User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default How do you get motivation?

I've been thinking about this for a while now. I have no motivation to do anything at the moment. Anything at all. Even eating is an effort. Everything just seems to be too much bother for no compelling purpose. Even basic hygiene is something I have to consciously remind myself of these days. 5 year goal? Forget it. I'm still working on 5 hour goals. I'm particularly deficient in motivation right now, but it's something I've always struggled with. It's long since ceased to amaze me how much people can accomplish with limited resources and a lot of ambition. Yet ambition seems to me to be something you're either born with or born without.

Any tips or thoughts on the subject?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    If you figure it out, let me know... I'm struggling through it right now.

This sounds funny, but most of the time we do it to ourselves. One of the only things that has worked for me is to take a walk with my GF... to just get out and do something. Unfortunately, right now, that lasts a couple of hours before I start to slip again. But in part, that's because I feel overloaded... so when I'm working I don't feel like I'm doing anything.

Still, getting out and doing something is the best thing I can offer. It kinda works for me.

MBTI
    type

Ask Jennifer, who seems to have worked out how to move me like a puppet.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Ask Jennifer, who seems to have worked out how to move me like a puppet.
    I have repented of my evil ways and cut the strings.

(Now you can just lay there in a heap like every OTHER abandoned marionette! )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Sometimes it's easy (don't shoot me, please). Sometimes you can visualize the reward, the finished project, easily. That can be all the motivation I need. Not always though. Sometimes it's a question of just 'doing it' - fake it 'til you make it. "I know if I do this I'll feel better for it"; or if I get this done, then at the end of the day, week, month, whatever, I will have made progress.

And then there are those times when I realize that I just need the time to be unmotivated. And that's OK.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    And then there are those times when I realize that I just need the time to be unmotivated. And that's OK.
    Pfff. An unmotivated INTJ? You have chosen your avatar well.

MBTI
    INTJ

Sometimes it happens. Really. I didn't say it happened for long periods of time...

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    type

I actually write down lists of things to get done, sorted generally into difficulty and dependencies.

Then I lose the list.

Making the list helps me focus on what's actually important and what's underlying my lack of motivation. Usually if I can figure out what's bothering me, then I can get moving again.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I don't know, I've had a sorry year for motivation as well. What helps is to find something I think would be enjoyable and do it. No questions asked, not too many thoughts about it, just do it. Which can be really hard to do when you're feeling unmotivated...you keep thinking "I'm not sure I want to even bother...my bed's looking a lot more comfortable...I'll probably not have fun at all...I have other things to do (when I didn't)."

What also helped was thinking before doing something I just didn't feel bothered to do, "I'll feel much better after this." And surprise, surprise, I usually did.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have tried most of the ideas here in the past:

- Making a list, even if I have trouble actually using it (because it helps me become aware of what I need to do)

- Allowing myself to have some times of being unmotivated, I realized I just needed to permit myself to slack off sometimes rather than go go go.

- Sometimes going walking or driving helps free my mind so i can think clearly enough to figure out what to do.

- Sometimes I just have to choose something and DO it, even if I am not sure it is the best thing to do or necessarily the "right" strategy / course of action. Doing SOMETHING even if it's not the best option often leads me into an idea of what I SHOULD be doing.

- Get a large goal to aim for. Saving money is hard unless you have a reason to save it. Losing weight is hard unless you have a reason to do so. Educating yourself is hard unless you have a purpose.

- Actually get a routine in place. I remember reading about Einstein and others who would buy lots of suits that were all the same, then they just needed to put on the next one in line and not having to mentally quibble over what to wear. Routines are good for this: To avoid having to constantly make decisions that will distract me or trip me up, I need to develop routines so I can just do them and not have to constantly rethink what to do next. Routines can be your friend.

As far as lack of motivation goes, sometimes this happens because of depression or lack of good diet/sleep.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft