User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Boredom and its Discontents

5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Is boredom more rampant in society now compared to the past? Is it because we have made activities a little too convenient?
    I don't know how one would measure that.
    We do tend to value less those things that come too easily.

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    I think I should be doing interesting stuff all the time, I should be moving from place to place, I should be seeing new people and then I wouldn't be bored (but eventually I would be very tired of interested things).
    So you recognize the difference between distracting yourself from boredom and resolving the crisis? Or are you saying that all routine inevitably leads to boredom?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

I think a few different laws of nature come into play here. If we are not growing, then we are dying. The more we learn, the more we are able to learn. An object at rest stays at rest until some force acts upon it.

Putting these things together:

People tent to need some form of motivation to act. When we lose motivation, our minds tend to stagnate. When our brains realize the lack of motivation, it alerts us in the form of feeling unstimulated or unmotivated to concentrate. I believe that the amount of boredom one experiences is related to how stimuli are organized in the brain. For example, as mentioned above, some people tend to always have some inputs readily available to analyze or mentally catalog. In many ways, what we value affects how bored we feel. More imaginative people may have more to preoccupy their minds; whereas more here-and-now people may find less stimuli to feed a hungry mind. Although, for the sensing people, their mental alertness would probably count for a lot.
    Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart. -- Confucius

Senior Member Array alcea rosea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    So you recognize the difference between distracting yourself from boredom and resolving the crisis? Or are you saying that all routine inevitably leads to boredom?
    I'm really saying that. So, in my case, routine inevitably leads to boredom.

Senior Member Array fleurdujour's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Since I am strong J am almost never bored. In case that there is nothing to do I can always turn to my inner world and things I am interested in.

Many people think that I am bored to the death in my life since I am very introverted but the truth is totally oppostite.

I mean, it is hard to be bored if you can isolate yourself from others for 3 months and be totally OK with it. (this is how I used to spent my summertimes)

I'm a relatively strong J as well and was almost never bored, but lately am feeling quite bored (but at the same time feeling as though there is never enough time to do everything I want to do--typical J thing). I'm guessing I'm feeling so bored at this point though because I'm feeling pretty disillusioned with my life (lack of fulfillment) and am also currently surrounded by very S things, which is killing my N (and the S mundane, detail-oriented stuff is boring the hell out of me).

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    I recently read an interesting essay by Adam Phillips, "On Being Bored".
    It made me wonder how boredom might relate to type. Do you think boredom is a symptom of poverty of imagination? Of inactivity? Or frustration with reality?
    Are you bored often? Are you more bored by having a lot of (boring) stuff to do, or not enough? How does it manifest itself? And how do you overcome it - do you use distraction techniques? Or do you focus on deeper issues?

Does boredom serve a purpose, like depression - can it make us question the pattern and progress of our lives to-date?
    Does it make us shake ourselves out of a rut? What other purpose might it serve?
    Yes I think boredom is a lack of imagination, creativity, an ability to change perspectives mentally and create your own opportunities. It does seem to me, if it is a persistant feeling, an indication of depression of some sort. Consistent feelings of boredom will eventually lead to depression. When I feel a hint of it I am encouraged to find interest in something and usually it works.

Usually I get bored with the outside world, e.g. if I'm stuck in some situation I can't escape for the time being. If I let myself admit I'm bored, it only makes the situation worse. So I either escape inwards and find something interesting within my mind, or see if there's anything I can focus on externally that's more interesting than the current situation. Sometimes you may see me staring intently at a light fixture as a result.

I think it's a great push, to avoid boredom, ennui, but to fall into it is dreadful.