User Tag List

123 Last

Default Can you think inside a box?

I was doing some thinking and concluded that I can't think inside a box.

Usually people say that people should take a look at the big picture more often. But I am doing it all the time.

I have to put everything in cosmic context and see how it reacts with other things. As a person I think that nothing can't be fully comprehended without understanding everything. Since everything is/was connected.

If I need to narrow my vision I will not look at cosmic context I will look at global context.
    Plus there is a factor of going billions of years up and down every single day. (in my mind)

I can try but I simply can't see things as "they are".

Comments?

MBTI
    INTP

If I do I need to first define the box. I usually don't take the box at face value, I need to see a need for it. If there is a lot of information contained in the box before hand then it's easier to adjust *within*, in that moderately rare case I am content.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Can you think inside a box?
    There is no box.

....more seriously, I can easily "create a box" in my head based on the limitations of the situation, it's basically the same skill as "looking at something through someone else's eyes." I anticipate their assumptions, perspective, education, life experience, whatever else, then climb in the box and look at the world their way.

But really, there is no box.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I was in the military "box" for so many years that I learned to think inside it. Just turn off all your imagination and "what if" scenarios. Go exclusively by the information that is at hand and don't consider any leaps of intuition. That usually produces a cookie-cutter "acceptable" solution. If all else fails, just do what has always been done.

MBTI
    INTJ

Usually people say that people should take a look at the big picture more often. But I am doing it all the time.

I have to put everything in cosmic context and see how it reacts with other things. As a person I think that nothing can't be fully comprehended without understanding everything. Since everything is/was connected.

If I need to narrow my vision I will not look at cosmic context I will look at global context.
    Plus there is a factor of going billions of years up and down every single day. (in my mind)

Comments?
    Not only can I think inside a box, I think better, inside a box.
    If I have no box, I can't keep my thoughts straight.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Just turn off all your imagination and "what if" scenarios. Go exclusively by the information that is at hand and don't consider any leaps of intuition. That usually produces a cookie-cutter "acceptable" solution. If all else fails, just do what has always been done.
    That's how I wrote "A" papers in English class. Quite a painful experience. Quite. My teachers were almost all SJ it seems, absolutely dreadful. The last one was ENFJ, I believe, and what a relief that was. She understood about 90% more of my intent. Show me an INTP English teacher though, and I'll show you the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

The thing is, A.O., people who actually think outside the box usually don't use phrases like "Think outside the box!" It is a lie used by conventional thinkers. A lie in the sense that they don't want you to think outside the box, EVER, but it makes them feel smart to say it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

In a weird sort of way, external parameters allow room for innovation -- like working within the limits. Noting the rules and then noticing what isn't stated in the rules. Not really cheating, but not really following the rules, either. It changes outlooks.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Comments?
    As wildcat will say,

What's in a box?
    The area enclosed in a two dimensional square? The volume enclosed within a cube?
    What are the boundaries? The lines?
    No lines. Only what's imagined.
    The box is arbitrary.

The "box" is as large or as tiny as you draw it. If you really wanted to, you can define your mind as the box. It's all relative...

All the "box" provide is a point of reference. Some people feel better having landmarks to orientate themselves on a map. You rather use a gyroscope... There's nothing wrong with either method. Both works just fine.

MBTI
    ENFJ

There are boxes?

I guess I never got the memo... as usual. Ugh.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I used to play in boxes when I was little.

One day, I might even sleep in one.