User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What does it mean if you don't remember your dreams (while asleep)?

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Even writing down a few words or impressions will start to greatly improve your memory of your dreams. (I did it as an assignment for a Psychology course.)
    I am the same way with dreams, I don't remember most of them but I catch vague glimpses of some of them in my waking periods. However, if I jot down a few words describing the conscious memory of my dream at the moment I wake up (on a notepad next to my bed) it almost always improves my recollection--of that dream, anyway.

A few words act as a mental "index" to the dream, and re-reading them allows me to recall images/impressions and feelings within a certain time window around that point--usually can't remember anything before a certain point.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    What do you think it means from a cognitive standpoint (not necessarily Jung) when people don't remember their dreams while asleep?

Only very rarely do I remember the images in my dreams. Which got me thinking. What do you think is cognitively going on with people who don't remember their dreams? Do you think that their inner world is a vacuum?

Do you have a bad memory for your dreams?

Try to avoid MBTI or Jung related terms. I want to try and steer away from relations to that for purposes of this topic.
    I'm intrigued. Any way to maybe elaborate a bit more specific. Possible senerio

Saint Nicololololas Array The Ü™'s Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't understand what you want me to elaborate on.

ThatGirl

Well you say remember their dreams while they are sleeping. Remember implys from a past stand point. So clarifying a continuation of thought or the visiting or reassociation of a prior dream during a future sleep period. Which I understand and am able to participate in. Although from what I hear that is not the norm and most people cannot control their thoughts when in the sleep pattern. Which has me intrigured as you put the general side of your OP as the analytical focus. Instead of focusing on the ability to as more of a mystery. Just find it interesting and outside of the normal chronological thought process.

Saint Nicololololas Array The Ü™'s Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I merely put the "while asleep" part in to differentiate dreams from aspirations so that people would read the thread.

ThatGirl

oops

So you normally remember the dreams after waking up? I'm confused by your wording here.

You say "if you think of the dream," so the way you word it, it seems like you can remember them after you wake up.

I guess that is what confused me then, no big deal

I generally remember my dreams...the days I don't remember, I seem to not have woken up of my own accord-- or rather, I've been unexpectedly pulled from sleep before I mean to wake up. Sometimes, if I can fall back to sleep after being interrupted, the dream will resume and I'll recall it in better detail when I wake up when I mean to. When I say "unexpectedly pulled from sleep", I don't mean by my alarm [because my body is "programmed" to wake up by the time I set it for-- sometimes I'll even get up a few minutes before because I can tell it's coming close to time for me to get up]-- but say from a loud noise or some kind of internal/external disturbance...could be just me, though. Like everyone else has been saying, it may just have to do with sleep cycle..
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

I also don't remember my dreams on a regular basis. Typically the only time I do is when I sleep in too late, then my dreams kind of get weird. I'm a morning person so when I sleep past 10 or 11 my body starts acting weird. I wake up sweating and usually from an awkward, nonsensical dream that sticks in my memory.

But yeah, it's a rare occasion that I remember my dreams. It's strange because I used to dream all the time.

I also do this thing where I lay down and close my eyes, but I do not sleep. I just think. Usually my thoughts taper off into a "dreamlike" state and I eventually snap back into being awake. Some of my most brilliant ideas come from this "fake sleeping" (as I call it).

Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Then again, this is from the same person who once got sleep paralysis right in the middle of class, LOL.
    That's scary.

People tell me that I make weird movements and noises when I'm in sleep paralysis, so I wonder what your class thought.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    What do you think it means from a cognitive standpoint (not necessarily Jung) when people don't remember their dreams while asleep?

Only very rarely do I remember the images in my dreams. Which got me thinking. What do you think is cognitively going on with people who don't remember their dreams? Do you think that their inner world is a vacuum?

Do you have a bad memory for your dreams?

Try to avoid MBTI or Jung related terms. I want to try and steer away from relations to that for purposes of this topic.
    This is just anecdotal, so don't know how valuable it is. I was a vivid dreamer all my life (e.g., can *still* remember certain dreams from as early as age five) until I suffered a significant brain injury to the right hemisphere. For the next fifteen years I couldn't remember *any* dreams. In the beginning, I had major cognitive deficits as a result of the injury, but even after recovering almost all of my cognitive function, still no dreams (that I remembered). Then a couple years ago I changed medications for a condition that has nothing to do with the brain injury and bingo! my ability to remember my dreams returned unimpaired.

Go figure.
    It's a blessing...and a curse.

Originally Posted by Anja
    I don't have room for shame in my life.

INFJ, 4w5 sx