User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Excelling on Standardized Tests

well I guess I'm just the dumb one of the bunch
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Well, damn, then I must be an S because I blow at standardized exams.
    Mmm no, Ns perform better just on average, not every N performs better but anyway you seem to be smart even if you blow at standardized tests

Personally, I'd love if school was exclusively comprised of standardized tests. They feel like a "game" to me.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

I did worse on the ACT and SAT than I have on most tests... The ACT and SAT ruined my usual way for getting good scores: vague BS that begs being interpreted the right way, and guessing answers based on wording... guarding well against it crimps my steez, and is often a part of standardized tests.

For the grade school standarised tests, I usually got high percentiles on everything. But for the SAT (the old one)...yea I sucked. I took a course in how to take it and study for it and then I did better, but to me, I still sucked at it.

And...if everything were comprised of standarised tests, I would probably try to find a school where that wasn't the case. It's not that they're hard exactly, I just loathe the format and I loathe the proctors and I loathe that they're designed for everyone in the state/county/country in mind instead of just that class with just those students. They don't even test for actual knowledge half the time!
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    People study for standardized tests?
    I know...funny. Perhaps I was clueless, as I didn't know back in high school that I was 'supposed' to study/prep for the ACT or SAT, or take practice tests. The official tests were the first time I'd done them, and I didn't re-do either.

I always kicked thier asses quite satisfactorily- in fact, I got a full college scholarship for my truly wicked test taking abilities.
    I'm not AS brilliant as you, but I did well also - 98th percentile.

Now, about 7 yrs ago when I was about to go to grad school, I took the GRE...and I DID study for a few months prior, doing practice exams and all of that. Definitely made a difference, and I kicked ass on the GRE - esp. the Analytical/Logical component (this was back when they had 3 sections to the test - quantitative, analytical, and verbal) -- got into the 99th % instead of 98th. haha.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints