• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

5k a day every day

Beorn

Permabanned
I'm going to walk 5 k a day every day until I drop 20 lbs and will switch things up. In a couple of weeks I might add a longer walk on the weekend.

Anyone who want's to join in the fun of walking whatever distance is suitable for you every day is welcome.

Day 1: Done

Beorn

Permabanned
Day 2: Done

What I like about pushing myself this way is that it is low impact, but at the same time it's enough effort that it forces me to stretch and ice so I'm not in pain for hours because of my sciatica.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh I thought this was one of those get rich quick schemes :(

but I guess exercise is just as important.... >.>

Beorn

Permabanned
Welp 3 days in and I'm gonna break it. Getting continued tightness on the bottoms of my feet despite stretches. The last thing I want is full-on plantar fasciitis. Will ice, warm and stretch today. Tomorrow I'll start up again at a lower distance and try to work up to 5k in a week or so.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wish I could join you but bad feet, knees, ankles, and hip limit my walking. I use my elliptical, which seems to be pretty helpful.

I have a cousin whose husband decided to get active after a mid life wake up. He started walking. He started unable to walk a half mile. Within 3 years, he ran his first marathon.

Good luck

Beorn

Permabanned
Day 4: Done

I got new shoes on Wednesday and was working them in the past couple of days. After years without new proper fitting running shoes I felt like I had mercury's sandals on my feet and wanted to breakout into an all out run, but I resisted and kept to the plan so as to limit impact.

Wish I could join you but bad feet, knees, ankles, and hip limit my walking. I use my elliptical, which seems to be pretty helpful.

I hear ya. I hope to get some speed work in on the elliptical in a few weeks. I really shouldn't run until my back is better and that will take months.

I have a cousin whose husband decided to get active after a mid life wake up. He started walking. He started unable to walk a half mile. Within 3 years, he ran his first marathon.

Good luck

Cool story and thank you.

Beorn

Permabanned
Day 7: Done.

Cuts, bruises, and aches, but that won't stop me.

The tightness in the bottom of my foot is mostly gone.

Beorn

Permabanned
Day 9 and 10: Done

That's 50k. :)
Now I just need to be able to do that in under 8 hours. :D

Beorn

Permabanned
I busted out a 5 mile long run yesterday out of nowhere. It felt great with just a little bit of my knee nagging me. I'm just resting up today. I plan to keep walking a longer distance during the week with some "speed work" on the elliptical to drop some more weight before I run again, but it feels great to know I can.

Beorn

Permabanned
Did 40 minutes of speed work on the elliptical yesterday and 5k walking (dropping my time by 15 minutes) today.
I guess that's day 12 and 13.
Tried some weight lifting, but my shoulder is still too sensitive to really get back into it.

Beorn

Permabanned
Rested yesterday.
Today I did 5k on the elliptical and then walked 5k.

Right now plan is to do:
5k/5k on elliptical and walking M, T, TH, F
7.5k/10k elliptical and walking Sat
Rest W and Sun

Beorn

Permabanned
I rested Friday and Saturday.
Sunday I did an hour on the elliptical and an hour or so on a trail for a total of 5 miles.

I ran downhill on the trail some and started having more nagging inflammation and pain in my left knee (the sciatica side).
I'm going to decrease the impact on my knee even more and go to stationary bike/walking which will be much more time consuming unfortunately.

The good news is I've finally started shedding some pounds. Hopefully my knee will be able to take more running as I lose weight and continue to strengthen the muscles around it.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
after you run for a while if your body gets used it you might break down in a bad way.

You can try running less, but faster, for short bursts of speed and start weightlifting a bit...focus on form.

then go back to long distance.

Your body has a deeper memory than you think, or than we know of.

Your body, like the seasons, will have its own seasons and you can ride them like waves to become a greater athlete/health guru master.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
after you run for a while if your body gets used it you might break down in a bad way.

You can try running less, but faster, for short bursts of speed and start weightlifting a bit...focus on form.

then go back to long distance.

Your body has a deeper memory than you think, or than we know of.

Your body, like the seasons, will have its own seasons and you can ride them like waves to become a greater athlete/health guru master.

I didnt understand the first para. In cardio it doesn't really matter if your body will get used to it right, because it is simply burning calories. In hypertrophy it would be an issue of your body will get used to it cus it will stop the growth.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Started back on the elliptical this summer in July. Kept eating like shit until about two weeks before thanksgiving.

Transitioned from the elliptical to the treadmill around halloween. Just did 3.1 miles (a 5k) the fastest I've ever done it.

Down 19.25lbs to 235.75. Hoping to hit 230lbs by Xmas.

Thinking about getting back into cycling.

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Damn, the only 5k I'm down with is 5k in paper. Fuck cardio, if you can do it you're more fit than me for sure.