View Poll Results: Sign Up Sheet

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want to play the game. Put me on a team.

34 91.89%
  • If we decide to have captains, I'd like to volunteer for the position.

3 8.11%
First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Why are we going to have 5/6 teams? That's way too many!
    Because we had a problem with team size last time. Too many people on a team equals too many opinions, ideas, and roles. That lead to indecision, extended brain-storming sessions, excessive amounts of time waiting for all team players to respond to ideas and questions, and sometimes . . . confusion.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Because we had a problem with team size last time. Too many people on a team equals too many opinions, ideas, and roles. That lead to indecision, extended brain-storming sessions, excessive amounts of time waiting for all team players to respond to ideas and questions, and sometimes . . . confusion.
    Then shouldn't you specify how many people there should be per team? (e.g. 5-6) over wondering about how many teams you should have?

Doing it backwards sounds more sensible to me... let people form their own teams, then have the teams pick a leader.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Sure too many people can lead to inaction but the bigger problem is non-participation. Donít sign up if youíre not gonna do anything people!

What sized teams are you thinking?

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

I want to participate. I don't want to be a captain.

I... suppose. Yeah!

I want to participate too, but I'm worried I won't really have the time.

Cool, if there's going to be at least five teams, that means we can have some new team colors -- purple and/or orange!
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

Just a few (many) suggestions based on my experience last time as a captain:

1. Keep team size small, as Haight suggested. More than five, maybe six is unwieldy and becomes excessively bureaucratic. If that means you have to have a lot of teams, so be it.

2. No adding of people or teams once the Gauntlet begins. Teams find a chemistry that gets blown up when a new member is added. Personally, I wouldn't even allow additions when a team member quits or becomes disinterested. I think keeping people involved and dealing with things like that should be part of the game.

3. I'd allow a two day break between challenges. It becomes very stressful to go from one to another immediately and causes people to not want to participate.

4. I think some challenges last time were decided based on who was on what team instead of the quality of the entries. Yeah, I know how that sounds, and I don't care. We had people voting for themselves (which was not against the rules but still sucks), campaigning for their friends to vote for them (ditto), and in a couple cases even having people join the forum just to vote. I know that's life and that's just the way it goes, and I won't pretend I know what the perfect voting system is, but I know that what we had last time isn't it.

5. I think ideally the teams would be chosen randomly because it's the fairest way, although I'm probably in the minority on that. The way we did it last time was pretty good. Each captain privately submits a ranked list of everyone who wants to play. A random picking order is determined and then when each captain's turn comes up he is assigned the highest ranked available player on his list.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    3. I'd allow a two day break between challenges. It becomes very stressful to go from one to another immediately and causes people to not want to participate.
    OH HELL YES! Longer even but not shorter.

MBTI
    INTj

I'm with you, FMW. But I don't know the solution to 4.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Agree with FMW's point 3. The point is to make it fun... too much work aint no fun.

Solution to people joining just to vote. Limit access to the gauntlet subforum to members with at least xxx votes.

Voting for your own team/popularity vote... well those can't be help... it's bound to happen because for most things it's a subjective judgmental call.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Some Ideas

Well, we could have random submissions. Submissions can go to one of the mods or one responsible member, and that member would post all the submissions in a thread. I don't want to participate this time, and I'd love to be a judge. Actually, it'd be cool to have an American Idol-like voting, where members get one vote and the judges each get one. Also, another idea, if we have a LOT of teams, we can eliminate one team each week. Winner can get extra points and some kind of advantage (maybe an extra day to work on the project).

Solution to the team picking is to randomize it. We can make a list of all the players in an excel file and just assign people numbers (1-5) and then pool all the 1s, all the 2s, etc.

If new players want to join, they have to wait till there are enough people to create a team, though they'll start with a handicap.