• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hullo! Identify me

lane777

nevermore
So I'm new here, it's my first thread... so don't hate me if this topic has been exhausted. Anybody interested in Hippocrates Temperament system? (It seems to have gone outta style). It's the oldest form of psychology apparently, and I personally find it to be the most accurate, probably because it's very basic.

For those who don't know, Hippocrates is based on 5 personalities: Choleric, Sanguine, Phlegmatic, Supine (new addition) and the Melencholy. Once you've determined which fits you best, you choose a secondary temperament and then you've got your type. According to mom (who knows me inside & out) I'm a PhlegMel, which I had thought myself.

The annoying thing is, I've taken many (unnofficial) MBTI tests and have come out with results that don't always agree with my results from Hippocrates :steam: Maybe I don't know myself very well (although I'm very self aware) but I've heard other people express frusteration over the inconsistency of MBTI as well, so maybe the system is flawed? :shock: No offense to you MBTI lovers. When self diagnosing, I think I'm an INFJ. For those of you who care to diagnose me, feel free to pick my brain.

Anyone relate to how I'm having difficulty determining my MBTI type? Any insights into how the MBTI and Hippocrates correspond? Know of good MBTI test's that are free or do ya gotta pay to get the goods?

THANKY! :D

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yes, we're familiar. What's your MBTI type? Why, I just don't know yet!

S

Sniffles

I sincerely hope you really are INFJ......welcome! :)

As for MBTI tests, don't worry - it's actually common for INFJs to score as other types really. Heck, I constantly score as INFP.

You do give off something of an INFJ vibe, but I won't jump to any conclusions.

As for Hippocrates, I honestly wouldn't know. I have heard of it and have a vague general understanding of it. I believe there was a Medieval development into it as well, since I once read what it stated about the religious outlooks and practices of each type.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
maybe you should start up a thread about the Hippocrates system and explain it a bit better for everyone?

EricB I think also has some knowledge of that system (including the new Supine category -- I'm only really acquainted with the four humour system, which was the first personality theory I ran across, about 25 years ago).

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
personally, i think the 5 temperament is just the more broader/general system.
And the more broader/general the result is less chance of it being wrong/inconsistent.

My primary is: melancholy
This often looks more like NF to me, or a feeler in general. But it contains hints of the NT in terms of always looking for improvement... etc
Secondary is" Phlegmatic, which further reinforces the NT's way.

Let say, if i got my secondary as Sanguine. That completely changes everything.
Sameway, how in MBTI NT and NF are very different.

Therefore i see mbti as the system that goes further in depth.

Mbti system can be flawed like any other personality test, especially if your on the borderline. Depending on what your feeling that day, it can change the result. For me, i'm extreme on all 4 side relatively so my result is always consistent.

When your not feeling anything out of the ordinary take the longest/most accurate mbti test you can find. (and try to remember the reoccuring mbti personality types you have gotten) Then read articles/essay on that personality. the one that mostly matches you, is you. It should be like, "Yes this is definitely me!" kind of deal. The little description after test don't help as much, stick to articles if you haven't already.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
So I'm new here, it's my first thread... so don't hate me if this topic has been exhausted. Anybody interested in Hippocrates Temperament system? (It seems to have gone outta style). It's the oldest form of psychology apparently, and I personally find it to be the most accurate, probably because it's very basic.

For those who don't know, Hippocrates is based on 5 personalities: Choleric, Sanguine, Phlegmatic, Supine (new addition) and the Melencholy. Once you've determined which fits you best, you choose a secondary temperament and then you've got your type. According to mom (who knows me inside & out) I'm a PhlegMel, which I had thought myself.

The annoying thing is, I've taken many (unnofficial) MBTI tests and have come out with results that don't always agree with my results from Hippocrates :steam: Maybe I don't know myself very well (although I'm very self aware) but I've heard other people express frusteration over the inconsistency of MBTI as well, so maybe the system is flawed? :shock: No offense to you MBTI lovers. When self diagnosing, I think I'm an INFJ. For those of you who care to diagnose me, feel free to pick my brain.

Anyone relate to how I'm having difficulty determining my MBTI type? Any insights into how the MBTI and Hippocrates correspond? Know of good MBTI test's that are free or do ya gotta pay to get the goods?

THANKY! :D
I would think a Phleg/Mel is an ISFJ.
An INFJ would be Mel/Phleg.

I am an Chol/Mel.

I've never heard of Supine.
Oh... aka "Introverted Sanguine"
I'm married to one, and I have one for a son.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

lane777

nevermore
I sincerely hope you really are INFJ......welcome! :)

As for MBTI tests, don't worry - it's actually common for INFJs to score as other types really. Heck, I constantly score as INFP.

You do give off something of an INFJ vibe, but I won't jump to any conclusions.

As for Hippocrates, I honestly wouldn't know. I have heard of it and have a vague general understanding of it. I believe there was a Medieval development into it as well, since I once read what it stated about the religious outlooks and practices of each type.

Makes sense that Hippocrates would be used for religious purposes since most Christian groups use it for counseling. Yeah I've been reading some more and I think it's definitely between INFJ and INTP (I've scored as an INTP before), but also all the NF profiles sound a tad bit like me... Bleh, I'm so indecisive. Anyone know if it's common to get those two types confused?

Thanks everyone for your replies :happy0065:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
INTP is Choleric.
If your mom thinks you're Phleg/Mel then I doubt that you are INTP,
though I could be wrong.
I would just start with ISFJ or INFJ first.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Well your style of writing is consistent with INFJs.

I'm SupMel according to this page, if it's of any use.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I didn't find those descriptions in accordance with what I've learned in the past.

S

Sniffles

Yeah I've been reading some more and I think it's definitely between INFJ and INTP (I've scored as an INTP before), but also all the NF profiles sound a tad bit like me... Bleh, I'm so indecisive. Anyone know if it's common to get those two types confused?

As a matter of fact, yes, there's even a thread dedicated to that exact theme:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/what-s-my-type/7993-possible-infj-intp-tendencies.html

Both INFJs and INTPs share the function of Ti, so that's where the connection comes in.

lane777

nevermore
Well your style of writing is consistent with INFJs.

I'm SupMel according to this page, if it's of any use.

:blink: Woah. How'd you figure out I'm INFJ? That's wicked you can pick up on that kindov stuff through just writing.

Thanks a bunch for the link! I'll be taking that test for sure.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
:blink: Woah. How'd you figure out I'm INFJ? That's wicked you can pick up on that kindov stuff through just writing.

Thanks a bunch for the link! I'll be taking that test for sure.
We can't tell someone's type just by a little bit of writing online. What she meant was that your style of writing is a clue that you might be INFJ.

When we get to know you better, we'll be able to be more sure.

I still think you are an ISFJ. :)