User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Default Excelling on Standardized Tests

Here is an odd observation that I would like to test out with the crowd. Personally, I do exceedingly well (98-99 percentile) on standardized tests, without putting in the amount of studying other people do.

My normal pattern of studying starts off with taking an official practice exam and failing it (usually due to overanalysis of multiple choice options and being unfamiliar with test properties). Give me a few more practice tests, and I am able to blast out rocking results on the exam. I don't know how this works, but I am guessing something to do with pattern recognition and a good grasp of core required data.

My data is limited as I have only taken three national standerdized exams.

ACT (2 days, 3 practice tests)
    SAT (2 days, 3 practice tests)
    MCAT (1 week, 6 practice tests)

I can't find where I read this, but I heard that N type personalities do not do well on standerdized exams. I would love to hear your analysis and or past experiences.

MBTI
    INTP

I actually used to kill standardized tests like you did. I admittedly am not uber smart though so the lack of studying caught up to me, part of that may be that I was not constantly intellectually stimulated in my youth so my abilities might have tapered off more rapidly.

I actually think that N's with good or very strong thinking skills can overcome the negatives qualities of intuition in regards to standardized tests. Personally on those things my intuition is reigned in real quick, especially on test days. Practicing is a whole different thing though, I can see how you would relax your thinking and tend to over analyze questions then.

I don't think some N's(would say most but I don't know) can necessarily put in the massive grunt hours for tests, at least no where near the level some S's can. Theres something to be said for conceptualizing and reasoning everything out as opposed to really drilling the specific bits of informations contained on those tests.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    INFP

I do okay...but the sad thing is my math section(I'm allergic to calculus), the fact that I don't go to an american school and that I didn't take prep classes two years like other people.
    I did pretty well on the crit and writing for someone with english as their second language.
    I had to overload on snacks or I'd get brain freezes during this test.
    What kind of hell are the SATs?
    I didn't do especially bad....(except on the math part )
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

People study for standardized tests?

I always kicked thier asses quite satisfactorily- in fact, I got a full college scholarship for my truly wicked test taking abilities.

Then again, I always just looked at them as a game- a contest between me and the test makers... that takes some of the pressure off that most people feel when taking a standardized test.

Plus- I've always associated tests with food because of this I actually ENJOY taking standardized tests!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

I normally scored at or around the 97-98 percentile, although I never really took many practice tests. Every standardized test that I've taken, I've taken cold. No prep time, no studying. I always viewed them as tests for my own personal growth, and really didn't care about the results at all.

I've missed so many questions on tests because I overanalyze them. Definitely right there with you. Also, I HATE the essay portions. How do people write that fast?

SAT (one day, one test. Took the PSAT a year earlier, does that count as pratice?)
    ACT (two days, two tests. Slightly better score second time.)

MBTI
    ENFP

lol,

bunch of punks here taken standerdized tests without practice...

I wanna see what yall would do on an MCAT without practice...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    People study for standardized tests?

Then again, I always just looked at them as a game- a contest between me and the test makers... that takes some of the pressure off that most people feel when taking a standardized test.

Plus- I've always associated tests with food because of this I actually ENJOY taking standardized tests!
    I think those are both important points. I've always viewed tests that way, especially standardized ones. I think it helps in relieving the pressure, but at the same time I think that is what truly allows you to excel at them. Thats why I never understand the massive studying people do on them. To me its just a glorified word/ logic game. Theres not really studying you can do for that except working on your actual reasoning ability. That is something you can actively practice in real life by just running through your own thoughts and seeing how you came to conclusions, sort of like what those logic and word games force you to do. At least if you want to, or are good at them.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Actually most studies say that Ns perform better (on average) on standardized tests.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Actually most studies say that Ns perform better (on average) on standardized tests.
    Well, damn, then I must be an S because I blow at standardized exams.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I always have scored in the 99th percentile in the past.
    The most studying I did for the SAT was taking the PSAT.
    I don't like taking the tests. My SAT experience was long and grueling.
    For some reason, the proctors took forever to get the test started!! :steam:
    I remember sleeping for the rest of the day after the test.

I'm counting on the LSAT for law school.
    I had a really bad freshman year in college, something I'm working on fixing but I'm not going to be graduating summa cum laude or anything like that at this point, lol.

I'm not sure if there is a type/testtakingability correlation.
    I know a lot of SP's and SJ's (especially those SJ's) who do really well on these things.
    However, I will say that Ne helps me a lot on these things.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx