• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fake it til you make it

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
As per title, "Fake it til you make it". Yay or nay?

Why shouldn't you try to get rid of some of your bad traits like shyness and neuroticism by pretending to be otherwise? Mind over matter? Fool others, fool yourself? Is there anything wrong with that?

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, 'cos all it is, is pretending. You're gonna have to own up to the truth eventually and that part usually never ends well.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm beginning to think more and more that this forever working on things and trying to change, is stupid. I'm not talking about really ugly traits. More like the things you mentioned, like shyness and social awkwardness and what not. JUST BE AND LET BE!

And the things that are "expected" to be worked on, are often things associated with introversion. Come again? How often do you see an extrovert trying to work on being quieter and just a tad more timid and maybe spend a few extra hours in his room?

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Hm, isn't that what Everyone of us has to do anyways Sometimes? Only think about Work or when with Friends or Family. It could be for many different Reasons like - for Example - that you don't want them to worry about you, so you make yourself look like you are completely fine, but in Reality you are not etc.

Me myself I try to keep it as seldom as possible tho. But I guess Everyone has to deal with the Masquerade. :shock:

T

ThatGirl

Why shouldn't you try to get rid of some of your bad traits like shyness and neuroticism by pretending to be otherwise? Mind over matter? Fool others, fool yourself? Is there anything wrong with that?

I see this post as horribly immature.

There is no fooling in self awareness and improvement.

Only in perception.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I promote the combination of self-control and awareness, but never faking. Faking doesn't help you grow.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Well, 'cos all it is, is pretending. You're gonna have to own up to the truth eventually and that part usually never ends well.
What is the truth? Whatever you make it to be. Most of it are skills that you can learn. You can't always go around using "I'm shy" as an excuse.

I'm beginning to think more and more that this forever working on things and trying to change, is stupid. I'm not talking about really ugly traits. More like the things you mentioned, like shyness and social awkwardness and what not. JUST BE AND LET BE!

And the things that are "expected" to be worked on, are often things associated with introversion. Come again? How often do you see an extrovert trying to work on being quieter and just a tad more timid and maybe spend a few extra hours in his room?
Perhaps they're "expected" to be worked on because they're useful things to have? How many missed opportunities are there simply because you're too shy to make yourself be known?

Hm, isn't that what Everyone of us has to do anyways Sometimes? Only think about Work or when with Friends or Family. It could be for many different Reasons like - for Example - that you don't want them to worry about you, so you make yourself look like you are completely fine, but in Reality you are not etc.

Me myself I try to keep it as seldom as possible tho. But I guess Everyone has to deal with the Masquerade. :shock:
*nods* In this case you're doing it for the benefit of others. Sometimes I do that too. Do you think it has any negative impact on you?

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
*nods* In this case you're doing it for the benefit of others. Sometimes I do that too. Do you think it has any negative impact on you?
Well uhm...it can become a "bad Habit", meaning if you don't pay Attention it can get "stuck", so you always act Different for Others, which is NOT good. So it starts with you wanting to "protect Others" or however you wanna call it, and it can end with "Others decide about your favorite Food". Then Somewhen you realize...you have no freaking Idea who you are anymore.
That's why I keep it down. But Sometimes you just have to do the Mask-Thing. Especially if it is about Stuff like - for Example - being honest to Others. I mean I always am, but Sometimes I had to "not tell it all" in Order to not hurt the other Person, because if I did, I would have known that they would have gone suicidal on me. And that's sure the least Thing you want. :shock:

There's seriously just a very thin Path in between, just like with Everything else in Life. It's always the Dosis that makes the Difference.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
What is the truth? Whatever you make it to be. Most of it are skills that you can learn. You can't always go around using "I'm shy" as an excuse.

Perhaps they're "expected" to be worked on because they're useful things to have? How many missed opportunities are there simply because you're too shy to make yourself be known?

Yes, I suppose...

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What if, after a while, the faking becomes sincere? You convince yourself that that's how you are, and you can't tell the difference. Sound possible? (Nightning, is that related to what you're saying?)

Last edited:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I see this post as horribly immature.

There is no fooling in self awareness and improvement.

Only in perception.

On the contrary... I selected the title and keywords to elicit responses.

What I meant by fooling is relating to perception. In some cases, perception is everything. What starts out as an act becomes genuine.

An example:
Pretend you're a shy person that hates public speaking. However presentation skills are virtually a must-have if you want that senior management position. What do you do? You pretend you're okay with everything. Step in front of the investors and make your speech.

Yes, it's an act. But your audience is expecting you to sell stuff to them. Because of their expectations, they didn't see it as "fake" because it goes with the position.

A positive response (or at least not a negative one). You see that perhaps your initial fear is an overreaction. You go out there and make some more speeches. Practice makes perfect.

It doesn't really change your base nature as an introvert... so what's wrong with "faking"?

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP

Truth is accepting who you are, shortcomings and all. The willingness to overcome shortcomings is up to the individual, though these things are also what make us human after all.

If someone wants to overcome their shyness, it has to be a genuine evolution. They have to be willing to put in the sacrifice and effort to grow. If someone is just pretending not to be shy in a situation, they're going to go right back to where they were afterwards and soon their entire being is a lie, because they're not acting to grow as a person, but just to accommodate the situation they find themself in.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Well uhm...it can become a "bad Habit", meaning if you don't pay Attention it can get "stuck", so you always act Different for Others, which is NOT good. So it starts with you wanting to "protect Others" or however you wanna call it, and it can end with "Others decide about your favorite Food". Then Somewhen you realize...you have no freaking Idea who you are anymore.
That's why I keep it down. But Sometimes you just have to do the Mask-Thing. Especially if it is about Stuff like - for Example - being honest to Others. I mean I always am, but Sometimes I had to "not tell it all" in Order to not hurt the other Person, because if I did, I would have known that they would have gone suicidal on me. And that's sure the least Thing you want. :shock:

There's seriously just a very thin Path in between, just like with Everything else in Life. It's always the Dosis that makes the Difference.
Yes yes. Loss of self amidst the acting. Everything must be balanced. For their wellbeing and yours.

I think I should pose silly comments more often. This is great! Thanks!

What if, after a while, the faking becomes sincere? You convince yourself that that's how you are, and you can't tell the difference. Sound possible? (Nightning, is that related to what you're saying?)
*big thumbs up* Exactly what I'm getting at! :nice:

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
"Faking" is a very valuable and necessary thing to do in a number of situations because it gives you the confidence in your actions. If you feel good about something or feel you are likely to succeed the steadiness and forcefulness will show in your thoughts and actions. Why do you hesitate, stumble, procrastinate when it comes to giving someone negative feedback, because it is an inherently negative thing(emotion wise), when you are celebrating something you are in a positive state therefore your actions and thoughts are a lot more clear, deliberate, and controlled.

Basically any professional who strives to succeed or excel and has to take in to account varying emotional states knows it is necessary to have a positive mindset before taking action, whether that is the case or not. There is a lot of evidence for this on a neurological level, psychological, anecdotal, experiential and so forth.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Of Course...you CAN use this Maskquing as a Way to do "Self-Therapy" too. It is like "Affirmations", which is an often used Tool in Spirituality and also Psychology. If done right you can "make yourself believe" that you CAN be open instead of shy or whatever and while living it you seriously help yourself. I kinda did that. I was so freaking shy and quiet, that you wouldn't notice me in a Room with you, so somewhen what I did was to just act like I was all open and extroverted and as you can clearly see it worked. :yes:
It's really just a Question on the Dosis, WHY you are doing it, HOW and for WHO. It can kill you, or heal, either one.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I've often felt that 'faking it til you make it' was necessary in tough situations. It's what gets you through. I don't see how acting more confident than you feel is necessarily a bad thing... I feel it's a challenge and that in the end it helps you become stronger and actually more confident. You can become who you pretend to be to some degree, so if you choose to pretend to be someone confident (or anything you would prefer), you'll adopt those characteristics and behaviours naturally after awhile. 'Fake it 'til you make it' doesn't mean you 'fake' your personality and that you become untrue to yourself and plastic or what not. It's just a method and a means of getting closer to something you want. It means you act with more strength then you feel you might actually have, in order to get to a point where you don't have to keep 'faking it', because you've 'made it', you've reached a point suitable for your own strength.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*big thumbs up* Exactly what I'm getting at! :nice:
Actually, your Post #11 led my doubts in the other direction... (along with the last several posts) I bow out!

Last edited:

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

Yes.

It is not pretending though.
It is about finding the extra key.
The key already in the keyboard.

What is the difference between a conman and a genuine actor on the stage?
The genuine actor finds the resource within.
The conman does not.

A part is a fragment in the whole?
The whole is a fragment in the part.

Only the party is inclusive.
The non party is exclusive.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Truth is accepting who you are, shortcomings and all. The willingness to overcome shortcomings is up to the individual, though these things are also what make us human after all.

If someone wants to overcome their shyness, it has to be a genuine evolution. They have to be willing to put in the sacrifice and effort to grow. If someone is just pretending not to be shy in a situation, they're going to go right back to where they were afterwards and soon their entire being is a lie, because they're not acting to grow as a person, but just to accommodate the situation they find themself in.

I don't understand. Is the effort puts in to "act out a role" not equated to a sacrifice in hopes of becoming better? The easiest way out is to do nothing... Doesn't the willingness to try "faking it" indicates desire for growth?

Perhaps you have a disagreement with my use of the word "fake".

Thank you everybody for your responses. I take it that most people agree with my statement despite the negative connotations placed upon the words. Now for the second portion of my inquiry...

*goes start a new thread*

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I am actually much happier, confident, and at ease with myself now that I no longer try to be someone I'm not. My mom was always of the opinion that I needed to be "fixed" somehow, and that I would never get anywhere in life if I didn't conform to that, even going so far as to say that I'll end up being a homeless bum. Her drilling that line of thinking into me for most of my entire life, rather than nurturing my natural strong points and being emotionally supportive, was very detrimental and caused a lot of problems for me and made things way more difficult than they should be. I tried my very best to change those areas she thought needed changing, but no matter what I did, it didn't work one bit, and it was extremely frustrating. During the past year or so I stopped trying to do that (especially now that I no longer live with my family), and only now have I finally been able to really improve as a person while still being myself at all times.

I just wanted to say that for some people, this really doesn't work.