User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default Boredom and its Discontents

I recently read an interesting essay by Adam Phillips, "On Being Bored".
    It made me wonder how boredom might relate to type. Do you think boredom is a symptom of poverty of imagination? Of inactivity? Or frustration with reality?
    Are you bored often? Are you more bored by having a lot of (boring) stuff to do, or not enough? How does it manifest itself? And how do you overcome it - do you use distraction techniques? Or do you focus on deeper issues?

Does boredom serve a purpose, like depression - can it make us question the pattern and progress of our lives to-date?
    Does it make us shake ourselves out of a rut? What other purpose might it serve?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Since I am strong J am almost never bored. In case that there is nothing to do I can always turn to my inner world and things I am interested in.

Many people think that I am bored to the death in my life since I am very introverted but the truth is totally oppostite.

I mean, it is hard to be bored if you can isolate yourself from others for 3 months and be totally OK with it. (this is how I used to spent my summertimes)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Since I am strong J am almost never bored. In case that there is nothing to do I can always turn to my inner world and things I am interested in.

Many people think that I am bored to the death in my life since I am very introverted but the truth is totally oppostite.

I mean, it is hard to be bored if you can isolate yourself from others for 3 months and be totally OK with it. (this is how I used to spent my summertimes)
    So your assertion is that Js are less bored than Ps?

Why is that?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think P's tend to be less bored, but only because we tend to tap out from things we find boring or not fun faster than J's.

J's might think they are less bored, but they're boring the hell out of us!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i've never been so freakin bored in all my life!!

MBTI
    ESTJ

Usually the general idea is I am the least bored when I have important things to be doing. Mind you, I'm not doing those important things, I'm doing something else.... because somehow everything seems interesting compared to an 11 page essay for writing class.

But then when I don't have those things to do I can get bored. But since I've started college I've rarely been bored...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

@ea Please expand. (see questions in OP)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i think it serves a purpose..yes...i think i've always had a lot of people around and always had something to do...and now i don't...so i'm looking inward...which lead me here...and trying to sort things out...understand people...myself....fix the broken bits

but...also accepting that i need people...it's almost as if life isn't really happening without them...and why is that?? and how do i feel about that??

i can't tell if that's just useless dribble...did it answer the question?

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    So your assertion is that Js are less bored than Ps?

Why is that?
    Not exactly, there are bored people on both sides.
    But strong J can have easy time in many situations since it will usually find something to do.

In my case I have a lot to study + time for classes. But when I am resting I am once again thinkng.What I am doing is using my knowledge on things that are from everyday life. So that I can see what will happen.
    What I want to say is that strong J can make you obsessive(in a good way) so you will always have something to do.

What I have seen in life is that Ps can insist on spontaneity, what can lead to scenario that they find themselfs in situation in which they don't want to be and they get bored because of that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    i think it serves a purpose..yes...i think i've always had a lot of people around and always had something to do...and now i don't...so i'm looking inward...which lead me here...and trying to sort things out...understand people...myself....fix the broken bits

but...also accepting that i need people...it's almost as if life isn't really happening without them...and why is that?? and how do i feel about that??

i can't tell if that's just useless dribble...did it answer the question?
    Yes, thank you.
    So what is boring for you is not being distracted by others? How do you think you will fix this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Not exactly, there are bored people on both sides.
    But strong J can have easy time in many situations since it will usually find something to do.

In my case I have a lot to study + time for classes. But when I am resting I am once again thinkng.What I am doing is using my knowledge on things that are from everyday life. So that I can see what will happen.
    What I want to say is that strong J can make you obsessive(in a good way) so you will always have something to do.

What I have seen in life is that Ps can insist on spontaneity, what can lead to scenario that they find themselfs in situation in which they don't want to be and they get bored because of that.
    Don't you get bored when you have things to do? I am least bored when I have nothing to do, because I can do what I like. Boring things bore me.