• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2015 Health and Fitness Challenge!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My job is so sedentary. This is a huge roadblock for me in making lasting habits. Occasionally I look at walking desks online and fantasize about getting one, but there's no room in my current house. (Right now my desk is the sofa.) Earlier this week I had an idea- get something that can attach to a treadmill at the gym and just take my shit over there a few hours a day. My Surf Shelf arrived in the mail today, and I plan to start using it tomorrow. :)

Amazon.com : SurfShelf Treadmill Desk: Laptop and iPad Holder : Exercise Treadmills : Sports & Outdoors

41psbsmGYpL.jpg

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
^PS, that's definitely not me.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That's not even really my "goal" physique. I'm going for "can break you in half." ;)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Jumped up to 128 lbs. I'm pretty happy about that, except I know it isn't the weight I want to carry. It's all just fat. Still, i'll take the confidence boost.

I've been browsing Low Sodium girl's stuff (Sodium Girl — adventures in a sodium-free life) trying to put together meal plans for my father. He doesn't seem to understand sugar and salt are hidden in EVERYTHING--and he shouldn't be having either. Luckily many things low sugar recipe-wise tend to be low salt as well.. I see he's trying very hard, and I'm super proud of him for just trying to cut back on the sweets.

Meanwhile, I'm no longer struggling to get the calories I need in, so I'm happy about that, I've hit over my marks 5 days in a row.. Unfortunately, mostly due to eating to stay awake and alert while studying, which has explained the weight gain.. and none of it was particularly 'healthy' which I nearly always equate to 'how many vegetables are in the dish'. Lots of protein, and fat, and fruit, and healthy carbs but no vegetables always makes me feel more sluggish and blah. I need some vegetable soups and some salad dressings to pick me up from my veggie slump.

Last edited:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I didn't check in last Sunday.
I didn't exercise at all during the week while my son was home.
I did my ab crunches every morning and I tried planking on a few mornings.
I did exercise Sunday morning... so once out of 2-3 times that I should have.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I started physical therapy again officially last week, and went this week as well. They think my back is causing my hip problems. :/ Boooo.. But I've got to get some equipment to help me do some of the therapies they want me to complete every day. It's a laundry list @_@

- Legs up propped against a wall to start with for 30 seconds 3-4 times. Then let them rest a moment.
- Warm up hips with heating pads
- Leg swings 10 on each leg 2x
- Grok squats 30 seconds 2-3x
- Pigeon pose 30 seconds 2-3x
- Leg-knee stretches 2-3x each leg
- Bridge pose 5-10 seconds 10 reps 2-3x
- Spine stretch on knees (Cat-cow poses) 4-5x holding for 3-4 seconds each
- Spine stretch on back (crossing the bent leg over) 10-20 seconds 2x each
- Hydrants 10x each leg
- Hip adduction (squeezing a ball between my knees) 10 seconds 10 reps 2-3x
- Clamshells (with rubber band resistance) 5 seconds 10 reps 2-3x
- Hip obliques on wall 30 seconds 5x each
- Hamstring supine stretch (with stretch band) 30 seconds 5x each
- Gluteal stretch (with ball.. but I don't have one) 30 seconds 5x each
- Foam roller and tennis ball rolling on back/spine, IT band, and hamstrings after all of that.

.... That about sums it up for 'things I need to do to fix my hips'. :/ They really didn't appreciate my "Ain't nobody got time fo that!" joke either.

I don't really like this list, and I have none of the equipment for it yet.. I'm going to make a foam roller out of PVC pipe, duct tape, and insulation.. because those foam rollers are like $30 alone! I also have a device made for thigh-master-work but I can use it to squeeze my knees too, and I have the bands.. so I just need to find a clearance fitness ball and figure out where to store that sucker in my room lol. I wanted one anyways.

I also got some sole inserts for free, thankful for that. :) They do feel really good in my shoes, but I worry sometimes that maybe my old inserts are what caused my arches to be weak in the first place...

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This week has been so awesome. I walked while working for two to three hours every workday but Wednesday. On Tuesday, after walking I got in the pool on my lunch hour and did some stretching and easy swimming. The difference in how I feel is remarkable- I feel more awake, alert, just better. I'm definitely keeping this up.

Edited to add: my steps totals this week have all been over 10K- a few times I went over 15K.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I'm hoping to regain my endurance. When I peaked, I used to be able to do 10 miles.

I have 38 inch thighs, 15 inch calves and 13 inch arms. I've been lifting weights for about a year.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ I have 38 inch jelly, 15 inch frowny-faces, and 13 inch trails of envy tears. I've been reading your post for like 2 seconds.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Suupperrrrr proud of my nameless friend :whistling: who took a picture of her progress and current body.

Dear friend:
You've come a long way, with a long more way to go. I think you look great, and you should be tremendously proud of yourself. All those ladies giving you hippy-happy comments of encouragement are totally right. People need to see you and get used to the idea that the journey is far more important than the looks and end results.. Plus I think most people who aren't heavy/struggle with weight luck out with genes and are just plain lazy and it catches up with them later in life and they cannot handle the emotional trauma that befalls them when that happens. Skinny people have health problems too. You're awesome.
- Kyu

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Had a bad week. Was supposed to be in Florida this morning, but my father went to the hospital, so I am going next week instead.
It's just as well, this morning I discovered a tree broke and is precariously leaning toward my house. Getting estimates. Hoping someone can cut it down in the next couple of days.
I will do my exercise program tomorrow morning.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ Sorry about the run of bad luck. :hug:

As for me, physical therapy like crazy today, and a new work out routine to get my body fired up. I think I'll eventually lean back towards P90X, X2 and 30 day shred materials, but for now I think 15 minutes a day 30 day challenge + 30 days of yoga + physical therapy each day and running and/or swimming when the weather calls for it + archery practice once a week is pleeenty of material to go with.

I've gotten astronomically weak throughout the past year and a half.. I'm breaking the trend this year I said, and I aim to do just that.

I cooked some bone broth over the past 48 hours in a slow cooker. I'm excited to turn it into a chicken and dumpling soup and lentil gravy.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Did my exercise program this morning... was proud of myself for that.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ Hell Yeah!

It feels good moving around again, even though I did it dog tired and inches away from going to sleep.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yet again, squeaking work outs in at pumpkin hour but I got them done! 4/5 days down. I skipped one of the days because I was so exhausted from work I couldn't hardly move, but I didn't skip the day, just continued the challenges where I left off after. I like that concept better. BR 30 day challenge, and 30 days of Yoga, going strong. Physical therapy? Clearly is the least interesting to me.. I've done a pitiful 1 time since my doctor's appointment. I need to do it though. I've gotta make room for it. I think maybe I'll cut the exercises in half... do half one day, half the other day, because it's better than none most days. 1 hour of PT is just sooo long and boring for me. I can't do it. Listening to a podcast helps a little, but then I lose my focus and counts too. :shrug:

Also, I made the richest thing I've ever made from health-food recipes. I drove all over town today until I finally found the gem I was looking for in the heart of Chinatown - Mori-nu silken firm tofu. No aftertaste, firm but smooth texture. Perfect. Melted guittard 63% dark chocolate chips with coconut milk until a smooth chocolate base, added tofu, cocoa powder, vanilla extract I made myself, 2 tbsp of vanilla bean curd for a sweetener (though I'm now convinced it doesn't need one at all), 2 tbsp of coconut milk, and the 1 1/3 cups of chocolate chips melted all into the blender. Baked a pie crust (I wanted a whole wheat one, but I got lazy and just bought one) and put the whole thing together and tossed it in the fridge. It was the perfect consistency. Topped with coconut whipped cream from so delicious. It's too rich to eat a whole piece, I ended up cutting the piece in half. 200 calories for such a rich taste. Ridic.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Week 1 of 4 is officially knocked out! My last day at that particular hospital, and I just completed day 8 of both Betty Rocker and 30 days of yoga challenges. <3 I'm well on my way to knocking out all 30 days.

Today was particularly challenging.. lots of hip stretches today for long periods of time, particularly the grok squat which my hips absolutely hate for more than 10 seconds. I had to try really really hard today, but I made it through somehow. They're a little sore after, but all I have to do now is sleep so I think it'll be okay. My PT guy says do gentle stretching.. but I've been gentle for over a year and it didn't get me anywhere. I think I'm just built for pushing myself.. physically and all.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Hi. I was away on vacation.

Welcome back! :hi:

Food is still free-is-best for me right now, it's been a complete vegetable desert.. I think this week somehow I'm going to take time to make some vegetable soups to eat because I can't handle this... non-vegetable meals multiple days in a row. My stomach's absolutely wrecked. Unfortunately people hand out Jason's Deli sandwiches for free and not salads so... you get what you get. :D

Day 12 is today, going strong despite 12 hours of clinicals and 3 hours of commuting on some of these days multiple times in a row!

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd like to participate, but don't yet have a plan written up. Be back sometime in the next week. :hi:
LOL, I never did get back to the thread with a plan. But I have been following one since late December and am feeling better results than I expected. Lost some weight I didn't want, gained a little that I did, watching calories. But most importantly to me, am noticeably getting stronger. I wondered in the beginning if doing such for my body would help me feel stronger in the mind as well.

Mainly, I like to lift weights and walk long distances for exercise. I've done both regularly in the past, but nowhere near as organized as I've been making an effort to be about it right now. I have a sedentary job, but living alone mitigates that when it comes to finding time to work out...as that situation may not last forever, best to wring what I can out of this space and time.