User Tag List

123 Last

ThatGirl

Default psychoanalyze this feeling

Ok, so I have been taking a physical antropology class all fine and dandy right. Until we started to study primate behavior. Ive never been much of an animal person, and I never thought I was a monkey, so why should this knowledge be different right.

So, today we are sitting there watching a video on Jane Goodall and her chimps, and I cant stand it.

What is this feeling?

Im not offended not angry. But my chest is tight and intense. I don't want to talk to anyone, I just wish I could run into a hole somewhere, but I am very calm. It just hurts in my chest.

Its not the animals I really am not an activist or anything so this just doesnt make sense to me.

Why does primate behavior effect me so significantly?

Werid I know.

I would almost comapre it to sadness, WTF?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Just conjecturing, but it sounds like you're having an emotional reaction to recognizing something human about chimpanzees and something chimpanzee about humans.

You say you've never thought of yourself as "a monkey" or been an "animal person", so of course it might be disconcerting to feel/see the human/animal connection for the first time. It's intense- to see a new aspect of the world.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Just conjecturing, but it sounds like you're having an emotional reaction to recognizing something human about chimpanzees and something chimpanzee about humans.

You say you've never thought of yourself as "a monkey" or been an "animal person", so of course it might be disconcerting to feel/see the human/animal connection for the first time. It's intense- to see a new aspect of the world.
    I'll concur on that, but I think it is somehow the end of capability to witness in my lifetime. Ive never felt this despair over my own kind before.

geez I even sound awful to me.

Its almost like what I have seen as to what I have been told has been validated by the former. We, as people are complex, and thats great, but ive always seemed to see something more.....

it was "something" to see that your horrible view points are validated. I know exactly who I am sort of thing.

Agrh, this is stupid, tell me it is stupid.

I dont know why it bothers me so much.

ThatGirl

holy shit am I a feeler?

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Closet monkey.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    No.

Hmm. Do you, perhaps, see now that humans are not nearly so superior as we have long claimed? That despite being so rational and intelligent we are, at our bases, barely much more than primates on mental steroids?

I can see how that would cause one to despair or at least feel uncomfortable.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I'll concur on that, but I think it is somehow the end of capability to witness in my lifetime. Ive never felt this despair over my own kind before.

geez I even sound awful to me.

Its almost like what I have seen as to what I have been told has been validated by the former. We, as people are complex, and thats great, but ive always seemed to see something more.....

it was "something" to see that your horrible view points are validated. I know exactly who I am sort of thing.

Agrh, this is stupid, tell me it is stupid.

I dont know why it bothers me so much.

It would be weird that it doesn't bothers you. Since this is a direct attack on the foundations of your belief and if it is true what you have seen then some questions must be asked. The questions that will create even more mess in your head.

I know about what I am talking about since I am into evolution professionally and I know my effect on other people.

MBTI
    ENTP

Maybe fear caused by realizing that something in which you believed strongly may be false after all.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

I am curious.

Are you traditional in general or this makes you feel bad just like that?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Is that what it was? The OP was very vague about what exactly you were reacting to and feeling, specifically.

I remember feeling uncomfortable the first time I really considered the similarities between other primates and human beings. I was brought up in the church and had a large faith underlying life experience, and so it was a shock when I really looked and realized how closely related we are... and it made me question my other assumptions about life.

I don't know, I was good at suppressing the negative feelings; truth is truth, information is information, and I can't ignore any that I don't like; but yes, depending on your assumptions about people and/or just yourself, having the rug torn out from under you like that can be very disconcerting and even cause psychological vertigo. I have on occasion, when jolted hard enough, had that weird body sensation where I just felt physically ill, unsettled, just WRONG... and the horrible part for an NT is that I could not articulate or pinpoint WHY or WHAT exactly was going on -- I just felt emotionally crappy enough that physically I was thrown for a loop too. There's little to process or understand. I think Thinkers -- and especially abstracted ones -- are really hit hard when their body is reacting apart from the rest of them and there's nothing that can be understood.

If this is what you're talking about, maybe you can imagine now why religious people without a lot of psychological stamina can't even really bear to consider the idea we're so connected to the rest of the animal kingdom.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft