did it as an assignment for a Psychology course.)

ThatGirl

I thought that was a typo. Remember a dream while sleeping, like a continuation or manipulation of thought?

This I also do, essentially I usually push my mind in my dreams the same way I push my thought process when I am awake.