User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default How do you know "real preferences" ?

They say MBTI categorizes your real/natural preferences, as opposed to ability, right?

I'm not sure what my "natural" preferences are. I know I have goals for myself, but am I "fighting" my real preferences when I try to change/adapt my behavior in a fundamental way? But then maybe that 2nd state has always been my natural state, and I've been living in an "unnatural" state prior to that...

Does anyone else have this problem? Is my question even making sense?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Yes, your question makes sense.

I think that you are just playing games with your shadow, which is probably quite developed.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

But how can a person tell which is the shadow, and which is the true self? If there even is a "true" self, in terms of personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    But how can a person tell which is the shadow, and which is the true self? If there even is a "true" self, in terms of personality.
    Both sides are you.

The only question is which is more developed.

This is why I have long ago asked you about your S/N ratio. This works for other letters as well. The more balanced you are,the more diverse are you. What in the end leads to your situation.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Both sides are you.

The only question is which is more developed.
    Okay, that's true, and worth remembering. But I don't feel very balanced between the function sets. I feel more like I'm straining more toward one personality than the other. Or is the other straining toward the one? I can't tell, there are times when neither seems "natural". (I don't mean that I try to act the way an MBTI test describes my "type". I'm just talking about my personality, which would obviously exist with or without MBTI.)
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-04-2008 at 12:37 PM.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Open to anyone and everyone. Any other thoughts on this subject? Is it a struggle with the "shadow"?
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-06-2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Open to anyone and everyone. Any other thoughts on this subject? Is it a struggle with the "shadow"?
    Well, it could be.

For example I have noticed that very large number of your posts on this forum ends with"Last edited by Cimarron" what is strange for a TJ.

MBTI
    INxJ

MBTI can't categorize individuals that aren't aware of themselves. For example, some answer the indicator test questions with what they think should be the answer and not what they actually do.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    MBTI can't categorize individuals that aren't aware of themselves. For example, some answer the indicator test questions with what they think should be the answer and not what they actually do.
    Well, I know, that's why I don't really trust test results anymore. That's why I came to this forum: to read what people of all "types" do/say/think/feel, and to watch how they act with each other. It's a longer process, but more thorough, and maybe more objective (more empirical).

A little off-topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one
    For example I have noticed that a very large number of your posts on this forum ends with"Last edited by Cimarron" which is strange for a TJ.
    One reason is because when I quote more than one person in a post, I have to edit. The other option would be to "double post"--me posting twice in a row, which wastes space, and is not considered good forum style (it is discouraged by the mods, I think).

In a similar way, when the latest post on a thread is from me, but I have a new idea, I edit that last post. To avoid wasting space (and drawing unnecessary attention to myself), instead of double-posting.

Or sometimes it's to maximize the chance of people responding to it. Writing style, word choice, etc. can make a lot of difference when people decide whether to post. So in that case, I am quietly drawing attention toward my post.

But there are times (the ones I guess you're talking about) when I edit because I think I may have been a little rude or a little too emotional.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-06-2008 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Antisocial one's post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    My favorite anecdote was about my FIL, a mechanical engineer who just about anyone with ANY degree of MBTI sense... even a novice... would have immediately read as an ISTJ. He could quite literally be the photograph they'd post in the MBTI handbook as an example for that type.

But in the self-test he took at work, he rated himself as ENFJ.
    (He later retook it, with guidance from the counselor, and was deemed ISTJ.)

Go figure.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft