User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Over inflated sense of what's necessary... that's one way of looking at it. Excellence can only be obtained if we are diligent in applying ourselves. Very true.

The alternative (and what I originally had in mind) is an over inflated sense of worth. Believing we're competent when we in fact are not. This has be attributed to the failing of the american self-esteem program. Self-esteem of the kids are as high as ever, but their sense of self do not reflect reality. It relates to what I said about obtaining a true understanding of ourselves and our abilities.

Know what we are capable of and be confident at our capabilities. The two must go hand in hand for us to succeed.

Definitely. Skilled teachers that knows how to build up confidence in their students and to provide them with a step progression of intellectually stimulating lessons are rare finds.

So are gifted children who are a pleasure to teach. We had a little girl visit our lab. I watched her solved logic puzzles in a game. She understands cause and effect and developed simple strategies of solving the puzzles. She also read everything on screen out loud and has complete understanding. She's only 5. A very smart kid. She'll go far.
    I was actually thinking about giving a response that would have specifically answered that, but the hangup was something that would have been too relative and case by case to me. I agree with your assessment of self esteem being built up in and of itself with no valuable objective measure to check it (mere competence as opposed to best possible outcome)

How do we necessarily perceive ourselves, is it accurate, and to what extent should we ultimately strive for?

I think that is actually one of the hardest things to conclude upon, or for that matter, come to a self realization of.

Do you think its possible to have a system in place that would allow ourselves (minds perception, actual reality) to do it with out a third party to provide us with a realistic sense of where we should be.

Do you think when *faking it* we should try and have a "gym partner" or "best friend" to provide us with the critical analysis?
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    How do we necessarily perceive ourselves, is it accurate, and to what extent should we ultimately strive for?

I think that is actually one of the hardest things to conclude upon, or for that matter, come to a self realization of.

Do you think its possible to have a system in place that would allow ourselves (minds perception, actual reality) to do it with out a third party to provide us with a realistic sense of where we should be.

Do you think when *faking it* we should try and have a "gym partner" or "best friend" to provide us with the critical analysis?
    Accurate perception of self is the easiest to do with a mirror, an outside perspective to check up on our progress. So yes, when we're trying to act out changes, it's best to have a partner. Although I think it's doable by ourselves through self reflection.

It's important that our self reflection involves an open and accepting attitude. We shouldn't try to directly confirm who we are... whether we truly excel at some task, or are we merely satisfactory. Instead, we should aim to explore our actions. What are the possible reasons for our actions. Especially pay close attention to our involuntary emotions that comes up during introspection.

I strongly believe that the unconscious mind knows more about ourselves than we can ever articulate. If we can figure out what drives our fears and what makes us proud, we've come a long way in figuring out where our strengths and weaknesses lies.

The rest is just observations. Pretend we're somebody else observing our actions. Judging just by our actions (and not our thoughts), what conclusion can we draw about ourselves? As long as we don't have any preconceived notions about ourselves, the process ought to give you similar results as one coming from a third party.