• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2015 Health and Fitness Challenge!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, I'm in a pretty good routine. I've been weight stable for several weeks now, ready for that to start going down again any old time.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Well, I haven't been exercising all day every day, but I have been fairly active. I've been writing a few notes on the whiteboard when I do stuff.
2nd - Moonlight hash run
5th - P90X3 upper eccentric and ab ripper x
6th - Shiggy hash (hiking mostly through the woods for about an hour and a half)
8th - Cardio X, Yoga day 1, and some simple hip stretches
10th (today!) - Walk/sprint for about a mile, Yoga day 2

I've been cooking some pretty mean healthy soups, and eating relatively good after I finished moving/driving up here to NC. :)

It's very weird going from a well stocked everything-I-could-ever-want kitchen to one that's barely functioning food-in-stock wise. I have to really buckle down and figure out what I want out of meals and what I need to prep and prepare.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've never heard of hash running, but that looks fun as hell!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm a huge fan of Breville products. I think they make high quality stuff at an affordable price for people who want to cook like chefs occasionally but just need stuff to work the rest of the time. One of my absolute STEALS from a thrift shop in Austin was a Breville Juicer. (I recently bought one and regrettably returned it when a financial crisis conveniently reared its head the very next day, but the one day I played with it I was very impressed. Talk about a way to use up some sad-looking-but-still-technically-edible plant foods.) The juicer I originally bought was $150 brand new. I got a compact version of the same thing for $12.59 that didn't have the stupid little cup that catches the juice with it. It's smaller and fits better into a cabinet (its still a monster haha) and a solo plastic cup is the perfect size for the replacement cup.

Anyways, long story short (too late!) I finally busted it out. And despite my "oh shit I bought this months ago what if it doesn't work right..." worries, it worked BEAUTIFULLY. So right now chilling in the fridge is watermelon juice to go with dinner, along with some mint tea ice cubes currently freezing in the freezer to go with the juice. :)
Tonight is salad (we have a TON of greens to use up!) and leftover chicken soup, and a freezer/fridge clean out after that.
I'm pickling some carrots to make some pickled carrot snack sushi in the near future.
Lasagna, spaghetti, hamburgers, sloppy joes, broccoli tots, asian rice bowls with sushi, and ploughman's platter with ceviche are on the menus. Lunches are pretty much going to stay sandwiches or crackers with chicken/tuna, hummus, or peanut butter jelly. Breakfasts are switching to oats for... a looong while. Hahaha! I have too many!

Yesterday I ran/walked, but not very far.. I was pretty disappointed with how far away I am from 3 miles with it being halfway through the year. My hip pain won't subside, so I'm just working through it now. Today is P90X3 lower body, ab ripper (because my legs won't be punished enough) and yoga day 2.

I've never heard of hash running, but that looks fun as hell!.... Any fatties there? ;)

It's a drinking group with a running problem. :yes: Of course there are! And you have fake-fatties like me, who look in shape but couldn't put a mile out if a really slow bear was threatening to maul my face off. :laugh: Actually, I don't look hardly like the shape I used to be in.. I'm sitting here looking down at the tummy-that-followed-me-to-Texas and meal planning as we speak .. er.. I write.. haha.

It is a really fun way to run with a group. It's particularly popular here in NC too, so I have no doubts you have a hash house near you... But a word of warning: This can be a particularly vulgar group. Not in the "omg I touch people inappropriately" sort of way, but more in a bro-mance thick-skin way. I'm not quite as vulgar and openly brazen as the people in my group (I have an innate distrust of my more vulgar humor being around other women), but they're very kind and great people nonetheless and they did such a fantastic job giving me a social outlet in a strange new town. (I also don't drink beer, which no one really minds considering they get more beer to themselves.) Otherwise, if you're okay with some outlandish songs and some toilet humor along the way, the whole thing is really fun!! If you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods you can walk/run a trail with me. This mountain air gives me like a fraction of the O2 I'm used to :rofl1:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I haven't posted in a while

Been doing decent on exercise

But that's really about it.

Anytime my routine is screwed up, everything goes...
The same thing happens to me.
I went on a 4 day vacation and it took me 3 weeks to get back into my routine.

...I've been working on embracing my body type and owning it, instead of trying to change it. I already feel a lot better about my body image than i used to. Still have a ways to go though.
THAT is some IMPORTANT emotional work, right there!
Good for you!:hug:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My lunches have been teeny tiny lately because I just haven't been as hungry with the cooler weather and the less activity overall. My favorite lately: Biscoff cookie spread, some whipped cream, and banana.

Just got some ingredients for quite a few meals for us. It's been interesting trying to divide everything up into proper meals for.. only 2. hahaha sometimes 1!

THAT is some IMPORTANT emotional work, right there!
Good for you!:hug:

Ditto! Great job there!!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Tried cooking skinnytaste's broccoli and cheese tater tots and OMG were they good! I got the recipe a little bit wrong I think because the mixture was very moist (I also put the broccoli a biiit too long in the food processor.. maybe I should have sticked to hand choppin' them) so the cook time was nearly 40 minutes per plate vs 18 minutes, but even so they still were absolutely incredible! Tons and tons of flavor no-guilt-actually-makes-you-full side dish. :wubbie:

My girl Betty Rocker started another challenge video set, and I'm going to take her up on her offer as I always do.
So my work out routine for the next 30 days: Betty Rocker and Yoga, Le Tour De Hash and weight lifting this upcoming week, and P90X resuming afterwards.

The farm next to us offered us all the lettuce we could possibly eat, so we're going on a salad kick this week too. :) Getting some accessories for the salad today. Yay almost free salad! I'm making a pretty big batch of oatmeal tonight as well for breakfast because I need to get on a better eating routine here. My boyfriend is the WORST at eating routines. Today it was a banana with cream for breakfast, a healthy protein/veggie sandwich for lunch, yogurt for a snack, and leftover cooked sliders and tots and salad for dinner.

I'm going to get some chocolate milk and use it for a recovery drink as well. Coconut water is great, but it's just not doing it for me right now. I need some bulk!

Red pepper flakes in maple syrup heated up is also amazing, as a side note for anyone.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I did my Wednesday and Sunday exercise routine.
Not so faithful with the situps because I was late for work every day this week.
I got a very nice NordicTrack SL760 at a yard sale for $50!
It's a very sturdy machine with a bunch of bells and whistles... just what I wanted.:D

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Working out this morning instead of the evening because there's a run this evening that I want to be in quasi-shape for. Day 2 of Le Tour De Hash! So Betty Rocker, some upper body/arms weight lifting, and yoga.

Creamed spinach, bacon, and scrambled eggs tacos and whipped cream dessert banana for brunch :) then work out then all the studying I can possibly handle until I go running. Dinner will be pork sausage asian bowls with cauliflower rice, soba noodles, and stir fry veggies.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
For breakfast: Eggs and bacon tacos.
Banana-only ice cream with strawberry rhubarb jelly swirled into it for lunch! Whoo! :) Turns out that a food processor makes banana ice cream a LOT faster and just as beautifully as a high speed blender. Sweet!
Dinner I have yet to decide on yet. :shrug:

I've been doing my work outs and yoga just fine lately, and running a decent amount too (though probably less than 1 mile total of running distance still.. only 1/3 of my goal by the end of the year) but my hips have had a lingering pain that has not gone away. I know rest isn't going to help it because it started DURING restful times. :/ So I think that July I will go get official at the new VA clinic and get them to help me figure out what's wrong.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
My life last week got taken over by a small infestation of fleas! So I didn't spend any time on the floor doing ab crunches. Was sleeping on the couch all week so I frankly forgot all about it... pure survival mode.

My daughter came over yesterday and helped me dismantle the new exercise bike to see why it wasn't working and sure enough, the man who assembled it for me tore open the power cable while screwing in one of the screws. There were 5 wires in the cable and one was completely broken through and another one was slightly broken. I cut out the bad part of the cable. My daughter helped me strip down a half inch of wire on all 10 ends. Then I twisted them back together, wrapped them with electrical tape then wrapped the whole thing with duct tape... and it's working!! :static: It made me feel very powerful!

I didn't do my exercise program on Wed but I did do it this morning, despite a sinus headache.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My life last week got taken over by a small infestation of fleas! So I didn't spend any time on the floor doing ab crunches. Was sleeping on the couch all week so I frankly forgot all about it... pure survival mode.

My daughter came over yesterday and helped me dismantle the new exercise bike to see why it wasn't working and sure enough, the man who assembled it for me tore open the power cable while screwing in one of the screws. There were 5 wires in the cable and one was completely broken through and another one was slightly broken. I cut out the bad part of the cable. My daughter helped me strip down a half inch of wire on all 10 ends. Then I twisted them back together, wrapped them with electrical tape then wrapped the whole thing with duct tape... and it's working!! :static: It made me feel very powerful!

I didn't do my exercise program on Wed but I did do it this morning, despite a sinus headache.

Always so satisfying to get something fixed! Glad your bike is fine now! :) It might be worth it to, later on, get some of that stuff that shrinks around the wire with a bit of heat. Those things don't wear out after a while like tape will.

As for me! I am two days behind on my challenges. I did go running/hiking/walking about 3 miles through fields and trees and shiggy (a slang word in hashing, apparently, for unpaved, non-trail areas that are full of brush, twigs, thorns, and general nature) and today I helped clean out a pool in our yard so it isn't like I did NOTHING.. but the weekend was really busy. Tomorrow and the next day I'll be doubling up my work outs (they're only 15 minutes each so I can take an hour break in between, and the yoga I can do for longer it helps me so 40 minutes of yoga isn't so bad at all) so that I can stay on pace. :) I'll use it as my afternoon break from studying.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Our fruit bowl is officially full of yummy goodness. :)

Apparently my community has a free garden gift exchange thing that goes on every Thursday. Which is pretty amazing! Free salad fixings. The farm down the road from us gave us all the lettuce we could ever dream of too so we just pluck it from the ground when we need it. And on that same Thursday they have a Welcome Table lunch so we can go in, try things people made out of their gardens, and eat with the community. It's pretty awesome.

Dinner last night was Pho, not too shabby in the health/unhealthy department. Breakfast was banana and biscoff, yogurt with a bit of vanilla bean curd, and a nice cold pickle. Lunch will be leftover pork tenderloin (they're $2 a piece right now at the local grocery store!!!) in leftover pho. Dinner is probably going to be leftovers + salad + fruit as well since we have a lot of leftovers from our week of super socializing.

I'm pretty sure if I wanted to I could eat for almost free 3-4 nights a week around here. Crazy stuff. Carrot soup came out well :) I'm freezing the rest and making a leek soup next. I really would like a bigger freezer space.

Last night we had no internet.. so no studying, no working out, no nothing! :( Today I'll be doing an endurance work out that'll last about an hour, and then do an hour of yoga, but I'm breaking it all up in segments between studying. Lots of that to do before Tuesday.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yesterday we went to a s'mores party. The last time I got a tummy ache from eating too much candy, I was in basic training. They TOLD us not to eat too much candy.. and I didn't THINK it was too much.. but it was. And I had a miserable 4 hour 'pass'. Even when I was a kid during Halloween I was pretty careful not to give myself a tummy ache because I wanted to stay up all night and watch scary movies.

Yesterday I had a terrible achey belly from 5 s'mores. Looked like an episode of hoarders in my tummy last night. It still hurts this morning. :( Going to drink some fennel ginger tea and eat a salad and some spinach and hope it all goes away magically.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I finally tried my zucchini noodle maker today. Result? The thing is pretty damn cool! I dunno what it is with me buying gadgets and trying them a month later, but at least they've all been working out fine for me. Really cool little device. Made spaghetti with half zucchini noodles and half whole wheat noodles with some spicy sauce and frozen sausage-sauce I made the last time I came to visit here. (This is why I make too much and freeze it for later. Instant yummy later on.)

I made an AMAZING broccoli sauce the other evening too! On the menu:
To drink: Ginger peach tea and juiced minty watermelon and milk
For some breakfast: A batch of roasted apple pie oatmeal
For some lunches: Almost entirely leftovers
For some dinners: Broccoli-sauce tortellinis, Shepard's pie, eggs and bacon-pancakes with onion-cucumber salad, pork tenderloin with mashed potatoes and veggies

A work out diary is really useful. I've been keeping one. I think I'm going to add my food that I eat to it too.

When I look back on my tracking for the month, I worked out 16 days out of 30. Half of those days were only 15 minute work out sessions with 15-30 minutes of yoga after. No wonder I've been sucking wind with everything--my work out sessions are brutally short. I really REALLY love my 15-minute 30-day challenges, but they won't cut it for my work out goals.. they're more keep my body moving helpers. So I might just have to start doing 45-minute sessions. Find a 30 minute session to correspond with my 30 day challenge work outs, and do the yoga after to make it 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours total. There's no getting around it all, I have to do this at least 3-4 times a week if I'm going to maintain my body strength. Anything else is just not enough for me.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I got one of those veggie noodle maker things a month or two ago, too, but I haven't tried it yet. I think because I'm not 100% sure what to do after I spiralize the veggies.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Checking in...
Didn't exercise on Wednesday because I forget why. I think I got home very late.
I did use my exercise bike for 10 minutes and before anyone scoffs, let me tell you, the 10 minutes was TOUGH!
I expect that eventually I will increase my endurance and strength as I continue.
I fully intended to exercise this morning, but I had a new flea bite this morning, so I spent 2 hours moving furniture, wiping down furniture, vacuuming furniture and the floors and spraying with flea killer.
I say that counts as a replacement.
I have not been doing ab crunches because I forgot. I'm not allowing my cat into my bedroom anymore, so my floor is probably safe. Oh wait... I remember now... I hurt myself last weekend with all that heavy lifting, down in my groin, and it hurt when I did abs, so I stopped to give it time to heal.

I love you guys. Hang in there. Keep up the good work.

wolfy

awsm
I did a lot of training this week. I work in the gym and gave six lessons, two more than normal this week. Body Pump, it is weights to music. About 800 to 1000 reps in one hour so you burn a few calories. I am also getting ready for a powerlifting competition ao am doing some heavy lifting as well.

I thought I had put on some serious size on my upper body the other day, but I had put on my wifes shirt.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
... I thought I had put on some serious size on my upper body the other day, but I had put on my wifes shirt.
teehee.gif