• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fine art does NOT require "N" preference....

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
there is no medium or art or science or whatever that is specifically N preference. my friend is an ISFJ and an EXCELLENT artist. my other friend is an ISTJ and an excellent musician. and ive heard of plenty particle physicists that prefer ISTJ or XSTJ in general. you cannot pinpoint type to certain music or certain art forms, or even occupations. it is not what we enjoy it is why we enjoy it. by enjoy i mean appreciate or really any other words that fit in there.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
there is no medium or art or science or whatever that is specifically N preference. my friend is an ISFJ and an EXCELLENT artist. my other friend is an ISTJ and an excellent musician. and ive heard of plenty particle physicists that prefer ISTJ or XSTJ in general. you cannot pinpoint type to certain music or certain art forms, or even occupations. it is not what we enjoy it is why we enjoy it. by enjoy i mean appreciate or really any other words that fit in there.

Bingo! Thank you, that's exactly what I was trying to say. :) (only it apparently took me three pages of wordiness to get there...)

Sarah
ISFP

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Bingo! Thank you, that's exactly what I was trying to say. :) (only it apparently took me three pages of wordiness to get there...)

Sarah
ISFP
welcome :) glad you made the thread. this is something everyone should understand about MBTI

EDIT:

this is my 666th post...dun dun DUNNN

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have long argued this.

Thanks, sarah.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't see the correlation between intuition and art at all... I thought craftsmanship wasn't generally for intuitives. The only art I'm any good at is writing. English is somewhat of a mother language for me, but not in the way swedish is, since I've lived almost my entire life here.

I can't paint, I can't sing, I can't play, I can't do sculptures... In fact, I am not very artistic. But I've got a pretty good imagination :)

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
YES IT DOES.

Jealous SPs ...

What SP would bother feeling jealous of somebody's silly beliefs about our capabilities when we're too busy creating art instead? ;)

By the way, I hope I haven't been misread as implying that people who prefer intuition can not also create art as well. I simply think it's obvious that the interest and drive to create works of art, like so many other pursuits in life, is not related to type. Like mlittrell said, people get into activities for all sorts of reasons, and it's the reasons rather than the activity itself that tends to reflect people's type. Are you a fine artist, Nihilen? Do you mind me asking if you make a living off of your art?

Sarah
ISFP

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
yeah, well pretend I am not there, I do that all the time

Haha what a loser, getting ignored all over the place! I see you there! Can't hide your loser-ness from me!

On topic. I think it would be interesting to give an MBTI to a bunch of artists and see what happens. Course, even within a single type, people can be drawn to producing different types of things. I'm an N, but I'm highly stimulated by certain color combinations, and so the crafting I like to do usually centers on making the most interesting, aesthetically pleasing color combinations I can. People are all over the board. This is just an idea of mine, but I always figure that, yes, people's art preferences may be influenced by their observable personality traits, but art is also often about expressing or exploring hidden thoughts, emotions or inspirations. Art could be representative of personality, or it could be a subversion of observed personality. I don't see any reason why it'd be assumed that N's predominate fine art either.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
What SP would bother feeling jealous of somebody's silly beliefs about our capabilities when we're too busy creating art instead? ;)

I have to see it to believe it.

And art must be art, not some Hollywood actor or crappy graphic designer or some craftsman.

Are you a fine artist, Nihilen? Do you mind me asking if you make a living off of your art?

Sarah
ISFP

How is that relevant to anything ? You know Van Gogh [He painted my avatar] could not really make a living off his art.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Haha what a loser, getting ignored all over the place! I see you there! Can't hide your loser-ness from me!

On topic. I think it would be interesting to give an MBTI to a bunch of artists and see what happens. Course, even within a single type, people can be drawn to producing different types of things. I'm an N, but I'm highly stimulated by certain color combinations, and so the crafting I like to do usually centers on making the most interesting, aesthetically pleasing color combinations I can. People are all over the board. This is just an idea of mine, but I always figure that, yes, people's art preferences may be influenced by their observable personality traits, but art is also often about expressing or exploring hidden thoughts, emotions or inspirations. Art could be representative of personality, or it could be a subversion of observed personality. I don't see any reason why it'd be assumed that N's predominate fine art either.

One of my art professors defined art as "the expression of one's ultimate concern." Does that resonate with you at all? (it's an extremely introverted feeling definition, isn't it?)

I've always been attracted to creating art because it gives me a nonverbal way of expressing my feelings about what I value, and also what I think is universally worth valuing. I love it because I can visually magnify what I've experienced in life (and find value in) via color and form so that others notice it too. I guess a recurring theme in my art tends to be about giving honor and dignity and time in the spotlight to beauty that might be overlooked because it isn't obvious or in-your-face. If there are any artists in this forum, I'd love to hear about what drives you to create art...

Sarah
ISFP

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
One of my art professors defined art as "the expression of one's ultimate concern." Does that resonate with you at all? (it's an extremely introverted feeling definition, isn't it?)

I've always been attracted to creating art because it gives me a nonverbal way of expressing my feelings about what I value, and also what I think is universally worth valuing. I love it because I can visually magnify what I've experienced in life (and find value in) via color and form so that others notice it too. I guess a recurring theme in my art tends to be about giving honor and dignity and time in the spotlight to beauty that might be overlooked because it isn't obvious or in-your-face. If there are any artists in this forum, I'd love to hear about what drives you to create art...

Sarah
ISFP

Very interesting. What kinds of things do you paint/draw/make?

I'm no artist in the formal sense, but I've always been the "craftiest" person I know. As idea-oriented as I tend to be in everyday life, nearly everything I make has to do with creating something that I deem beautiful or interesting-looking. With paint and other materials, it's about creating interesting and coherent colors and textures. Usually it involves me noticing a particular color palette in everyday life, and seeking to recreate the essence of it through paint, etc. There might be a mood inherent within this essence, but there doesn't have to be. With photographs it's about finding that perfectly balanced moment. When it comes to making my own stuff, it has to be visually striking to me for me to be happy with it. It's like some whacked-out expression of my supremely cruddy Se.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I have to see it to believe it.

And art must be art, not some Hollywood actor or crappy graphic designer or some craftsman. .

Dude, of course "art is art"! Nobody's arguing otherwise. I'm not even remotely a Hollywood actor, a crappy graphic designer, or a simple craftsman, nor is anyone else I know who is a fine artist, regardless of their type preferences.

Are you feeling threatened by my saying that many people who prefer Sensing are sensitive and visually aware and are capable of expressing themselves visually through artistic medium? Again, I'm merely saying I think it's ridiculous that some people have gotten the notion in their heads that creating fine art is an activity "owned" exclusively by intuitives, when that clearly isn't the case.

I really don't want to get into an argument with you over this. If you choose to cling to negative beliefs about Sensors, then I feel badly for you. You're missing out on the opportunity to understand and appreciate us better, and that's a shame.

How is that relevant to anything ? You know Van Gogh [He painted my avatar] could not really make a living off his art.

I merely asked whether you were an artist, and then I wondered off the top of my head if there were people on this list who were actually making a living off of their art. I don't try to make a living off of my art myself because I just can't bring myself to put a price tag on what I create. It wasn't a question that was related to type.

Sarah
ISFP

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Very interesting. What kinds of things do you paint/draw/make?

I'm no artist in the formal sense, but I've always been the "craftiest" person I know. As idea-oriented as I tend to be in everyday life, nearly everything I make has to do with creating something that I deem beautiful or interesting-looking. With paint and other materials, it's about creating interesting and coherent colors and textures. Usually it involves me noticing a particular color palette in everyday life, and seeking to recreate the essence of it through paint, etc. There might be a mood inherent within this essence, but there doesn't have to be. With photographs it's about finding that perfectly balanced moment. When it comes to making my own stuff, it has to be visually striking to me for me to be happy with it. It's like some whacked-out expression of my supremely cruddy Se.

I draw with either pencil, charcoal or oil pastel on paper, or I do collages that are built-up layers of paper heavily coated in oil pastel. When I had access to the materials to do so (in college), I did a lot of soft-ground etchings and engravings. Occasionally I fiddle around with watercolor, but it isn't my favorite medium. Most of what I do is related to expressing a feeling or mood through color and shape. Sometimes I pick an object --or several objects-- that I feel is symbolic in some way of the feeling I want to express, and incorporate that in the picture. Sometimes I layer abstract shapes and colors and create patterns that express emotions that I believe are common to all humanity. And sometimes I like to highlight something I find (serendipitously) in real life that I believe is wonderfully expressive, and I recreate it in slightly exaggerated shape and/or color so that it really stands out. I don't create enormous flowers like Georgia O'Keeffe did, but her work has the kind of spirit that I like to infuse in my art -- the "hey, look, you never really noticed me in all my detail and splendor before" feeling.

Sarah
ISFP

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I merely asked whether you were an artist, and then I wondered off the top of my head if there were people on this list who were actually making a living off of their art. I don't try to make a living off of my art myself because I just can't bring myself to put a price tag on what I create. It wasn't a question that was related to type.

Sarah
ISFP

I have no problem putting a price, I have sold many paintings so far, but not enough to make a living off of it. It's actually very hard to make a living off of art in Lebanon "that stereotypically war torn middle-eastern country".

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Sarah
ISFP

A good question, and I do like that quote, though I would expand it to include "that which interests and intrigues us most". I have blundered around trying to define art in the past few months, and have concluded that something is art if it communicates something.

I don't know what drives me to do it. I just know it's there, and that if I don't create art I start to get depressed and feel utterly miserable. It's like a handicap on my life, really. When I do create, I get to be in this realm inbetween consciousness and unconsciousness where nothing else in the world exists and I think about nothing explicit (meaning, I'm not talking to myself in my head--it's dead silent). I'm able to, in this place, become utterly focused on the physical and all I care about is what's happening in front of me. There's a sort of beautiful thing that happens as I watch myself put colours on the page and bring an idea to life.

But that's not the entirety of the drive. That's just part of it. That's the part that always surprises me when it happens. The rest of it lies in enjoying creating imaginary moments that seem "alive". I like to explore the absurd and the unlikely. I like to make people stop for a moment and go "what if that was real?"

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
go intuitive elitism!

Is this your defense mechanism against possible future comments saying you are favoring your own type in any given situation?

There's no way around the fact there are more Ns than Ss around here.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fine art requires the synthesis of many elements. It requires an integration of S and N, T and F. There is an internal, abstract, big picture element to artistic creation, but this must then be translated successfully into the concrete world of sensation. Fine art communicates the subjective world of F, but is often most effective when the form is structured with a reasoned container so to speak.

There is not one way to be an artist. I can't emphasize enough the fact that creativity is based on synthesis and integration of thought and ideas. The individual who is too polarized in their thought processes, whether a Sensor or iNtuitive, Thinker or Feeler, is going to run into a road block. There are examples of great artists whose foundation is abstract and philosophical, and others who are concrete, but both require some integration from the other.

Beethoven is an example of a composer who is an iNtuitive. His work is rigorously structured, abstract, philosophical, and there are famous quotes of his in which he cares little for the means by which the violinist or pianist will execute the pattern. His foundation is iNtuitive, but he does integrate some of the concrete. In his late piano sonatas (which he wrote with hearing loss), the chords are voiced to have maximum resonance on the piano.

There are other composers like Chopin and Lizst whose piano music fits the hand like a glove. They created their work at the instrument and generated their formal structures from a more concrete base.

I've worked with many individuals as students and peers in art and music, and one thing is obvious, each person has a unique way of approaching art that is based on integrating their mental and physical strengths. There is not one approach because art is about making the abstract concrete and visceral. There are many paths. The individual who can only see one path for the creative process has limited their own creativity.