User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default 30 Day Pull-Up Challenge

I'm a really big fan of pull-ups.

This thread will be more about mental toughness and discipline than a standard pull-up workout, though. I want to do 100 pull-ups every other day for 30 days. This will be highly experimental. Some days, I might have a standard 10 reps, 30 seconds rest, cycle. Other days, I'll do pyramids that begin at 1 and build up. I'll vary reps and rest times, try weighted pull-ups, and just play around with what works and doesn't work. The goal is only to get 100 pull-ups done every other day. During the course of this challenge, I'll edit this post with videos, articles, and other information that I find relevant to pull-ups. If anybody else wants to sign on today or later on, feel free to check in and give updates and explain what type of program you're working with.

Bartendaz:

Articles:

Variations

Combat Sports

Most Pull-Ups in 24 Hours (Female)

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 12-23-2016 at 12:30 PM.
    Likes MDP2525 liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Don't skip leg day.
    "How badly did you have to break it to make it care about people so much?"
    "That didn't break it. It's what made it work."

"Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company." - Rene Descartes

5w6 1w9 2w1, sp/so
    Likes Peter Deadpan, MDP2525, Forever, Poki liked this post

MBTI
    IntJ
    Enneagram
    85X sx

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post

Don't skip leg day.
    Look at those poor chicken legs
    Likes nonsequitur liked this post

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    I_FP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I love pull-ups. They were always my fave when I went to the gym. I don't go anymore. I'm also a really thin woman with not buff arms and have to use a band to help me. After a couple months, I was able to do a couple unassisted pull-ups and the accomplishment felt great. I really miss it. My super power is actually a 5-minute plank, switching positions a few times to target different muscles and help distract my mind.
    Likes MDP2525, nonsequitur, Poki, Kilgore Trout liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    Just Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    I love pull-ups. They were always my fave when I went to the gym. I don't go anymore. I'm also a really thin woman with not buff arms and have to use a band to help me. After a couple months, I was able to do a couple unassisted pull-ups and the accomplishment felt great. I really miss it. My super power is actually a 5-minute plank, switching positions a few times to target different muscles and help distract my mind.
    Can you do the fun planking?

F O R E V E R

When it matters, everyone's the same.

Likes Peter Deadpan, Poki liked this post

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Real men do muscleups !

I wouldnt recommend doing 100 pullups every second day. That way you only risk injury and in this intensity you rather increase muscular stamina instead of growth. Rather go bouldering on an overhanging wall, way more fun an more of a natural movement.

I heavily increased my chest size by doing pull-ups in an A-B-A-B-... plan 3 times a week for 3 months, with 3x10 pullups every B day. As it got to easy, I packed on a backpack with weights.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    You should start it up again! It's fantastic for rebuilding your self-confidence (and your body).

5 min plank Yeah as a 1 min planker I challenge you to barbell squats instead!
    "How badly did you have to break it to make it care about people so much?"
    "That didn't break it. It's what made it work."

"Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company." - Rene Descartes

5w6 1w9 2w1, sp/so
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    Just Ni

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post

Don't skip leg day.
    I was born with thicker legs but I still do leg day haha. I have a thinner top.
    F O R E V E R

When it matters, everyone's the same.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Update:

During the first week, I did 100 pull-ups every other day. I rested on Sunday.

Method -- 8 reps, 1 minute rest, in cycles. OR: Pyramids, starting from 1, going up to 5, for really slow pull-ups. I rested for 30 seconds in between each set.

On my rest days, I've been doing 100 squats (20 reps, rest for 2 minutes, in cycles). I finish with a wall sit for 1 minute.

I've been eating a lot better to deal with recovery, even adding whey protein as a supplement. My hours of sleep have increased too.

It's harder to do this challenge on the days I have martial arts and running and skateboarding, but I try to space the activities out. I'm not above cutting out a day if I don't feel that I have had adequate rest. The most important thing is to listen to my body. On the other hand, I am primarily doing this challenge as an experiment. As the weeks progress, I'll alter my training to see what works the best for me.