User Tag List

123 Last

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Default Fake it til you make it

As per title, "Fake it til you make it". Yay or nay?

Why shouldn't you try to get rid of some of your bad traits like shyness and neuroticism by pretending to be otherwise? Mind over matter? Fool others, fool yourself? Is there anything wrong with that?

MBTI
    INTP

Well, 'cos all it is, is pretending. You're gonna have to own up to the truth eventually and that part usually never ends well.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

MBTI
    ISTJ

I'm beginning to think more and more that this forever working on things and trying to change, is stupid. I'm not talking about really ugly traits. More like the things you mentioned, like shyness and social awkwardness and what not. JUST BE AND LET BE!

And the things that are "expected" to be worked on, are often things associated with introversion. Come again? How often do you see an extrovert trying to work on being quieter and just a tad more timid and maybe spend a few extra hours in his room?
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Hm, isn't that what Everyone of us has to do anyways Sometimes? Only think about Work or when with Friends or Family. It could be for many different Reasons like - for Example - that you don't want them to worry about you, so you make yourself look like you are completely fine, but in Reality you are not etc.

Me myself I try to keep it as seldom as possible tho. But I guess Everyone has to deal with the Masquerade.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    As per title, "Fake it til you make it". Yay or nay?

Why shouldn't you try to get rid of some of your bad traits like shyness and neuroticism by pretending to be otherwise? Mind over matter? Fool others, fool yourself? Is there anything wrong with that?
    I see this post as horribly immature.

There is no fooling in self awareness and improvement.

Only in perception.

MBTI
    INFP

I promote the combination of self-control and awareness, but never faking. Faking doesn't help you grow.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Wilson View Post
    Well, 'cos all it is, is pretending. You're gonna have to own up to the truth eventually and that part usually never ends well.
    What is the truth? Whatever you make it to be. Most of it are skills that you can learn. You can't always go around using "I'm shy" as an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    I'm beginning to think more and more that this forever working on things and trying to change, is stupid. I'm not talking about really ugly traits. More like the things you mentioned, like shyness and social awkwardness and what not. JUST BE AND LET BE!

And the things that are "expected" to be worked on, are often things associated with introversion. Come again? How often do you see an extrovert trying to work on being quieter and just a tad more timid and maybe spend a few extra hours in his room?
    Perhaps they're "expected" to be worked on because they're useful things to have? How many missed opportunities are there simply because you're too shy to make yourself be known?

Quote Originally Posted by GargoylesLegacy View Post
    Hm, isn't that what Everyone of us has to do anyways Sometimes? Only think about Work or when with Friends or Family. It could be for many different Reasons like - for Example - that you don't want them to worry about you, so you make yourself look like you are completely fine, but in Reality you are not etc.

Me myself I try to keep it as seldom as possible tho. But I guess Everyone has to deal with the Masquerade.
    *nods* In this case you're doing it for the benefit of others. Sometimes I do that too. Do you think it has any negative impact on you?

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

*nods* In this case you're doing it for the benefit of others. Sometimes I do that too. Do you think it has any negative impact on you?
    Well uhm...it can become a "bad Habit", meaning if you don't pay Attention it can get "stuck", so you always act Different for Others, which is NOT good. So it starts with you wanting to "protect Others" or however you wanna call it, and it can end with "Others decide about your favorite Food". Then Somewhen you realize...you have no freaking Idea who you are anymore.
    That's why I keep it down. But Sometimes you just have to do the Mask-Thing. Especially if it is about Stuff like - for Example - being honest to Others. I mean I always am, but Sometimes I had to "not tell it all" in Order to not hurt the other Person, because if I did, I would have known that they would have gone suicidal on me. And that's sure the least Thing you want.

There's seriously just a very thin Path in between, just like with Everything else in Life. It's always the Dosis that makes the Difference.

MBTI
    ISTJ

What is the truth? Whatever you make it to be. Most of it are skills that you can learn. You can't always go around using "I'm shy" as an excuse.

Perhaps they're "expected" to be worked on because they're useful things to have? How many missed opportunities are there simply because you're too shy to make yourself be known?

Yes, I suppose...
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

What if, after a while, the faking becomes sincere? You convince yourself that that's how you are, and you can't tell the difference. Sound possible? (Nightning, is that related to what you're saying?)
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-03-2008 at 02:32 AM. Reason: OP
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.