• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2015 Health and Fitness Challenge!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
There's no magic in Herbalife shakes. You don't need to buy anything to lose weight. The only way to lose weight is to take in fewer calories than you expend, on average, over time. You could eat too many Herbalife shakes and end up gaining weight. On the flip side, if you cut your calories too far you run the risk of rebounding- that's how I gained so much weight in the first place was going on crash diets where I wasn't eating enough, and then my body would rebel and I'd binge. As you said earlier we all have responsibility for how we got into whatever situation we're in, and that's how I got into the situation I'm in. The way I'm taking responsibility and fixing it now is by not abusing my body with crash diets, and instead eating at a very small deficit instead of trying to lose weight fast.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Well that's what it's called. You drink this drink that has all the vitamins, minerals and nutrition of a meal, but it's supposed to help you lose weight.
But an hour later my stomach is growling to high heaven.:huh:

That's because those shakes definitely do not have all the adequate nutrition a body needs to thrive. If it did, Herbal life would be making BANK money off of third-word-assistance funds and be a huge part of ending world hunger. Those advertisements are really a bit hokey.. I mean, if you don't eat anything in the morning or something, a protein shake or something like that might be better than starving yourself and binge eating on lunch... but those shakes wouldn't replace a meal at all in their own right. It'd really be better to eat the breakfast... but lacking that, a shake is better than starving one's self. But they lack the calories, satiety, and actual nutrients to do what they claim to do. Thats why they typically tell you to eat normal food along side it.. You're basically skipping eating and drinking something to fill your stomach in the meanwhile. :/ Its just expensive milky water with some protein in it. Im all for protein shakes, actually, but they shouldnt replace a meal..

Adding that to a small meal to boost calories? Or to make as a snack? Sure, definitely, and it won't really hurt you at all. But for a real actual meal replacement....

... nothing replaces a meal. :| I also wish it'd work like that though.

Not to knock your routine.. I mean, it just sounds like it isn't really working the way you'd hoped, being hungry just 1 hour later..

LonestarCowgirl

There's no magic in Herbalife shakes. You don't need to buy anything to lose weight. The only way to lose weight is to take in fewer calories than you expend, on average, over time. You could eat too many Herbalife shakes and end up gaining weight. On the flip side, if you cut your calories too far you run the risk of rebounding- that's how I gained so much weight in the first place was going on crash diets where I wasn't eating enough, and then my body would rebel and I'd binge. As you said earlier we all have responsibility for how we got into whatever situation we're in, and that's how I got into the situation I'm in. The way I'm taking responsibility and fixing it now is by not abusing my body with crash diets, and instead eating at a very small deficit instead of trying to lose weight fast.
Oh, yes, good advice! Something else to consider is have your last meal of the day no less than 3-hours before bedtime. You may have already heard varying opinions about this, but if you've reached a plateau in your weight loss, it's worth trying. I have done it for years to maintain and it works out well for me.

The key to curbing the appetite and losing weight is to get moving! Instead of hiring people, do the yardwork, housework, and walk the cart back to the store after shopping. Look for opportunities to burn calories.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It may also be that you don't need to lose weight. Maybe try loving yourself/your body exactly as it is now?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
It may also be that you don't need to lose weight. Maybe try loving yourself/your body exactly as it is now?

:/ I struggle with this mentality.. I definitely feel like people should love themselves for who they are, and as they are.. but I also believe that science doesn't lie, and obesity causes health problems as a bottom line. If you aren't obese, but lack any muscle definition or physical activity, you're also at risk. Skinny people get diabetes as well because there is such a thing as 'skinny fat' ... where over 50% of your body is pure fat, but you're not tipping any scales. I see it in the Asian community a lot when I was volunteering for BMI measurements and other health things. How do you tell someone skinny that they're fat without shaming them? Everyone needs to strive for improved health, to me.

There is an element of being comfortable in one's own skin, and a lot of love to be had in where someone is now-a-days. I don't think you can improve yourself without opening your heart to love yourself. But, if you're 20, 30, 100 lbs over weight... Saying, 'This is what I'm meant to be' sounds an awful lot like giving up on yourself to me. Society should NOT dictate how your body should look. But science should. And science has a lot to say that gives a LOT of wiggle room for all body types and sizes.

I know for me, I want to gain more weight. I look almost sick at 124 lbs right now. (I cringed just writing that.) I lack muscle, I lack activity, and I GAIN weight when I work out. I miss that, and I crave it. Of course I'm more comfortable in my skin at this weight than I was in any year previous when I had dropped. But it was far, far, far easier for me to love my overweight self (at 155 I think.. or 169?..I dunno..) than it is to love my underweight self. And society tells me I'd have more to lose, but science tells me no way, gain that weight girl.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
:/ I struggle with this mentality.. I definitely feel like people should love themselves for who they are, and as they are.. but I also believe that science doesn't lie, and obesity causes health problems as a bottom line. If you aren't obese, but lack any muscle definition or physical activity, you're also at risk. Skinny people get diabetes as well because there is such a thing as 'skinny fat' ... where over 50% of your body is pure fat, but you're not tipping any scales. I see it in the Asian community a lot when I was volunteering for BMI measurements and other health things. How do you tell someone skinny that they're fat without shaming them? Everyone needs to strive for improved health, to me.

There is an element of being comfortable in one's own skin, and a lot of love to be had in where someone is now-a-days. I don't think you can improve yourself without opening your heart to love yourself. But, if you're 20, 30, 100 lbs over weight... Saying, 'This is what I'm meant to be' sounds an awful lot like giving up on yourself to me. Society should NOT dictate how your body should look. But science should. And science has a lot to say that gives a LOT of wiggle room for all body types and sizes.

I know for me, I want to gain more weight. I look almost sick at 124 lbs right now. (I cringed just writing that.) I lack muscle, I lack activity, and I GAIN weight when I work out. I miss that, and I crave it. Of course I'm more comfortable in my skin at this weight than I was in any year previous when I had dropped. But it was far, far, far easier for me to love my overweight self (at 155 I think.. or 169?..I dunno..) than it is to love my underweight self. And society tells me I'd have more to lose, but science tells me no way, gain that weight girl.

Sure, everyone should take care of themselves physically and gain or lose weight if they are not in a healthy range (which is what I'm doing by dropping the lbs) but I don't think INTJMom is obese, though.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Sure, everyone should take care of themselves physically and gain or lose weight if they are not in a healthy range (which is what I'm doing by dropping the lbs) but I don't think INTJMom is obese, though.

I'm sure I don't know.. I don't remember her being obese anyways..

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Well, that's all I mean. I think a lot of people who are a normal, healthy weight have a specific number in mind that may or may not make sense for them, or they hate their (normal) body and want to change it. And while I do think people of all shapes and sizes should love themselves and their bodies just as they are, that doesn't preclude making necessary changes for health or mobility. As you say, it was only when I started to love myself and accept my body exactly as it was that I had the strength to make those necessary changes. I'm not making them out of desperation or body hate anymore- just the scientific fact that my health risks will be lower at a lower weight.

A lot of people who are trying to lose weight might feel better about themselves if they try body recomposition instead. https://gokaleo.com/2012/09/19/body...ve-pounds-and-how-to-deal-with-problem-areas/

LonestarCowgirl

If someone had the will, but couldn't find a way, what advice would you give them to overcome?

:/ I struggle with this mentality[...]

There is an element of being comfortable in one's own skin, and a lot of love to be had in where someone is now-a-days[...]

I know for me, I want to gain more weight. I look almost sick at 124 lbs right now. (I cringed just writing that.) I lack muscle, I lack activity, and I GAIN weight when I work out. I miss that, and I crave it. Of course I'm more comfortable in my skin at this weight than I was in any year previous when I had dropped. [

I struggle with it too. For a long time, I purposely didn't eat enough or fasted to stay under my ideal weight because I had irrational fears of getting fat like my mom and a couple of my sisters. I still have those fears. It's bad enough I worry about their health. For one thing, my mom and sisters don't have the stamina to do a lot of activities and it frustrates the heck out of me; especially, when I want a team effort to do something. I never ever want to be like that! I never ever want to become a burden to people!

As I grow older, I become wiser about what's a healthy weight for me. I'm healthy skinny now; meaning, I'm not under weight anymore; I'm at the lower end of the ideal weight range for my height.

But it was far, far, far easier for me to love my overweight self (at 155 I think.. or 169?..I dunno..) than it is to love my underweight self. And society tells me I'd have more to lose, but science tells me no way, gain that weight girl.

I don't think I could ever love myself fat. I'm curious, in what ways did being heavier make it easier to love yourself?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If someone had the will, but couldn't find a way, what advice would you give them to overcome?

The will to love themselves as-is, you mean?

I think I would start by purposefully thinking of one nice thing about the appearance of each complete stranger I pass in everyday life. It can be easier to generate that goodwill for others first, and then it sort of leaks into our self-concept. Even so, it's not that easy. We've gotten to a place where body-snark and picking at other human beings is commonplace and the norm. And we do it to ourselves worst of all.

LonestarCowgirl

The will to love themselves as-is, you mean?
Yes.

I think I would start by purposefully thinking of one nice thing about the appearance of each complete stranger I pass in everyday life. It can be easier to generate that goodwill for others first, and then it sort of leaks into our self-concept. Even so, it's not that easy. We've gotten to a place where body-snark and picking at other human beings is commonplace and the norm. And we do it to ourselves worst of all.
You're right. In other words, you believe everyone has the ability to reach deep into their core to love and be loved?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I don't think I could ever love myself fat. I'm curious, in what ways did being heavier make it easier to love yourself?

It may just be personal preference. I do NOT want to be seen or referred to as skinny. It drives me crazy, and nothing puts me down faster about myself than people thinking they're genuinely being nice (and also being genuine) and calling me skinny. Because it's pretty objective that that's how I look to others.

I've never had a strong craving to be super attractive or pretty, but I always found the most beautiful women to be bigger women.. Not obese, but thick and full bodied. The old school paintings of roman women, fake characters like Chung-Li and Lara Croft when I was a kid, celebrities like marilyn monroe which are still seen as so sexy.. they weren't skinny. None of them were. (despite what later renditions did to lara croft..) Full, thick legs, and muscles in the arms, they're attractive to me. Always have been. Skinny implies a boy-like appearance.. a lack of curves, and definition.. :/

LonestarCowgirl

It may just be personal preference. I do NOT want to be seen or referred to as skinny. It drives me crazy, and nothing puts me down faster about myself than people thinking they're genuinely being nice (and also being genuine) and calling me skinny. Because it's pretty objective that that's how I look to others.

I've never had a strong craving to be super attractive or pretty, but I always found the most beautiful women to be bigger women.. Not obese, but thick and full bodied. The old school paintings of roman women, fake characters like Chung-Li and Lara Croft when I was a kid, celebrities like marilyn monroe which are still seen as so sexy.. they weren't skinny. None of them were. (despite what later renditions did to lara croft..) Full, thick legs, and muscles in the arms, they're attractive to me. Always have been. Skinny implies a boy-like appearance.. a lack of curves, and definition.. :/

Skinny holds a very different connotation to me. If skinny means boyish figure to you, then I can see why you have an aversion to the word. Like you, I would prefer my figure look more like Marilyn Monroe's than Justin Bieber's. :)

Despite what people say (because we can't please everyone), at some point we recognize who we really are and whether we are where we should be. No matter what happened yesterday, today is a new day. Keep striving to improve yourself and challenge yourself to go the extra mile in your physical activities. I have warm admiration for you and your endeavors. You are well equipped to succeed. That goes for [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1125]INTJMom[/MENTION] too!

Mole

Permabanned
I would like to be pretty.

When I grew my hair long, I felt pretty and masculine but I realised what a lot of work there was in keeping my hair long and looking good. So I settled on a short back and sides for practical reasons.

I found the best way to wash my long hair was to take a bath with my girlfriend where we washed each others hair, but it was delightful but time consuming.

But I am grateful the fashion allowed me to experience long hair, so I knew what women went through to keep their long hair looking silky and beautiful every day.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I would like to be pretty.

:laugh: You are pretty.... Pretty beefy! :pumpyouup:

:cowboy:

Skinny holds a very different connotation to me. If skinny means boyish figure to you, then I can see why you have an aversion to the word. Like you, I would prefer my figure look more like Marilyn Monroe's than Justin Bieber's. :)

Despite what people say (because we can't please everyone), at some point we recognize who we really are and whether we are where we should be. No matter what happened yesterday, today is a new day. Keep striving to improve yourself and challenge yourself to go the extra mile in your physical activities. I have warm admiration for you and your endeavors. You are well equipped to succeed...

Oh yeah, skinny is definitely just negative all around in my book. I'd prefer 'fit' or 'toned' or 'in shape' any day of the week. But I know it's a very personal thing I feel strongly about.. most people are thankful to be called that that I meet. Most find me weird for it.

:D :encore: Thank you my dear! I hope to be super awesome for years and years to come. Whatever I end up doing, being in shape and having health in many aspects of my life is important to me.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Oh, yes, good advice! Something else to consider is have your last meal of the day no less than 3-hours before bedtime. You may have already heard varying opinions about this, but if you've reached a plateau in your weight loss, it's worth trying. I have done it for years to maintain and it works out well for me.

The key to curbing the appetite and losing weight is to get moving! Instead of hiring people, do the yardwork, housework, and walk the cart back to the store after shopping. Look for opportunities to burn calories.
Yeah... I heard it wasn't good to eat food too close to bedtime. It's OK?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm sure I don't know.. I don't remember her being obese anyways..

Well, actually, according to medical charts, I AM obese!
I'm 5'1", 56 years old and I don't own a scale but I think I weigh about 160 lbs.
I need to be about 140 pounds, which is still overweight, but the charts are unrealistic.
That would make me a size 10 or 12 again.
For the last 6 years I've been a size 14 but last year I had to buy size 16 jeans
and a whole new wardrobe of XL tops because I outgrew my size L clothes.
Losing weight is just too complicated of a science for me.
I only have ever lost weight when I lost my appetite from grief.
Otherwise my stomach growls like crazy.

btw: I did my exercise program twice this week and I did my minimum 30 ab crunches every morning.